jansiemoo

Seasoned Expediter
by Amy Stallings
WHAS11.com
Posted on July 27, 2011 at 6:15 AM
Updated today at 9:45 AM
Gallery
SEE ALL 3 PHOTOS »
CRAWFORD COUNTY, Ind. (WHAS) -- One person is dead and another was air-lifted to University Hospital after an accident in Crawford County on Interstate 64 west early Wednesday morning.
Police said a FedEx semi truck with two people aboard crashed into the Wyandotte Cave overpass just after 1 a.m.
Fifty-one-year-old James E. Loper of Bowling Green was pronounced dead on the scene.
Police said the other, Eddie H. Goodine, 36, of Cleveland, Tenn., was responsive when he was transported by helicopter to the hospital. Goodine is in stable condition according to a FedEx representative.
Police also said they are not sure which man was driving the semi, nor do they know what caused the crash.
"No signs of any braking or anything prior to the crash, so, they hit the bridge almost at full speed which the speed limit out here is 65 for big trucks. That impact with a solid object creates a lot of damage," Indiana State Trooper Chad Dick said.
Dick said investigators will talk to Goodine as soon as possible to try to determine the cause of the crash.
I-64 westbound was shut down for several hours at the Corydon exit but one lane has since reopened.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
by Amy Stallings
WHAS11.com
Posted on July 27, 2011 at 6:15 AM
Updated today at 9:45 AM
Gallery
SEE ALL 3 PHOTOS »
CRAWFORD COUNTY, Ind. (WHAS) -- One person is dead and another was air-lifted to University Hospital after an accident in Crawford County on Interstate 64 west early Wednesday morning.
Police said a FedEx semi truck with two people aboard crashed into the Wyandotte Cave overpass just after 1 a.m.
Fifty-one-year-old James E. Loper of Bowling Green was pronounced dead on the scene.
Police said the other, Eddie H. Goodine, 36, of Cleveland, Tenn., was responsive when he was transported by helicopter to the hospital. Goodine is in stable condition according to a FedEx representative.
Police also said they are not sure which man was driving the semi, nor do they know what caused the crash.
"No signs of any braking or anything prior to the crash, so, they hit the bridge almost at full speed which the speed limit out here is 65 for big trucks. That impact with a solid object creates a lot of damage," Indiana State Trooper Chad Dick said.
Dick said investigators will talk to Goodine as soon as possible to try to determine the cause of the crash.
I-64 westbound was shut down for several hours at the Corydon exit but one lane has since reopened.

Prolly be I 74

jansiemoo

Seasoned Expediter
Wonder if it was a health issue

Or fell asleep.

This is my greatest fear on the road, my heart goes out to the families of these men. I know there's a group to help with getting truckers home and the St. Christoper fund will likely be a good place for donations for the injured fellow. Will someone post the links for these groups? Thanks.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
110727CorydonFatal02.JPG

110727CorydonFatal01.JPG

110727CorydonFatal03.JPG

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
Or fell asleep.

This is my greatest fear on the road, my heart goes out to the families of these men. I know there's a group to help with getting truckers home and the St. Christoper fund will likely be a good place for donations for the injured fellow. Will someone post the links for these groups? Thanks.

Heres the link for transportation TransAlive USA, Inc

Col, Corydon is off of I-64, not 74.

ts675

Seasoned Expediter
Oh man, thoughts and prayers aee with these folks and their families. Just reminds us how precious and fragile life really is.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Our prayers go out to the family and also to the co-driver and his family. Every time I see these pictures my stomach does a flip flop and reminds me that we are in a very dangerous job.

We are advocates for having a Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS) in trucks. I have been teased over this, I have listened to remarks that were not very polite and I myself have mentioned that the LDWS drives me nuts. The problem is when the system is driving me nuts it is telling me I am not staying in my lane.

The system is set up to warn us if we are meandering in our lane or we cross out of our lane. The system emits a alarm when 1/2 of our tire crosses a lane line which is annoying but.... since we have had the system we very seldom hear the rumble strips. The system is also awesome in road construction as we can keep our eyes on the lane in front of us and use the audible alarm as an aid that we are staying in our own lane.
If we have to run back and forth through construction we can push a button and shut the system off for a short time.

We have used the Iteris system Iteris, Inc. in our old truck and are trying out the Takata system in our new truck. Takata-SafeTraK

I believe FedEx Custom Critical had a discount negotiated with the Takata system and is worth looking into.

Janet I agree with you our driving times are very erratic and many of us are getting older. This system is one insurance that we have on our truck as an aid to help us to stay safe. Before we realize that we are getting tired the system will start going off and we realize we need to pull over and take a short nap, or get out and stretch our legs.

truckn-lace

Seasoned Expediter
Our thought' s and prayers are with the familes. Everytime I start to drive I pray before our trip ya never know what leads us around the next bend. We see so much out here and yet I know I so enjoy my job. To all of our expediter friends please be safe and always give those special hugs, Treasure today!!