GAS VS DIESEL

keithnel

Expert Expediter
Am going to buy a cargo van and need to know which would be better. Also if you used a diesel in a cargo van could it be allowed to run overnight the same as a big truck?

Thanks

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Gas engines are very capable of high miles. I know of 2 that exceeded a million in this business and many others that probably would have had no problem getting there. Overnight idle is also not a problem. Fuel injection was a major improvement for gas engines. The gas or diesel debate has been had here before and in my opinion there are good arguments for both.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
check the archeives, check the archeives, check the archeives.

seems there is a hard time getting d-max and sprinter simple maintainence items.....like filters from anywhere except a dealer and then only thru an act of congress. haven't read anything bad about ford parts yet.

i am like you, not driving but collecting information.

my suggestion is check the archeives.

Jack Berry

Marty

Veteran Expediter
The Sprinter diesel uses the least amount of fuel idling and isn't that what most of us have been doing most of the time lately.

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
A gas engine would be the cheapest to maintain and fix. If you keep up on regular maintence you should be fine and it also seems too that with alittle time on your hands its alot easier to lube up a gas then a diesel. Now the problem I seen and read is idleing a GAS Engine. This from what i learn in school and online is a no-no if it has a catilitic (sp) convertor. Which can get very hot from idleing for a period of time and then have problems with later.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>A gas engine would be the cheapest to maintain and fix. If
>you keep up on regular maintence you should be fine and it
>also seems too that with alittle time on your hands its alot
>easier to lube up a gas then a diesel. Now the problem I
>seen and read is idleing a GAS Engine. This from what i
>learn in school and online is a no-no if it has a catilitic
>(sp) convertor. Which can get very hot from idleing for a
>period of time and then have problems with later.

Diesels also have catylitic converters.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I've had diesel Fords and gas Chevys and I prefer the gasser for simplicity of repairs and cheapness of repairs. I think that either engine, well maintained, will outlast many of the other componets of the vehicle so that the useful and reliable life of these mostly highway mile vans is comparable. All I know about the Sprinter is what I've heard from other drivers and, thus far, I haven't seen any facts on operating/maintenance costs on the forum

The 8 cyl gas engine will get about 15-17 mpg and the 8 cyl diesel will be 18-20.

A Chevy diesel financed at 5% for 48 months will cost $5195 more than the gas engine. The same deal on the ford diesel is $5670 more.

Fuel costs vary from occasionally more for diesel and occasionallt more for gas. No way to predict the next five years so I'd call it a wash.

Using $3 as an avg cost of fuel; 100,000 miles per year, a gas engine at 16 mpg will burn $18,750. A diesel at 19 mpg will burn $15,789. A difference of $2961 per year.

Opinions vary considerably on oil change intervals. I choose to change between 4000 and 6000 mile or about 20 changes per year and I pay, on average, about $25 at Jiffy Lube, or $500 annually. I paid $45 for the diesel or $900.

Using these simple figures, but not considering repairs, a diesel engine should pay for itself in less than 2 1/2 years. Even less after the inevitable fuel cost increase. Perhaps a diesel owner will weigh in with repair costs on today's engines.

MSinger

Expert Expediter
Time will tell on the diesel prices. I am very concerned that when they bring out the new ultra low sulfur diesel to comply with the 2007 EPA standards their will be supply issues that will spike the diesel prices. Everytime the government sticks it's nose into something in order to save us from ourselves we end up getting shafted.
I found an old fuel ticket under the seat of my truck from May of 2003 the other day. I paid a whopping $1.359 for diesel. Now anything under $2.89 feels like a bargain. I miss the "good ol' days".

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
>Diesels also have catylitic converters.

Diesels have a different type of catylitic converter then gas engines do though they are called the same, but have different properties and work alil differently.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a hunch that back in May 2003 you weren't very happy paying $1.359 per gallon. It sure seems like a deal now though.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
To go beyond Terry's post as far as repairs is kind of tough. There are vehicles that go many miles with very little trouble and there are lemons. I hope I don't jinx myself, but it seems my van is doing better in terms of breakdowns as it gets older. Others seem to be constantly niclked and dimed when they get to that stage. It's a big decision and know it would be great to have someone give you a definitive answer.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
First, I wouldn't idle any engine overnight!

I have a Duramax Diesel in my Chevy 3500 and I only idle it for a few minutes to allow the turbo to cool before I shut it off.

Idle time means wear time!

You might buy a used van that has 50,000 on the odometer, but it could have another 50,000 miles of wear due to excessive idle time. Without an hour gauge you are really taking your chances.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The last several days in the midwest have seen heat indexs well over 100 degrees. Last night, the low temp in Detroit was 79 degrees. If you can sleep in your van in those conditions more power to ya. Personally, I can't. My Powerstroke has 893k on the clock and I could'nt even begin to estimate the number of idle hours. It's just a fact of life in this business.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Greg,

It does not have an hour meter. I wish all vehicles had one.

I am just concerned about folks who buy used vans.

As far as the hot weather, I have screens that slip over the doors so I can lower the windows. I then sleep with my head up between the seats so I can take advantage of the cross ventilation.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Thanks David, the one I drove had one just like the Kodiak but that was preproduction. I know that there are timers that the ECM keeps and is accessable through OBD.

I don't think idling will hurt the 6.6 because the applications that use it, emergency, service and other vehicles that idle for long periods of time. I know that they had a Sierra down in Death Valley and in alaska idled them for 12 hours at a time without any problems.

I am limiting my idling until I can get into changing two injectors (I may just change them all out).