European MB Sprinter competition.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Our recent visit to Europe was eyeopening from an expediter point of view. The Mercedes Benz Sprinter is the obvious choice of the majority of the light freight hauling community. During several hundred miles of travel in the eastern region of Germany and a bit of Poland, we saw no pickup trucks. As many PU trucks that we see in the USA, we saw Sprinters in Europe.

The clear runner-up to Sprinter use is the Ford Transit, but there are many other competitors, all of which are similar in appearance and apparent freight hauling capacities. Those that we saw were the

Citroen Jumper
VW Crafter
VW Transporter
Renault Master
Peugot Boxer
Fiat Ducato
Iveco Dailv
Opel Movano

A couple of other observations. We drove on several of the 'no speed limit' and '120kmh limit' highways that are collectively called the Autobahn. All that we saw were blacktop construction with no potholes or cracks. We saw no guardrail damage nor accidents and only one car on the shoulder. Also apparent was the lack of roadside litter and billboards or other forms of advertisement. Those German road planners and builders are sure doing something right.

BTW gasoline is only 1.34 euros per liter or $8.09 per US gallon so, in addition to the bicycle, the little 'Sport' automobile is a popular comuter vehicle.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Don't worry, we will be paying that much for fuel here someday too. How do you think they get "FREE" health care? They do a good job on the roads but I don't think they have as much traffice as we do. Remember one thing, we build our roads on the lowest bid. Layoutshooter

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't worry, we will be paying that much for fuel here someday too. How do you think they get "FREE" health care? They do a good job on the roads but I don't think they have as much traffice as we do. Remember one thing, we build our roads on the lowest bid. Layoutshooter

I sometimes think when sitting on the Ambassador bridge and over a million tons of moving freight and built by the lowest bidder!!!:D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, in Europe the Sprinter is everywhere. You can't throw a rock without hitting one. They're freight haulers, ambulances, shuttles and buses, news vans, you name it.

Incidentally, on the Autoban when they have a pothole or crack, they don't patch it, they replace an entire section of the road.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Turtle, I left something on your windshield and it ain't a booger.