FACING THE STORM

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
With the approach of a strong winter storm that covers more of the country than just the snow belt areas,what are your stategies?

Do you go out of service and wait out the worst of the storm,judging that the risks of driving outweigh the gains?

Or are you convinced that the load opportunities during this time justify the additional perils faced.

Or is it business as usual.

Just wondering what you as a professional driving group think.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I go with business as usual and let the severity of the storm dictate what happens if I get a load. How often do we hear how terrible things are going to be, only to have it end up just a little bit of snow.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I run from the storm and if I can't run fast enough I hunker down in a warm motel with a lounge and restaurant. When your truck is laying on it's side in the median and you are waiting for a tow truck which will probably take hours,that revenue you received to put you in this mess will not be worth it.Also the stress on your own body will be intense.

JustUsTrucking

Expert Expediter
We are with Rich on this one. We are in Woodsock, ON. No matter which way we go we will get in this one. We are O/S and who knows maybe saving a bunch of money.:)

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
That is exactly what i'd do. Then, in a few days i'd be typin in here that: it's soooo slow, ain't mak'in any money, the worlds against me, or...... something bad. Yep that's the way to do it.
Exactly.

JustUsTrucking

Expert Expediter
x06col, You have never seen a post from saying it is slow and not making any money. And this is exactly what I will do. Thanks for your comments.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Sorry if you misread my post. Believe I typed "thats exactly what I'D do".

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Anyone else seeing power outages? We've had them off and on today since about 5:30 am. (Columbus, OH area). As of right now, we're out again, along with about 13,000 others.

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

"Good will, like a good name, is achieved by many actions and lost by one."

Zig Ziglar

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
No Dreamer, it's sunny and 75 here in Corpus Christi. All power is fine. Have a cold fron arriving tonite I guess. Going down to 50 or so. I'll have to get my flannel shirt out. Hope your power comes back on soon.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The 70's work for me as well. As for winter driving, use good common sense, and know your limitations.
No load is worth a wreck.
Remember YOU are driving the truck, not the customer or a dispatcher.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Col... better update gps. It was showing your truck in NC a few hours ago. I think you went a little overspeed ;)

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Nashville: all day rain, but no power outages, and none of that four letter word SNOW, either. Hope you're stayin warm & safe, Dreamer :(

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
What about you fleet drivers ? Do your owners confer with you on these situations ? It's their equipment at risk but you are the one able to assess the situation from what you see and hear .

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I picked up a load this morning, 10AM, at Talladega (Harley Davidson Test Facility at the track there) for delivery to Milwaukee 7AM tomorrow. 800 miles. I just pulled off in Hopkinsville to get fuel. Gonna run over and go up I-57 instead of trying to deal with Louisville, Indy and then Gary and Chicago. 50 miles further, but I gotta figure it's a lot quicker. I'm 3 hours or so away from the snow, so I'll see what it looks like when I get there. The roads might be fine, might have to take it slow and easy, or I might have to pull over and wait.

Safety, being the sharp tacks that they are, just informed me that I have to take a 5 hour break during this run. The remainder of my thoughts have been drastically censored by the Common Sense Department over at Standards and Practices.

It's 550 miles to Milwaukee, a blizzard, 50 MPH wind gusts, driving a really tall Sprinter loaded with a 150 pound load, got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and I'm wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!

Bring me four fried chickens and a Coke.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
You have the fun stuff to drive thru! Be careful. And don't forget your dry white toast!

Col, 50, wow! Better double up on the flannel!.. LOL.

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

Zig Ziglar

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Turtle... you would've cleared Chicago when it's late. Still... the farther west, the less chance of snow. I've taken that way during rush hour... it is faster.

White toast.

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Hey Hawk: The truck is on it's way to Memphis from NC. I'm wintering over in Corpus. No speed'in here anymore. Good to hear south of that mess is OK tho. Got your juice back yet Dreamer?

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Ah, the greatest minds watch the classics T-hawk.... posted while I was editing mine..LOL

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

Zig Ziglar