ExpeditersOnline.com I have an idea

broker

Seasoned Expediter
My wife no longer will pull up this site. She says it doesn't matter what topic she thinks will be positive, it always turns into a doom and gloom or people bashing each other.

May I suggest a new forum, called "Good Times".
On this forum topics can only be on subjects with positive thoughts and ideas about this business and the people who serve it.
Any member who goes the other direction gets his/her post poofed.

If this is something you feel is worth trying, I will volunteer to watch over it.

BIG JOHN

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I'm not for all the doom and gloom either,but this is a forum,if all was perfect,you wouldn't learn anything.If every carrier was perfect,and all were getting rich,what exactly would you learn from this forum?The biggest problem,people are griping on the forum instead of doing it where it needs to be done,and that's with the carrier.When I have a problem with FDCC,I don't come on EO and complain,I go to the source of the problem,and follow the chain of command up to someone that will either resolve the problem or tell why it won't be.This works much better than crying on EO,and scaring a newbie away

wellarmed

Not a Member
General Expediter Forum is to cover all topics subjects and issues of concern to all people in the expedite industry. " You just can't be specific "

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is more "doom & gloom" here lately. Times are tough, particularly in this business, and it's just going to come through here. People do share good ideas and stories here, it's just mixed in with the rest of the stuff. You guys joined at a tough time, so please don't judge EO based on what you see right now.

As far as bashing and that sort of thing, people will disagree when ideas are exchanged. All too often, there will be those that take any disagreement as a personal attack. Then there will be accusations of "bashing" and it just degenerates from there. When it's civil, there's nothing wrong with disagreement. A lot can be learned from it.

Nightcreature is absolutely right. The vast majority of the time, issues can and should be resolved with the management of the carrier. When you see something like "they dispatched around me", that's the kind of whining that doesn't need to be here. Some people sound like jilted high school cheerleaders with all that "waaa... waaa"! I also think the carrier forums were a great idea. Problems with a particular carrier can be discussed by those with that carrier.

So, hang in there. You guys have posted some good stuff.

Oh, and there was a "soft, cuddly bunnies" forum, or something like that, at one time. Seriously! There was.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Just wondering: would the suggestion to get a huge sleeper and practice polygamy qualify for a "Good Times" forum? :cool:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
When you read a poster that is negative all the time it is easiest for me to just skip the post when possible. Ignore the doom and gloom and bashing as there is still a lot of good information on here. Please tell her to part of the change for the positive and keep posting. If the positive people quit posting you know what will be left.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Another forum, more or less, would mean little to me as a reader. I only veiw a few of the ones that are available now. The more forums there are, the fewer of them I read.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Big John,
I like it.. LOL... while we don't need another forum, I'll be glad to start a thread!

Dale

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
If no one replies, is it technically a thread?

Definition of a thread:

A thread is defined by a title, an additional description that may summarise the intended discussion, and an opening or original post (common abbreviation 'OP', which can also mean original poster) which opens whatever dialogue or makes whatever announcement the poster wished. A thread can contain any number of posts, including multiple posts from the same members, even if they are one after the other.

Yes, I would say that it would meet the criteria. I also get the underlying meaning of your comment. It is negative and therefore you will not be allowed to participate. So there.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
if there are punctuation errors and grammar context problems will there be unlimited piling on like in other threads. gets tiring.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
My wife no longer will pull up this site. She says it doesn't matter what topic she thinks will be positive, it always turns into a doom and gloom or people bashing each other.

Have to disagree with you here. I don't see this forum as doom and gloom, there are a lot of good fun post here. As for 'bashing' I don't think members are bashing each other so much as teasing each other. I think your taking it literal were it isn't meant to be. Take IRT for instance everyone loves to pick on him but it is all in fun! We don't mean it! Right IRT? You know we really love ya! :eek:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Definition of a thread:

A thread is defined by a title, an additional description that may summarise the intended discussion, and an opening or original post (common abbreviation 'OP', which can also mean original poster) which opens whatever dialogue or makes whatever announcement the poster wished. A thread can contain any number of posts, including multiple posts from the same members, even if they are one after the other.
Not to put too fine a point on it, but the term as it applies to computers and Internet forums, originates from Usenet, and
is defined as:

n. [Usenet, GEnie, CompuServe] Common abbreviation of `topic thread', a more or less continuous chain of postings on a single topic. To `follow a thread' is to read a series of Usenet postings sharing a common subject or (more correctly) which are connected by Reference headers. The better newsreaders can present news in thread order automatically, such as on Web forum interfaces.

This is far from a neologism that deals solely with computers. The OED says: "That which connects the successive points in anything, esp. a narrative, train of thought, or the like; the sequence of events or ideas continuing throughout the whole course of anything;" Citations are given going back to 1642.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
When you read a poster that is negative all the time it is easiest for me to just skip the post when possible. Ignore the doom and gloom and bashing as there is still a lot of good information on here. Please tell her to part of the change for the positive and keep posting. If the positive people quit posting you know what will be left.

Yeah ChefDennis!!!:D:p

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Knit one, purr two.

knitting-cat-thumb.jpg