garmin dezl 760

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I deselected "auto" and it seems to be holding on EST/EDT. Thanks. I also bought a new computer. The old one was only sorta working. With any luck Delorme Street Atlas will run on THIS machine. Then, when used along with the Garmin, I will have all the options and capabilities that I am looking for.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
My Garmin 760 DEZL is 3 month's old and ithe sound went out on it the speaker icon shows it's on and the volume shows full but no sound will try to get ahold of tech support.

I had one the sound went out Customer Service had me do a factory reset and the sound worked,might not be the same for you though.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
I have but it is a total pain. It should be EASY to preplan a route.

They claim one can make a route on an online source and up load it but I have yet to try that. It would be SO EASY to make a couple of minor changes to these units and make them user friendly. It bugs me when programs tell me how I want to use the unit I buy.

Garmin has a free program you can download from there web site to plan a route,connect your Garmin to Computer and upload that route to it. It is called Base Camp,that might help you if you carry a Laptop with you.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There is a chance, albeit a slim one, that Delorme will run on this new machine.

It did not at first. It blue screened after about a hour, and we were not even moving. After a few setting chances, a partial reload, then using a GPS receiver that it says won't work with Windows 8, it seems to be.

It has been up for 6 hours now, no crash. We have made several changes, still up. Tomorrow will be the test. We will be moving.

IF it works, I will have want I want. The Garmin and Delorme, working together, filling in the "weak spots" that the other has.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I have a feeling that the "weak spot" will be sitting right in between the DeLorme and the Garmin. :D

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have a feeling that the "weak spot" will be sitting right in between the DeLorme and the Garmin. :D

Nope, it's under the shell.

YOU run YOUR truck according to YOUR needs. I run mine according to mine. There is also a such thing a personal preference.

The problem is a total lack of interest by Garmin, and most companies that make GPS receivers for cars, trucks etc, in any form of customer service. They have little to no interest in making a unit with programming that can be altered to fit the needs/wants of an individual. It's their way and that is it.

That is a poor attitude to say the least, arrogant as well. It will be their downfall. As they pay less and less attention to what their customers are saying the sales will begin to drop off. Over time a more savvy company will pick up their slack and take over their business.

There are several major differences between the Garmin Dezl 760 and Delorme Street Atlas. I require, for my operation, some features of both. Each is NOT capable of doing what the other can. Nothing I can do with the software provided can change that. SO, I want both in full function operation to compliment the other allowing me to have the features I desire in a navigation system.

IF and when SOMEONE produces what i want in a single system, I will buy that and have only one. As of right now, Delorme is FAR closer to what I want than the Garmin is. Neither company is known for their customer service. IF only they could take a page from Lowrance on that subject.

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Technology should be the servant answering 100% of the demands of it's master. [/FONT]

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I've spoken with Garmin customer service several times and have had no problems with them other than the one time there was an hour wait on the phone to get through. I was with Panther at the time so I didn't even notice that it was a long wait.

You're right about one thing, though, they have no interest in making a unit that can be reprogrammed by the end-user. It would be cost prohibitive, and they couldn't possibly hope to offer any kind of tech support for such a unit. But, if you're willing to pay the costs of development and production, they'll make you any kind of unit you want. For several years I was a beta tester for Garmin and ALK, so I know what all goes into the programming, and why it's simply not feasible to just open it up for countless user-modifications. Some of the very things you are complaining about are what the customers wanted most. Auto recalculate used to be an option that could be turned off. But most people wanted it, and they had a ridiculous amount of tech support calls from people with it turned off who were complaining that it didn't work. So they turned in on and removed the option to turn it off. To say they don't listen to customers is just incorrect.

You want one until to do what you think it should do, and do it the way you want it to do it, but if you think about that, it's a little silly. It's not designed to be all things to all people. But it does seem to work quite well for a rather large majority of people. How many things do you own that will do everything you want them to do, and can be easily altered by anyone else to do exactly what all they want it do to, too? I assume you only have one gun, then, correct? Because one gun should be able to do anything and everything a gun should do. No need for a duck gun and a rifle and a handgun, right? When you go duck hunting, why do you use a boat and not your truck? Seems like a good truck should also be able to float, or at least be easily modified for duck hunting.

I have a Garmin, DeLorme, Streets & Trips, and PC Miler, and there are major differences between all of them. But they all work quite well as long as you understand they are tools with limitations to be used within the parameters of what they are designed to do. Instead of griping and moaning about what they won't do, it's better to learn what they will do, and then use those tools as needed. Become the master of the tools, instead of getting owned by them.

They funny thing is, there are very few things DeLorme (and the others) can do that the Garmin can't. But the Garmin won't do them in exactly the same way DeLorme will. Same with Streets & Trips, very few things it can't do that the Garmin can. The Garmin can import databases of locations, pre-plan trips with precise routing, export and import maps and routes, the whole bit. But, you've gotta invest the time to learn how to tool works, to make it do what you want, just like you did with DeLorme.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
One, FACT! I cannot turn off the GPS function on Garmin, I CAN on Delorme. TWO, FACT! I cannot display 10 city blocks of Brooklyn, with street names etc, without the screen moving with Garmin, I can with Delorme. THREE, FACT! Garmin does not give an ETA with both the DAY and time on it, assuming a run goes past a midnight time frame, Delorme does.

I am WELL aware that each unit/program has it's limitations which is EXACTLY why I need both up and running properly.

Garmin has NEVER been noted for it's customer service. When I sold units , both at Cabela's and Gander Mountain, I would OFTEN get customer questions/complaints about the units. IF it was a Garmin there was little I could do. I had to call the same number as you would, wait for however long, mainly to be told that is how it is and to just deal with it.

Not so with Lowrance. Sales people had a different tech help number than the general public. I would get a tech who could OFTEN find work arounds for problems my customer was having. Programming changes were rather simple. They often would make a change, for the individual customer, send me the "chip" with those changes on it and I would then give that chip to the customer. Before I passed the chip to the customer I would first run it on the unit and learn it so I could help the customer. I would demo it for them on a display unit. Lowrance did it that way to insure that their dealers would, one, know the units better and, two, insure they provided the kinds of personal service customers expected. Lowrance also provided about ten times the amount of sales force training than Garmin did. THAT is how customer service SHOULD be done.

Is it still that way? I don't know, I am no longer in that business. Garmin is still the same though. I call that number, wait for however long, just to be told that the unit cannot do what I want and to deal with it.

You usage of a nav system and mine are about as different as our businesses are. There are similar things and vast differences. Stock programming may well work for you, it does not for us.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
One, FACT! I cannot turn off the GPS function on Garmin, I CAN on Delorme.
A Garmin is a dedicated GPS receiver and as such is not designed to be turned off. In fact, it would be useless as a GPS receiver if it can't receive GPS signals. DeLorme is a software map making program that also supports a GPS receiver. You can buy DeLorme with and without the receiver. You can also buy Garmin MapSource software and use it without a receiver.

TWO, FACT! I cannot display 10 city blocks of Brooklyn, with street names etc, without the screen moving with Garmin, I can with Delorme.
That's because the Garmin isn't an Atlas, it's a GPS navigation unit, whereas DeLorme is an Atlas. However, yes, you can display 10 city blocks of Brookly with street names on the Garmin without the screen moving.

THREE, FACT! Garmin does not give an ETA with both the DAY and time on it, assuming a run goes past a midnight time frame, Delorme does.
You got me on that one - the Garmin assumes you know how many hours are in a 24-hour day.

You usage of a nav system and mine are about as different as our businesses are.
You might be very surprised at how I use my nav system.

My particular Garmin is an old one, and it only allows me to input one waypoint enroute. That's it, just one. But I can still get mine to do whatever you want it to do, I guarantee it. :D

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You got me on that one - the Garmin assumes you know how many hours are in a 24-hour day.

Many runs OFTEN span two or three days. It is helpful when FDCC calls for an estimate on my arrival time, to be able to give them a both a TIME and DAY without sitting there figuring out which day I will be arriving.

I KNOW the difference between the two, which is EXACTLY why I want BOTH. It takes both to do what WE need. Trying to input 6 pages of hazmat routing would be a REALLY big pain in the butt on the Garmin. Neither Delorme nor Garmin meet 100% of OUR needs/wants alone but together they get within 95%.

It also does not change the fact that Garmin customer service sucks.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
I've been happy with Garmin tech support. They even told me how to go inside the unit and disable a feature that wasn't working right.

eb

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Garmin tech support told me that there was no possible way to keep the unit on EST/EDT. Thanks to the EO member that told me how I could.

Now, if I could just get them to put in a "fix" to be able to shut of the reroute "feature" when I want to. When I need it, I need it. When I don't it is a royal pain. Most of the time I have ZERO use for it.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
For anyone dealing with Garmin tech support, I would suggest emailing them. It may take a couple exchanges to get them to understand the issue, but my theory is that through email, the tech can manage their response and spend more time on a problem than when they are stuck on the phone with one customer. And don't approach them as if you think their product is crappy. Just stick to trying to solve the issue at hand.

eb

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'll give you $50 for it. I need a new paperweight :)

As part of a "team" with Delorme, it will do EXACTLY as I intend to use it. I take advantage of it's limited capabilities, the limited capabilities of Delorme, and between the two I get 95% of the capabilities that I want. That is just about as close as I can get.