Expediters Expo 2009

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One of the best investments you can make if you want to be in this business. Good show and practically everyone is represented there.

Also a great chance to talk to other drivers. Definitely worth the trip.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
What Piper said. The Roberts Center is beautiful, smaller than MATS, and all expediters! The various seminars are excellent, and there's lots of great folks to meet. Plus, there's a Pilot right across the street [if you need a shower] :)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Actually there is a Loves also across the highway...the Convention center is a center.nice,.. the people are great...I don't look much at the trucks anymore...I do like the toys though...

And listening to the various recruiters sales pitches...*LOL*

I just wonder why they have Army recruiters at an old fogy get together? *LOL*

Then the stories...that always start with..." I had this load once"*L*

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Worth the drive and time.

'Cept look our for the middle aged, chubby guy who drives a little green buggy around the Convention Hall. He may have had one too many Dunkin Donuts if ya know what I mean!

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
It's only worth the time if:

1. You want to have face to face time with recruiters from many companies without sitting on the phone for hours.

2. You want to see lots of new trucks and vans, sleepers, equipment, etc...

3. You want to have face to face time with other expediters and wannabes.

4. You wanna kill a couple days hangin with old friends and new!

5. You wanna listen to good music, eat good food, meet the Chrome Shop Mafia, etc... and generally veg out...

Other than that.. nah... LOL.

Dale

Reactions: 1 person

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
If you have to choose one truck show to attend this year the Expo is the one to pick. You will get out of the Expo what you put into it.

If you want to meet other Expediters and spend a lot of time networking make the effort to meet anyone you can. If you just want to see recruiters, see new products, and look at new trucks that is possible to and you can stay to yourself.

There are several workshops given that are free that can help you to better your all ready existing business or give you hints on how to get into the business.

As a new person you also have a choice you can meet many people who are all ready expediting or you can meet people who are just getting into the business.

The highlight for us at the Expo is the networking we accomplish, friends we get caught up with, and the time spent out in the parking lot around a BBQ grill or even inside at the bar. By the end of the few days at the Expo our voices are very tired but we have a smile on our face!

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Linda and I hope to attend this year.
We almost got to last years, but, I had to take a
walk with my Daughter down the aisle and give her away. Yeah, Daddys lil girl went and got herself married.
I have attended many a convention put on by the other
industries I have been involved with and I have a feeling
that this event will be as interesting, informative and as fun
as any.
Also, we are looking foreward to meeting as many of the EO nation as possible.:eek::D

Dabus1952

Seasoned Expediter
I too have an interest in going to the expo.I would be driving in from Kenosha Wi.I was wondering If I could make it a family thing, bring my wife and 5 year old grandson? I want to get back into expediting,and have been doing lots of research,as well as waiting to see if things start picking up in this great country of ours.I was an O/O with roberts express back in early 90s.
Also is the hotel right there by the convention center? Do I need to register my wife and grandson seperatelyfor the expo? thanks for your imput.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
By all means, bring the family - though a small child may not be terribly interested, that's something you'd have to decide.
The Holiday Inn is part of the Roberts Center, though reservations at this point are maybe impossible, but there are other places nearby.
I'll defer to Lawrence or Dreamer on the registration question, cos I have no idea.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Last year and the year before there were several living statues that were awesome to watch and wait till they changed positions. These guys are good. I believe there was a stilt walker last year also. I am hoping that the chain saw cutter is at the Expo again as he was also awesome to watch.

From the kids I saw running around they all seemed to be having a blast. The Expo is a family affair and fun for all. The kids and family members all were wearing badges so go ahead and register them.

Go ahead and give the hotel a call and see if they have any rooms left and if you cannot get one there many rooms are close by.

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
Do you have to register to attend ahead of time? We would love to go but it will all depend on if we are in the area that weekend. :confused:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
You can register ahead of time or you can register on site. There is plenty of room to park and lots and lots to see. If you are anywhere in the Unites States or even in Canada the Expo is worth the trip. You just do not know who you will meet or the information you will gain. The Expo gives you access to lots of people and lots of great ideas.

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the info. :) If we are not too far away that weekend we will make an effort to attend. Since we drive for a fleet owner we will have to be fairly close by though as he pays for the fuel and he might not appreciate a long deadhead to attend. lol