Fantastic Fan

DAN

Seasoned Expediter
I am wondering if anyone can tell me where can I buy a fantastic fan and if is good for cooling off a Sprinter sleeper?
Any idea what power do you need for hook up,aux.batt.,inverter?
Thanks for any info.I can get.:+

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
This is the site for the fans http://www.fantasticvent.com/
TerryandRene' bought their fan from http://members.aol.com/fantasticvent/ for their van. They are very happy with where they bought the fan and also with the dealer they bought the fan from. We also have a fan and we really enjoy ours.
The system is 12 volt and it is a good idea two use a fuse in the line. The directions are very easy to follow and install your fan. Terry cut the hole with a jigsaw using a metal blade. The fan will come with a template for cutting the roof. The system comes with a gasket and you will also need to caulk this. You then follow the directions to wire to your battery. If you are not comfortable with this any RV place can install the system.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Google Adohen Supply. Sorry I don't have their e-mail address with me. Very nice people, I ordered in the morning and it shipped that afternoon. They will answer any questions you have by phone or e-mail.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
I have a fantastic fan and though I think it is a neat idea it rarely gets used.

unless you park at rest stops or parks when you turn on your fanatstic fan you start sucking diesel exhaust at a high rate into your truck. Another issue with it is that it rattles like crazy when you are moving.
I recently added some extra foam insulation strips around the outside to eliminate the rattle but I haven't been on a run since I have done the work.

Camper World sells and installs a competing version, I'm sure it is as good.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I don't think you'd want to have the vent open and the fan running while you are moving.

Epsar of Michigan (in Romulus) also sells them. They will install them, too.

Get the one with the rain sensor. Worth every penny.

It has three speeds, and will draw roughly 1,2 or 4 amps depending on fan speed. Even a 1 amp draw overnight will kill a starter battery in a van, so you're much better off using an aux battery with an isolator.

It's a DC fan so it hooks directly to the battery, and as has already been suggested, never hook a DC appliance directly to a battery without an inline fuse. Ever.

If you are going to use an inverter, hook the inverter directly to the battery with a fuse placed inline at the battery, and the Fantastic Fan can be connected at the same terminals as the inverter. If you plan on using an inverter, calculate how many DC amps the appliances will draw from the battery, and for how many hours a day, add those to the amps the Fantastic Fan will draw, and size your batteries accordingly.

The Fantastic Fan won't cool the van like an air conditioner would, but it will move a lot of air in short order, removing any heat buildup in the van. The better insulated the van, the less heat will build up. If you idle, the fan will, absolutely, suck diesel exhaust in the back doors, through the air vents, pretty much everywhere, so be aware of that. But mainly, turn it on, crack a window on the shade side of the van, and it will not only cool things down quote a bit, the biggest benefit is the influx of fresh air it provides.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
There is nothing nicer though then that fan when you are parked at a customer and all is calm. We also do not use ours all of the time but when we do have a chance we really enjoy it. We also have the rain sensor and that is a really nice item to have.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
As Linder mentioned, I have Fan-tastic vent fans on my current van and have had them on the last four vans. A great product for vent hot air in an idle van or for moving air around if you have a source of fresh air.

I've bought three Fan-tastic vent from the good folks at the following place. Fast service and support are their trademarks,
http://members.aol.com/adohen1/page/Adohensupply.htm

I have One of the top-of-the-line fans and two vents on my Chevy. The fan unit moves the air, in or out, and the vent provides eeither exhaust or inlet required for air movement. Each vent is screened to keep the bugs out, or in as the case may be.

You could install a vent cover over the vents if you wanted to use them while vehicle is in motion, but otherwise the lids will flutter at vehicle speeds greater than 25+/- MPH. I have cracked a vent about an inch or so while moving and I find that helpful to clear the air.

These fans come with a great warranty. I called the factory in Michigan after I broke a lid. On another occasion I needed a new motor assembly. On each occasion, I had an express mail delivery of the parts I needed at no charge to me.

We now return to our regular programming.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
This is why we do what we do!! A great post ask a question get a few replies that answer the question and a nice thank you from the original poster. Nice Job!

dieseldoctor1

Expert Expediter
I prefer my MaxxAir http://www.maxxair.com/Products/Turbo-Maxx.aspx because it does everything the Fantastic Fan does but doesn't shut down everytime it sprinkles a little rain. I like to bring in the rain cooled air instead of being shut in while it rains. It can be used even in a thunderstorm and if you want to use it while cruising down the road there is no problem. Price is about the same and so is installation. They even have a new one that you can collapse down to clear a low tree etc. Just a thought.
Dieseldoctor

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
The Fantastic rain sensor has an on off switch and the unit is also thermostatically controlled, if you desire. I have no comment on the Maxxair as I've never seen one; I'd like to.

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
O/O in a D unit. Had mine installed in top of Unibilt-Pete sleeper by Double Eagle in Shipshewana, IN. Total cost around $500. Got the Maxi-shroud and rain sensor, and it works great. Lose some air flow with the shroud, but not enough to worry about. I can sit in the driver's seat with the windows cracked and fan on 2 and feel it cool me down. Van should be fine as well, but I would think you need a flow-through area (if you have a complete bulkhead). Since I am up higher than you guys, I don't have a big problem. Still like to park away somewhere from all the smells, if possible. If too hot, motor runs (like daytime sleeping).
Otherwise, I use it a lot and most nights more than adequate cooling.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a MaxAir vent cover over my Fantastic Fan. I was cautioned about running the fan on high with the cover because of air flow restriction. I have had no problems running the Fantastic Fan on low or medium, even in the rain.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
I love mine. If I had an option to buy a dream truck and it could not have one I would have to pass. I could not be happier, so glad I put it in.

jeffman164

Seasoned Expediter
Does the Fantastic fan work a lot better than a box fan on high ? I drive a straight truck with 2 golf cart auxilery batteries .

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The nice thing about a Fantastic Fan is that it can be used to exhaust the inside air and draw fresh air in through the windows.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I just found the Maxxair Fan/vent rain covers in a JC Whitney catalog.

Catalog # MH482042 @ $49.99; Deluxe cover # MH482401 @ $66.99.

Cheaper than EBay

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I purchased this MaxxAir vent cover about 3 years ago from a R.V. dealership. I paid $25. This cover sits about 1 inch lower than my Q.C. unit keeping me under 8 feet.