File extensions

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Can anyone explain the file extension 'bin' that is causing photos that I send to be unopenable? The photos are taken with my cellphone, then emailed to myself. The 'bin' extension only appears on some, and I don't know why.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
.bin identifies binary files. They usually wouldn't be openable except by the program/procedure that created them or an assembler and with the latter you'd just be able to read and edit the binary file.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hi Cheri:

Judging by your name I guess you are a girl and an aspiring truck driver. So I will keep this simple. I have tried to explain this phenomenon to my wife on several occasions. She is a very smart woman. But not as smart as my former boss's wife. Who is the smartest woman in the whole world.

Digital pictures are made up of megapixels, which are very small. The prefix mega means large. And compared to regular pixels, mega pixels are large. But they are still so small we can't see them without the aid of a microscope. The prefix micro means small. And compared to a regular scope, microscopes are very small. Scientists use magnifying glasses just to find these microscopes.

When you send a picture to a person, your computer breaks down the picture into individual megapixels. These tiny little pixels go into outerspace to the internet. I know a few things about the internet little girl. The internet is an electronic fabric, much like your mama's fishnet stockings. Sometimes the tiny little pixels go right through the holes in the internet and are lost forever. But most of the time they go directly to the computer you sent them to. Here they are reassembled into your original picture.

Some day when I have more time I will fix the holes in the internet and then nobody's pictures will get lost. But right now I have a whole world that needs saving. If I don't take care of this global warming thing, you won't have any friends to send pictures to.

Well my jet is fueled and ready for take off. The pilot says I must turn off my computer and fasten my seatbelt. Tipper says hello and not to listen to any bad music.

Your friend, Al

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter
BIN files is one of CD/DVD image formats. BIN file is a binary copy of an entire CDs/DVDs disc. BIN file contain ALL the data stored on the original disc including not only its files and folders but also its system-specifics information, for examples, bootable information, volume, volume attributes and any other system-specific data. Actually, BIN image file is not a collection of files or folders but is an exact duplicate of the raw data of the original disc, sector by sector.
Alcohol and Daemon Tools are excellent software packages that allow users to mount ISO files as virtual CD-ROMs. Yes, there is a way to use that ISO without burning it to a disk.

Although I love these tools, Microsoft has a free, 60kb program that does the same thing! Of course, it is not supported... and it's not as friendly as the software listed above; however, it works and it's free.

Here's the download link:
http://download.microsoft.com/downl...d58df02efa2/winxpvirtualcdcontrolpanel_21.exe Here's the readme:
Quote:
Readme for Virtual CD-ROM Control Panel v2.0.1.1

THIS TOOL IS UNSUPPORTED BY MICROSOFT PRODUCT SUPPORT SERVICES

System Requirements
===================
- Windows XP Home or Windows XP Professional

Installation instructions
=========================
1. Copy VCdRom.sys to your %systemroot%\system32\drivers folder.
2. Execute VCdControlTool.exe
3. Click "Driver control"
4. If the "Install Driver" button is available, click it. Navigate to the %systemroot%\system32\drivers folder, select VCdRom.sys, and click Open.
5. Click "Start"
6. Click OK
7. Click "Add Drive" to add a drive to the drive list. Ensure that the drive added is not a local drive. If it is, continue to click "Add Drive" until an unused drive letter is available.
8. Select an unused drive letter from the drive list and click "Mount".
9. Navigate to the image file, select it, and click "OK". UNC naming conventions should not be used, however mapped network drives should be OK.

You may now use the drive letter as if it were a local CD-ROM device. When you are finished you may unmount, stop, and remove the driver from memory using the driver control.

You can also use one of the mentioned programs above to view your .bin files.

-charlotte

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
(Drum roll please)

And now, the 39.95 question: Cheri, do you know any more now than when you posted the question?

Mr. Gore, thanks for taking the time. We know your time is valuable, with all the preaching you have to do telling others to live more frugally than you do.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
After all this I don't think I like .bin files. Cheri I don't think you should send me anything this complex anymore!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Speaking of Gore, every time I go through Tennessee I see these signs "Al Gore Sr. freeway" on the freeway.

I am looking all over for the sign that says "Al Gore Jr. information super highway" but I haven't seen one of them anyway.

This is why we should not let politicians breed.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The chances of picture files actually being a CD Image bin file is very remote, unless Cheri took the time to use something like CDRWin to create a bin image. I'm gonna go with unlikely.

Most likely is, whatever application Cheri is using for her pictures will save the pictures natively in the bin format, and then that app's exe file will read the bin and display the pictures. If you so a Save-As and save the pics as JPG or something like that, then everyone would be able to view them easier. Might be helpful to know how Cheri views her files.

Incidentally, an ISO is just a collection of files and folders, collected and formatted in the ISO format. There are several apps that will create bin/cue files for CD images, but the vast majority do not, in fact, create a bit-for-bit or sector-by-sector copy of the original. Nero is one glaring example of a pseudo-image creator when it comes to CD's.

As for mounting a virtual CD/DVD, many disc creation software apps now come with image mounters, I still prefer Daemon Tools. It's the best, and it's still free.
http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/download.php

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
>The chances of picture files actually being a CD Image bin
>file is very remote, unless Cheri took the time to use
>something like CDRWin to create a bin image. I'm gonna go
>with unlikely.
Unless it was unintentional, "not bloody likely!" is a safe bet, lol.
>
>Most likely is, whatever application Cheri is using for her
>pictures will save the pictures natively in the bin format,
>and then that app's exe file will read the bin and display
>the pictures. If you so a Save-As and save the pics as JPG
>or something like that, then everyone would be able to view
>them easier. Might be helpful to know how Cheri views her
>files.
Turtle, that last sentence is an opening I could get a t/t through, but I think I know what you mean - I email them to myself c/o Yahoo, and use the default programs on WindowsXP. I will try to save them as a jpg file, and see if that helps. Thanks for replying in words I can mostly understand.
>
>
>Incidentally, an ISO is just a collection of files and
>folders, collected and formatted in the ISO format. There
>are several apps that will create bin/cue files for CD
>images, but the vast majority do not, in fact, create a
>bit-for-bit or sector-by-sector copy of the original. Nero
>is one glaring example of a pseudo-image creator when it
>comes to CD's.
>
>As for mounting a virtual CD/DVD, many disc creation
>software apps now come with image mounters, I still prefer
>Daemon Tools. It's the best, and it's still free.
>http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/download.php
That sounds to me like something Customs would demand an explanation for...

:+

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter
"The chances of picture files actually being a CD Image bin file is very remote"

Not remote with the new phones that have movie capabilities on them...if it is in bin format, that is what it is in....now if she can choose a format to save in, that is a different story...Cheri what type of phone do you have? The brand name and model number please.

-charlotte

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I too have a Motorola Razr but prefer my old Norelco with the triple floating head system.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
What camera phone saves movies (or pictures) in a bin/cue format?

Mon Cheri, how are you sending the files to other people? Directly from the phone, or via e-mail? If by e-mail, when you attach a file, what it is the file's extension? When you view them in Windows, what is the file extension? (You may have to right click on one of the files in Windows Explorer and select Properties).

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Turtle, I send the photos from my cellphone to my email, and from there I attach them to emails - I can't remember what the extension is, I'll have to do one & check. The reason I'm puzzled is that the bin extension occurs sometimes, but not always, and I don't do anything differently from one time to the next.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I checked, and most cellphone photos have the jpg extension, but a few have bin - this is what I don't understand. How do they format differently, if I treat them all the same?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I dunno. I have an idea. Send me a bin, and send me a jpg. Lemme see.

Jayman

Expert Expediter
I have had some luck in changing the file extension. For pictures, try .jpg or .gif. You change them just like you would change the name of the file in Windows Explorer after you put it on your computer.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, changing the name to jpg fixes it.

Turns out, the ones she sends that magically get changed to the .bin file extension have EXIF data included in the file, and the ones that get sent as .jpg files don't. Weird.