Expediters Hall of Fame

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When the final product is put together, a tounge-in-cheek way to start it would be a salute to the caveman that first came up with the wheel.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
on the truck stop guide each time after a run was done would ask where is a place to layover to be with in 25 miles of express center and no one really knew where was a place to go, after getting done with a run all you wanted was someplace to park and get ready for next run , get fuel, shower and go to bed etc,
so after looking at all the express center and finding out there was no quide but the truck stop book and know way to know right off the bat how far each truck stop was with out asking and learning as you go that one is to far out etc
so i asked one of guy's in ops if it would be ok to match up all the truck stops to express center's and he said be a good idea go ahead and do and send us a copy, so i set down with 2 computer's one to make book and one to run mileage from each truck stop to express center it took 8 days to this and this is working 8 hour's a day to do this, at time my wife was in hospital and had to be home to take care of her and while she was resting i worked on this and when i got it done sent in disk they couldn't believe how much detail there was and out of all express center there was only 5 that didn't have a truck stop with in 25 miles, and i showed it to a couple of people and they said how do i get a copy said if you have computer give a disk and make you a copy or if you don't call your dispather and they will send you a copy, now if you need one it's here on eo
petty much used by everyone in industy,
as a navy chief saw a problem and fix it

the first refer at roberts express was dave tuttle out of md, his wife had a flower shop and when he went done south with a run he would bring flowers back for his wife and roberts found out about it and said what kind of load can you do and it started from there
don't remeber all info, he left a few year's ago and was with land star and don't know if he is still in it

G

Now that a name I haven't heard in a few years. "Dave Tuttle"
Remember how they had Cat Teams. Each Cat team had about 12 people in them and covered and area. I was in cat 23, they covered all the Express center's in North East Ohio and some of Pa. The Cat Teams dealt only with customer's and Driver's from that area all the time.
I thought It was great, you knew the people you was dealing with and they knew you. I wish we still had Cat team's. Back then we wasn't just a truck number, we was someone they got to know.

Drive safe

Dave Mayfield
FEDExCC/Roberts express O/O Since 3/3/1995
C1847,C2045,D3397,

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>With that said, I also have to say that this is a niche
>market in the supply chain or the world of freight. It is
>not something that is completely unique or stands alone in
>the industry ...

...so if you write an in depth history, you
>have to include things like the expedited freight service
>that the rail roads provided in the 19th century, the stage
>coach system, the original expediters – the US mail system
>and western union – each dealt with time sensitive freight
>on an short notice. This gives the real beginnings of what
>we do. Oh yea don’t forget the courier services that also
>do almost the same thing we do with small freight. You may
>not agree but it comes across you want to have this all
>encompassing history.

I've been thinking on this, Greg334. While we can provide summary statements about the periods and expediting activity you mentioned, most people agree that expediting as we know it today began with Roberts Express.

Defining exactly what current-day expediting is, at least the kind of expediting our effort will address, comes easier when we think also about what expedting is not. It is not local cargo van delivery where van drivers are home every night. It is not overnight delivery of letters and packages that are lumped together with others and sent through a distribution system.

It seems that two things expediters have in common are a) they provide exclusive (truck) use service, and b) they do not go home after each load.

So, does that then include hot-shots? What about RV haulers? They share the above characteristics but if you asked most of them if they were an expediter, most would say they are not.

We're in for some fun, I think, figuring out exactly what expediting is. A working definition will be required to help focus our research.

G

Well, lets not get off the path on Geo's Ideal again about an Expediter's hall of fame on Expediters Online. Maybe they can Have someone from each company Vote for different people so that it would be fair. Meaning someone that has worked in each companies home office. Just a Thought

Drive safe

Dave Mayfield
FEDExCC/Roberts express O/O Since 3/3/1995
C1847,C2045,D3397,

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
also we should have a bio on each driver , what did they do before getting into exiditing, we have some drivers out there that have some amazing stories , one of them i remember was in iron curtain country and got out of town with the cloths on his back, and one other one was no 3 person in cuba rev and fell out of grace with the powers to be and got out of town a few min's before they came for him
would be nice to know what bought them into this world
i like a good storie or tale

Mudflap

Expert Expediter
I am glad to see and hear this history thing is going to be done as a venture through EO and not through or at another site, I think it is a great idea that should be shared exclusively right here at EO. Soon as I get around to it and can look back, I'll talk about some of the members here and some of the posts that I remember to be the most helpful to me when I got started. I don't think I can contribute much more than that for history as I only got started 5 years ago, but even back then just about everything was automotive related in the business, now at least for me very little of it is, this business has changed a lot in a short time and I think it will keep changing more. If I can find a picture of my old truck, an early FL70 expediter I'll submit it, it was a 1994 FL70 built at Alumabunk before they made their own sleepers and boxes and bought them from other suppliers it had a Babb box and a sleeper made in Iowa somewhere, I ran the wheels off that old thing and you still see some of them around. Denny

G

Sure you can Denny you have years worth of history.

Drive safe

Dave Mayfield
FEDExCC/Roberts express O/O Since 3/1/1995
C1847,C2045,D3397,

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Expediting with trucks has been around since the first motor truck, built in 1896 by the German automotive pioneer Gottlieb Daimler, was put to commercial use transporting goods. Someone certainly hired the owner of Herr Daimler's new invention to take his property over the strasse to a customer elsewhere, within an agreed upon timeframe. Thus, one could argue, expediting was born.

A while back, I asked our members for their ideas on the definition of expediting. The concensus has been the same that I use in discussing expediting at EO workshops, and the same as the definitions used by FedEx Custom Critical: Door to Door; Exclusive Use; and, Time Specific. Additionally, true expediting is on a schedule determined by the customer, not the carrier. Unless there are any objections from the floor, I make a motion that these four phrases be used in defining expediting for the purpose of this endeavor.

www.expeditecarrier.com lists nearly 200 carriers that consider themselves expediters. There are perhaps thousands of other former and current holders of authority that call themselves expedtiters. Who are we to argue whether or not any or all must fit the above subjective definitions of expediter? Many large carriers such as CRST have expedited divisions. Are they expediters?

Geography, I believe, plays a role in developing a history of expediting as we know it today. In the generally recognized beginning of our role in trucking, Roberts Cartage, then Roberts Express was a local operation in Ohio and slowly spread to regional and eventually a national operation. So, I would further suggest that if Roberts Cartage is to be considered the genesis of expediting, then expedite carriers, for the purpose of this discussion, must have evolved to be the nationwide carriers to which so many of our members are leased.

Deserving of honorable mention are those regional and local carriers who fit the definition but don't have a nationwide network of customers.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>A while back, I asked our members for their ideas on the
>definition of expediting. The concensus has been the same
>that I use in discussing expediting at EO workshops, and the
>same as the definitions used by FedEx Custom Critical:
>Door to Door; Exclusive Use; and, Time Specific.

>Additionally, true expediting is on a schedule determined
>by the customer, not the carrier.

<snip>

>Geography, I believe, plays a role in developing a history
>of expediting as we know it today. In the generally
>recognized beginning of our role in trucking, Roberts
>Cartage, then Roberts Express was a local operation in Ohio
>and slowly spread to regional and eventually a national
>operation. So, I would further suggest that if Roberts
>Cartage is to be considered the genesis of expediting, then
>expedite carriers, for the purpose of this discussion, must
>have evolved to be the nationwide carriers to which so many
>of our members are leased.
>
>Deserving of honorable mention are those regional and local
>carriers who fit the definition but don't have a nationwide
>network of customers.

I agree with you, Terry, except for the regional and local part. A number of one-truck expediters who have their own authority run expedited freight. While they may not have national reach, they are part of the expediting landscape. They differ from local drivers on dedicated routes in that they stay out on the road waiting for freight. To include them and exclude hundreds of others that have learned "Expedite" is a phrase that pays, how about this?

Door to door
Exclusive use
Time specific
Schedule set by customer, not carrier
Drivers wait for freight out on the road

One additional criteria may be, "drivers are self-employed", but I do not know if that is the case for all expediters.

G

So Do you think EO will Think about a Expediters hall of Fame?

Drive safe

Dave Mayfield
C1847,C2045,D3397,

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I'm certain EO (meaning the people who work at the EO office) will think about a Hall of Fame, and even about the Driver of the Month idea you suggested in another thread. The problem is these folks have about 10,000 other things to think about too.

They are up to their eyeballs in web site administration, magazine publishing, planning and conducting workshops and trade shows, and much more. On top of all that, they are runnnig a business, which means time and attention to the activities all businesses share; sales and marketing, employment, accounting, etc.

The History of Expediting project got the green light because people have stepped forward to make it happen, and are willing to invest the thousands of hours it will take to see it through. Driver recognition programs like Hall of Fame and Driver of the Month sound great ideas but they require work too.

I think driver recognition programs would be a fantastic addition to EO, but it would be an administrative burden too. For them to work, someone, or a group of folks will need to decide who to recognize, how, and when. That takes you to a place where many people fear to tread; politics and egos. The instant you choose one person for inclusion, you will hear from people who dislike your choice, either because they dislike that person, or because they like someone better.

To make choices that you can defend, an objective screening process would be in order, but who decides what that will be, and how will it be administered?

The history project is easier in that regard because we seek to talk not about drivers who are worthy of recognition, but drivers whose experience best illustrates expediter lives and times as expediting emerged and grew.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maybe exclusive use and schedule set by customer should be qualified or have an asterisk. Exclusive use isn't always needed to meet a time definate need. Customers can sometimes get a bit unrealistic with the times they need. They need to understand that we can't be putting ourselves at risk for tickets or we will be out of a job.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You know I got to say that highway star hit on a good point, a lot of expediting companies do not follow the FedEx CC model; exclusive use is not in a lot of companies’ vocabulary or in their sales staff presentation. Many, I found out have drivers picking up a couple loads and dropping it off on the way, which does sound a lot like hot shot freight, multiple pickups and drops within a specific time period.

I don’t agree with the waiting for a load on the road is the criteria to define who is an expediter. I mean that I am sitting at home and waiting, not on the road. I have had a run almost every day of the week and ended up back home – so I am not an expediter?

And I find that unless someone cans definitive answer what freight qualifies as expedited freight, there is also another group of expediters that I really feel should be included, medical expediters, AKA lab couriers and emergency medical couriers. Both of these fall under the criteria set forth by both Phil and Terry;
Door to door
Exclusive use (we did not stop and pick up more Organs on the way to the hospital)
Time specific (with minutes counted)
Schedule set by customer, not carrier
Drivers wait for freight out on the road (yes we also did this)

Well enough said there.

With that said I got to say that a hall of fame and maybe an EO member of the month are better suited for all of us instead of a history of expediting. It is far easier to select an EO member every month or even every quarter if need be than an expediter of the month, which is still a good idea.

I don’t believe that EO staff should be involved outside of providing space for these things; it can be left up to the moderators to do the work and select the people. Political, yea so what – everything is a political game in some sense or another. People’s feelings get hurt, well life is not fair so I figure what ever someone does like this; there is someone who gets hurt, especially when egos are involved. But should this stop anything that can promote the profession, no not at all.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If an Expediter of the Month (or quarter, or whatever) is something people would like to do, the moderators could nominate, & the members could vote.
The biggest problem I can see, is where to put the designated parking space that "Best Whatever of the Month" always gets....:+ :7

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Will you also get a nice little bumper sticker like "Student of the Month" in EO colors?

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
for the month and the hall of fame we the drivers and companies should
send in a name we would like to see
short bio of person and what part of industry he help out in
as truck sales person, dispatcher, safey person a driver or team etc
and about 9 people who would be committee to read and put up to forum to vote on than in feb and aug same who is one
kind of like oscar's for different cat's etc
and we work for next year for the truck show in mar and than induct in aug at show

G

Okay Geo, tell us a little about yourself. This was your Ideal at 1st.

Drive safe

Dave Mayfield
C1847,C2045,D3397,