Fedex BR unit

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
PalletJack, check with SBA and look at direct dedicated contracts...there are many successful O/Os that have gone this route as we are too transitioning to. With SBA you can get advice and many more opportunities than just expedite and worrying about bidding on your next load. Yes you have more responsibilities but as any careful business plan, you can improve your chances of success. It isn't an all or nothing thing. The new FEDCC lacks the integrity of the old. This degredation just didn't happen over night, it was earned. Keep your options open....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Be I be younger and had more humph..I'd prolly try the independent route, But....I'll just bite the bullet and stay with the glass towers...hence no whinning here...Express-1 suits me and my way of working just fine although like ANY carrier can frustrate the heck outta ya...shake your head, snicker abit and git-r-done...:D

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Many that fail hanging their own shingle, would not be a complete success under the umbrella of someone else because of their anticipation or need for instant gratification. [/QUOTE]

I think it depends on what your version of "complete success" is?
"There are many definitions of the word is" ..Where have I heard that before:D

We have done both over the years and the "hanging your own shingle" requires more than some are willing to do. Myself included. Not because of a "I don't wanna" but other business commitments that have nothing to do with expediting.
I think it is more of a personal thing until there is a sound of whining.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Before you upgrade you van to a BR you need to find out the specs and they are very specific. It is no different than buying a truck before you find out what the company you are going to lease on to require.
Not a good idea and can be a huge waste of money.

Most people would do that anyway. I know I would have it done to Fedex specs. Why spend money on thing that may not be needed.

Last edited:

moose

Veteran Expediter
Many that fail hanging their own shingle, would not be a complete success under the umbrella of someone else because of their anticipation or need for instant gratification.

other business commitments that have nothing to do with expediting.
.[/QUOTE]

Can you Please Explain ,or give some examples ?

Moose.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Sure
There are several on EO that have others businesses they are involved in. Based on their posts, one runs some trucks for Fedex Ground, another was involved in relocation services, another owns a truck dealership and so on.
As for me, I am a private cunsultant to another industry in which I retired from. We dabble in a few other things, but they are not of a professional nature. Some are trucking related and some aren't.

Last edited:

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Dave, obviously you don't wanna, because you have "other" burning issues. Point is, ya don't wanna for what ever reason. An that is fine with me. However, there are many (as in a bunch) as I have found, that wanna, but jes don't wanna really know how to succeed because they too have "other" issues. Because, "other" issues" intervene. It's still just fun to sit back and watch the foolishness of the people and dynamics of this business.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Folks, this thread is about the Fedex BR unit and it's future or lack thereof. Let's stick to topic and if anyone wants to discuss other companies, own authority or any other topic take it to it's own thread.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Leo, if it's about participation, ratings, MONEY for the folks involved let er ride. Believe you'all d be better off letting people "learn" about everything. That way they'd be somewhat well rounded, rather than be tunnel visioned.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Re: Fedex BR unit....i like it

I continually learn so much here on EOLand.
The insights all of you have given in this thread are simply, awesome.
As the author of this thread I approve 100% the curves and turns it is taking.
So please, continue to do so, as, it is a very helpful thread.

Thank you all.
dave terry

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Leo, if it's about participation, ratings, MONEY for the folks involved let er ride. Believe you'all d be better off letting people "learn" about everything. That way they'd be somewhat well rounded, rather than be tunnel visioned.

OOooooOH:eek:

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I continually learn so much here on EOLand.
The insights all of you have given in this thread are simply, awesome.
As the author of this thread I approve 100% the curves and turns it is taking.
So please, continue to do so, as, it is a very helpful thread.

Thank you all.
dave terry

Excellent! You get it!

Leo, can you tell us what the problem is with this thread going off on a tangent, like normal, real world conversations do? As long as it's not fighting and childish behavior, what's the problem? For the life of me, I can't see what difference it makes.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator

Well I for one would sure rather see getting your own authority and the pitfalls in its own thread. Who would look in a BR thread to learn about that?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Well I for one would sure rather see getting your own authority and the pitfalls in its own thread. Who would look in a BR thread to learn about that?

Just a suggestion....when a Moderator sees a thread that is off topic BUT there seems to be a really good participation in the topic MAYBE they could take the lead and start a new thread for people...??

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
True, you wouldn't look in this thread for that info. But, that doesn't mean there's harm in it being here. We've seen threads go off on tangents and that tangent used to start another thread. I just think Leo's seeking a level of order that's more than is needed. These are, after all, conversations. It's what conversations do.

Now, if this swerved into, say, the way a stripper swings and slides on the golden stripper pole, he'd be right to jump in and say, "take that to the Layover Lounge".

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I see no harm a thread meandering all over the place. But OVM you could have started a new thread with getting your own authorization instead of sticking it in this one. I personally do not want the hassle nor the searching and knocking on doors that comes with have your own authorization so I do not mind reading about it but do not want to do it. Leave the "big" bucks to others I guess. I know my limits and we would not do well in that arena.

So like other areas of our lives you can blame the moderators or others for not taking your own initiative.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Linda..your absolutely correct I could have, if I had of thought about it...BUT since Leo noticed and said something...It IS somewhat a moderators responsibility to get back on the right path....thats why we have mods....to offer guidance and keep things in order....If you want the membership to organize and self-police...why even have mods?
From past experience we can see how some members get a bit offish when told or suggested to stay on topic..

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
You are right it is the mods fault for not thinking of starting a new topic on getting your own authority.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You are right it is the mods fault for not thinking of starting a new topic on getting your own authorization.

that was too easy....;) Your just pattin me on the head now...:D

any how...I hop this experiment in the BR unit is successful..it would really help the vanners...

Don't know if you noticed in Ontario there is a carrier that specializes in BR units..they use the areocell bodies...think the name is I.C.E. they seem busy.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

Just a suggestion....when a Moderator sees a thread that is off topic BUT there seems to be a really good participation in the topic MAYBE they could take the lead and start a new thread for people...??

Mods aren`t paid enuf.