Ford or GMC HCV van

ohiomike08

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know I've seen a couple of post by O/O running the Ford/Chevy/GMC HCV van (the search in the forums had zero results).

If you run one, I'd like to know how well the conversion was done, and if your carrier gives you Sprinter rates. A dealer local to me has one that I'm going to look at next week, but I'd like some "insight" before I go talk with the dealer.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
You may want to check "Free Classifieds" to see if Jack Berry's rig is still available.

Camper

Not a Member
I know I've seen a couple of post by O/O running the Ford/Chevy/GMC HCV van (the search in the forums had zero results).

If you run one, I'd like to know how well the conversion was done, and if your carrier gives you Sprinter rates. A dealer local to me has one that I'm going to look at next week, but I'd like some "insight" before I go talk with the dealer.

You might want to check out Chef's thread on his Cargomax set up. I think that should give you some ideas with respect to outfitting.

As for HCV vs. Sprinter, if the setup you have is conducive to Sprinter loads, the rates will follow. The main advantage with an HCV is maintenance and repair costs. Generally speaking, the parts are significantly less expensive than those of a Sprinter.

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
Cliffs: 2 prominent members have a ford and a chevy, both seem very happy with them. If you search for Jack Berry's thread entitled "amazing discount" you will see his Ford hcv and like someone else mentioned ChefDennis has a Chevy, both threads are A1 reads.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The HCV and CargoMaxx are two different vans. The CargoMaxx is built on a cutaway platform while HCV is built on an existing van body.

If I were to get an HCV I would go with the Chevy/GMC because of the 155" wheelbase. I prefer the long wheelbase for the ride and loading options it offers.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I don't normally upload pictures but I ran into the fifth Ford Transit today on the road in some sort of commercial capacity.

I think these are the test vehicles that I heard were released to fleets and I know that in Elkhart a certain RV maker has some sitting being made for customers. Sorry about the quality of the picture, I only had my beat up old phone with me.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
it is as ugly as dirt, but if it has a good gvw and load floor length with a competetive price, bring it on, all the better for choices...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I know it looks ugly but I was asked something the other day when I picked up my new (ok used but new to me) truck, what I thought about the way it looked. I said I didn't care about what styling it had because I don't run along side it or sit on the side of the road staring at it when I'm driving it. What matters to me is what the cab looks like and how it feels to me because I spend 12 hours in that seat.

The transits I drove were nice, a bit softer in the seats than a sprinter but overall comfortable to drive.

Camper

Not a Member
I don't normally upload pictures but I ran into the fifth Ford Transit today on the road in some sort of commercial capacity.

I think these are the test vehicles that I heard were released to fleets and I know that in Elkhart a certain RV maker has some sitting being made for customers. Sorry about the quality of the picture, I only had my beat up old phone with me.

I wonder if the intent is to retire the Econoline in favor of this.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well I would hope so.

I think that they would do well to have dual van lines for a bit and then phase out the original Econoline.

Maybe understanding that there is a world market and making a van that fits in all markets may be a bit more cost effective for them and more profits in the long run.

They do sell them in Mexico.

Camper

Not a Member
Well I would hope so.

I think that they would do well to have dual van lines for a bit and then phase out the original Econoline.

Maybe understanding that there is a world market and making a van that fits in all markets may be a bit more cost effective for them and more profits in the long run.

They do sell them in Mexico.

The standard cargo van is certainly long in the tooth and long overdue for a make over. My guess it will eventually be put out to pasture by all the major automakers in favor of the Sprinter/transit type design.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Not to get into a Ford vs Chevy debate
but I like the Ford, the engine is slightly smaller 5.4 vs the 6.0 in the Chevy which gets slightly better mileage.
The Fords have been around in the same basic style for nearly 20 years so parts are plentiful and cheap in junkyards
I would say neither is a bad truck, I just prefer the Ford:)

I can't stand the mirrors they use on the Chevy's they shake way to much

Camper

Not a Member
Not to get into a Ford vs Chevy debate
but I like the Ford, the engine is slightly smaller 5.4 vs the 6.0 in the Chevy which gets slightly better mileage.
The Fords have been around in the same basic style for nearly 20 years so parts are plentiful and cheap in junkyards
I would say neither is a bad truck, I just prefer the Ford:)

I can't stand the mirrors they use on the Chevy's they shake way to much

The only draw back with Ford vs. Chevy/GMC is that the resale values tend to be significantly lower.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Ford has missed a few opportunities to introduce the transit to the US market.

I think if they did in in 2007, they would have taken a lot of sales away from D-C and effectively replaced the sprinter as the large van in the US market. The sprinter, as good as it is, never had the name behind it and lacked an identity - is it a dodge, freightliner or Mercedes?

I wish they would make up their minds but they are being overly cautious. A couple Diesel options would be nice.

The old van is good but old and a tired design. The styling has not been overhauled since the 1970s.

ohiomike08

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks to chefdennis! I really like the CargoMax. This is the vehicle every vanner should want. Found a video on YouTube that shows a little about how its put together. I'll post the link latter today. Having 14ft of floor space and the inside height of a Sprinter is very appealing to me.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus

E1 gave us buck a mile loads for anything over 48" tall or 100 inches in lth. My truck is still available and ready to roll. See your pms.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
OhioMike..I had heard there was a You Tube in the construction of the CargoMax, but i had forgotten about it and never looked for it...Thanks for reminding me...while see it is cool and i wish i d seen it before i bought mine, i still would buy it again and the video just re-forces that...thanks, here is the link:

CargoMax 600

CargoMAX 600 - YouTube