Flying J, Management 101

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
It was a beautiful morning at the J in Houston,TX. The manager woke up ready to get started at his challenging job. Knowing that Flying J is in bankrupcy he reviewed his possible options for the day:

* Umm, maybe I should hold a mini meeting this morning and get the employees fired up to provide the very best customer service. . . .Nah, that would be a waste of time

* Maybe I should get someone to clean those showers since the regular person didn't show up . . . . .Nope, the truckers can wait.

* Perhaps I should open another register since there is a long line of truckers waiting . . . No, I don't want to add extra payroll.

* I've got it! I'll get security to go out and wake up those **** expediter drivers and make them move out of the front lot.

That was the decision made by the manager.

Now, we sit in the regular lot. A straight truck taking up an 18 wheeler spot. We are watching truck after truck circle the lot just hoping to get some rest and perhaps a hot meal. Our hearts go out to them because the entire lot is filled to overflow capacity and we wonder where they will end up. Good news though, the front lot is empty.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
I spent Christmas day there in my wittle bitty van in the front parking lot. Loads of fun that was. At least i didn't get kicked out tho...I might have had to go to the Pilot or TA across the street. lol:D

miguy1957

Expert Expediter
The flying J isnt the only place that is mis managed, go just aboout anywhere there is almost no place that has customer service any more. and as long as customers put up with it. It wont change as long as we follow the crowd and keep doing business with them. look at all the places that want you to check out your own stuff they dont ever want to pay someone to take your money...........
________
Live sex webshows

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The Flying J in Houston... is that the one where they have those signs all around the perimeter of the parking lot that says, "No bobtails or straight truck parking"?

Lots of straights at the J in Baytown.

Self-checkout at a store is a joke. I don't go to the grocery store or to a retail store to, uhm, work. If they want me to check myself out, they can pay me. Ten percent off or something. It's like self-fueling at the gas station. When it first started, and in places where you can find both, there's a discount for self-serve versus full-service.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
This is just a query.. just wondering.. the J, and perhaps others, don't want the trucks parked out front.. why? Does it turn other travellers off? Make them hesitant to stop in? If so, why? Are these places getting the bulk of their profits (note I said 'profits' vs 'sales'), from truckers, or other travellers? It would only make sense for them to cater to whoever is buttering their bread, right?
My thoughts are that as a biz owner, if the truckers were keeping them in business, they'd be catering to the truckers, perhaps at the expense of the other travellers, (if they couldn't have it both ways for whatever reason). Are the truckers spending money there? Obviously they're spending it on fuel, but is there enough profit on diesel sales? Or do they get the bulk of their profit from selling the other stuff?

Re the self-serve checkouts.. I LOVE them! Seems many are not wanting to do this task for themselves, which makes the lineups reduced for these checkouts.. and that's discount enough for me! Nevermind that I can swipe the stuff through as fast as I want and just gitter done without all the incompetence and nicety-making with the checkout girl. Guess I make a lousy co-driver tho, cuz I'd rather go out of my way and pay the extra not to have to handle the fuel nozzle. :eek:

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I like the self checkouts also. There is never any line and I can get in and out!!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh they gotta have spots for them RV'ers....the ones that fuel up on the RV card with the penny off and get the FREE sewer dump..then proceed to take 2 parking spaces for the tipouts and cook their own food, use the toilet facilities and leave in the morning and not spend a dime!! them mouchers really deserve a parking spot...

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
OVM..you must be referring to the J in Ruther Glen, VA. That place is a campground for RV's

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
OVM..you must be referring to the J in Ruther Glen, VA. That place is a campground for RV's

and Milford PA...all them crazy frenchman from Quebec!

The W. Memphis J gets full as well most times and that is a small lot!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh and nearly every J we've been to shift change 7am and 7:10 drivers washroom "Closed for Cleaning" I mean holy crappers Batman..That is prime time!! :mad:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am in Ruther Glen now. No RV's in back yet but a ton of them out front. Hey, the "J" is retail, what do you expect? You know the old saying, "If you can't do, teach and if you can't teach go into retail" I just made that old saying up. My few years in retail were a real eye opener. The clincher, the issue that made me look into expediting was because the the stupidity of retail. I was the fishing department manager at the Gander Mountain store in Taylor Michigan. I grew up in the area and knew the fishing in the area well. Gander buyers wanted me to sell "walleye rigs" that were made in China. Cheap componets, bad knots etc. I had very poor sales. My stock from the buyers in general did not fit the area. Wrong colors, wrongs sizes and wrong selection. SOOO, I set about fixing it. I brought in the correct products for the area. I found a local producer for my "walleye rigs" and stocked them. My sales went up over 60% the first month after I changed my stock. The result of my efforts? I got in a whole lot of trouble. The "walleye rigs" had a 25% mark-up, the junk ones had a 40% mark up. I thought 25% of a lot of sale was much better than 40% of nothing but corporate did not. They also did not want me to sell the colors and sizes of lures that I stocked. Why? Not enough mark up. They got a "deal" on the colors they wanted to sell. Of course the did, the lure companys could not sell them either. They sucked. So, I asked the following questions of my district managaer: Was I responsible for my departments sales numbers? "Yes" Was I responsible for my departments profits? "Yes" If I did poorly would I be fired? "YES" If I did well would I be promoted? "MAYBE" If I was responsible for my numbers do I have control over what I sell to make those numbers? "NO" So I now expedite. I cannot manage if not allowed to do so. That is most likely why the "J" and most retailers are in the trouble they are in. They "RULE" from the top down. Much like our government. They know more than the people they hire. Then why hire them? Why would you hire people you think know less than you do? Layoutshooter

PalletJack

Expert Expediter
have you noticed that the truckstop managers that send the expediters and other trucks out back to make room for the "civilian" customers, are the same managers that allow their employees to park thier autos in the front row by the restaurant.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
I am in Ruther Glen now. No RV's in back yet but a ton of them out front. Hey, the "J" is retail, what do you expect? You know the old saying, "If you can't do, teach and if you can't teach go into retail" I just made that old saying up. My few years in retail were a real eye opener. The clincher, the issue that made me look into expediting was because the the stupidity of retail. I was the fishing department manager at the Gander Mountain store in Taylor Michigan. I grew up in the area and knew the fishing in the area well. Gander buyers wanted me to sell "walleye rigs" that were made in China. Cheap componets, bad knots etc. I had very poor sales. My stock from the buyers in general did not fit the area. Wrong colors, wrongs sizes and wrong selection. SOOO, I set about fixing it. I brought in the correct products for the area. I found a local producer for my "walleye rigs" and stocked them. My sales went up over 60% the first month after I changed my stock. The result of my efforts? I got in a whole lot of trouble. The "walleye rigs" had a 25% mark-up, the junk ones had a 40% mark up. I thought 25% of a lot of sale was much better than 40% of nothing but corporate did not. They also did not want me to sell the colors and sizes of lures that I stocked. Why? Not enough mark up. They got a "deal" on the colors they wanted to sell. Of course the did, the lure companys could not sell them either. They sucked. So, I asked the following questions of my district managaer: Was I responsible for my departments sales numbers? "Yes" Was I responsible for my departments profits? "Yes" If I did poorly would I be fired? "YES" If I did well would I be promoted? "MAYBE" If I was responsible for my numbers do I have control over what I sell to make those numbers? "NO" So I now expedite. I cannot manage if not allowed to do so. That is most likely why the "J" and most retailers are in the trouble they are in. They "RULE" from the top down. Much like our government. They know more than the people they hire. Then why hire them? Why would you hire people you think know less than you do? Layoutshooter

Well said Shooter!

My wife is also a refuge from the retail management work camps and she said "Don't get me started"
I will relate that one time she had a great quarter, exceeding her goal and making a good bonus. 2 weeks later, letter from the company stating that they decided to increase the quota after the fact. No bonus, hello expedite.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Thank you, I am glad she is out of the "MESS" Retail is just no longer worth the effort. It used to be a real profession. Not any longer. Just shelve stocking drones now. Layoutshooter

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
the really funny thing about being thrown off the front lot is the j's reasoning behind the decision. when they did this in laredo we all, i mean the people that ran for the same co. as us, all got upset called corporate, actaully talked to the ceo and the council as the j calles it. the circle jerk forum that makes all their policies and operating decisions. the reason the reason the j did this is the front lots are only designed to handle 20,000 # and our trucks are to heavy, the back lots will handle 100,000 plus. problem was we could never get them to understand that the busses and motor homes of the same configuration weigh lots more. never the less the lot only handles 20,000 so we cant park. oh, but it's ok for the j @edinburg to rent a spot out front for the huge heavy haul wrecker that has been a fixture [ gee, a retail term / former retail mgmt. here to ] for the last year. finally decided this was a useless battle trying to teach those who had already chose retail cause they could'nt teach that last part was just for you layout. pretty funny reason, but that was the result of our experience. TNT

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Is it not amazing just how many have the same experiance with retail? Why is it that none of those who run retail chains can't figure it out? I guess it was not the "Cream" that rose to the top, eh? Layoutshooter

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
fueled in whiteland yesterday aro 1730. all 4 of the wiper buckets were bone dry, not damp, bone dry on my fuel island. i went into tell the checkout staff and the manager said, while handling another problem, we been out all day. as i walked back to the truck there was a mini wall of windshield solvent in gallon containers. now i realize this is for the general publics consumption but they couldn't crack 6-8 for the drive up gas guzzling public?

and i must add that the parking lot at 1730 in back was not very full. as i came back passed i looked at the pilot and there must have been 5 empty spots for each used one.

the j in lebanon was even emptier than the pilot in whiteland about 1900.

broker

Seasoned Expediter
Pulled into the FJ in Houston Friday night (straight truck). It was pretty full but found a few open spots.
Took showers and headed to the mall for a movie with the wife.
Came back and it was very full, still found a spot.
Next morning I got on here and read about the bad experience by one of our own with the front lot.
2 Big signs read no bobtail or trucks allowed in the front lot. This is why we didn't try it the first night.
Anyway, Looked out and there sat 5 bobtails and two Expedite straight trucks in the front lot.
Again, went shopping and came back that night to see the same bobtails and now 3 Expedite straight trucks.
So we pulled in the front lot for the night. Been here now two nights and three days with no problems from employees (lastnight 6 bobtails, 3 Expedite straight trucks and one full blown 18 wheeler, trailer and all).
Not sure what the story is on this one.
Maybe the guy that kicked you out has the weekend off.
BIG JOHN

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
Pulled into the FJ in Houston Friday night (straight truck). It was pretty full but found a few open spots.
Took showers and headed to the mall for a movie with the wife.
Came back and it was very full, still found a spot.
Next morning I got on here and read about the bad experience by one of our own with the front lot.
2 Big signs read no bobtail or trucks allowed in the front lot. This is why we didn't try it the first night.
Anyway, Looked out and there sat 5 bobtails and two Expedite straight trucks in the front lot.
Again, went shopping and came back that night to see the same bobtails and now 3 Expedite straight trucks.
So we pulled in the front lot for the night. Been here now two nights and three days with no problems from employees (lastnight 6 bobtails, 3 Expedite straight trucks and one full blown 18 wheeler, trailer and all).
Not sure what the story is on this one.
Maybe the guy that kicked you out has the weekend off.
BIG JOHN

There are a couple of Js in Houston. We were at the North location off I-45 at Richie road. The sign reads No Bobtails or Tractor Trailers. We noticed a tractor trailer in the lot the same night so it must have been an over enthusiastic shift manager.

Sorry to hear you are there for so long. If you are at the north location, there is a classic car dealership across the street that is fun to check out and there is some excellent Mexican food down the street. Both within walking distance.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
I must be a glutton for punishment. We are at the J in Phoenix tonight.
It is 1:00 am EST and the cashier keeps yelling through her speaker system:
ALL TRUCKS PARKED IN FIRE LANES MUST BE MOVED IMMEDIATELY! ALL TRUCKS IN ANY YELLOW AREA MUST BE MOVED IMMEDIATELY! ALL TRUCKS IN DISABLED PARKING MUST HAVE PLACARDS DISPLAYED OR YOU WILL BE CITED!

Okay, I agree with all of the above, but can't she just get that big security dude that is just standing there to go over and ask the trucks to move?
It is going to be a long night.

Note: There are a lot of things we like about the J so we really do hope they figure out their financial problems. Just pickin on them because they are pickable.