Eubanks v. Panther II Transportation Inc.

underdog777

Seasoned Expediter
Also before jump to you have to be able to prove it.I know two ex dispatcher s and they told me that was one of the issues why trucks would sit.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Also before jump to you have to be able to prove it.I know two ex dispatcher s and they told me that was one of the issues why trucks would sit.

Again...no. Being understaffed on their end is not grounds for a lawsuit. Nothing in your contract would remotely come close to addressing that.
As for what a dispatcher told you; if you were sitting, all kinds of reasons for that. Like too many vans or not enough freight for vans, that kind of thing.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Do you think Mr. Eubanks would have sued Panther before it was taken over by a larger carrier?:confused:

In fact, that's exactly what he did. The Eubanks complaint was filed on 12/13/11. The Panther takeover by Arkansas Best concluded on 6/15/12.

I was surprised to learn that the Eubanks case survived the takeover. When one company is sold to another, it is common practice for pending litigation to be disclosed. I presume that was done when Arkansas Best purchased Panther. I also figured that this case would have been settled or otherwise made to go away before Arkansas Best sealed the deal. Obviously that did not happen, thus my surprise.

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In fact, that's exactly what he did. The Eubanks complaint was filed on 12/13/11. The Panther takeover by Arkansas Best concluded on 6/15/12.

I was surprised to learn that the Eubanks case survived the takeover. When one company is sold to another, it is common practice for pending litigation to be disclosed. I presume that was done when Arkansas Best purchased Panther. I also figured that this case would have been settled or otherwise made to go away before Arkansas Best sealed the deal. Obviously that did not happen, thus my surprise.

Liabilities including litigation costs for present and possible future cases are handled at the bargaining table before a sale is completed.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Liabilities including litigation costs for present and possible future cases are handled at the bargaining table before a sale is completed.

I understand that. It just surprised me that the gaining company took on Panther when the outcome of the case remained unknown.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I understand that. It just surprised me that the gaining company took on Panther when the outcome of the case remained unknown.

In the Dynamex purchase by Transforce...aka TST as you may know it....$165 million was set aside from the purchase price to offset any and all outstanding liabilities...

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I saw this sign on the back of a Swift trailer. It is just an innocuous statement. It is not a claim by Swift that they have award winning drivers or even safe and courteous drivers. It's a great public relations statement because it implicitly suggests to the reader that Swift does indeed have award winning drivers that are safe and courteous.

As I thought about this sign I realized what a great sign it would be for Panther. Their reputation took a hit with this law suit and a little bit of public relations spin couldn't hurt, right? Below is a crude "thumbnail sketch" of the Swift sign I altered for Panther trucks, trailers and cargo vans. Panther will need a graphic artist to do it up properly. Maybe even add their logo.

Attachments

• Panther Sign 2.jpg
    Panther Sign 2.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 106
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 100

ATeam

Retired Expediter
As I thought about this sign I realized what a great sign it would be for Panther. Their reputation took a hit with this law suit and a little bit of public relations spin couldn't hurt, right?

The trouble is that in this jaded age, any company that advertises its ethical and honest corporate executives would be perceived by the general public to have exactly the opposite.

Deebee

Rookie Expediter
Does anyone know if the court accepted the settlement proposal? If so, what is the effective date?

I received notice by mail this week that I am included in a class action lawsuit, Eubanks v. Panther II Transportation Inc. If you were leased to Panther as an O/O between December 13, 1996 and September 6, 2013, you may be eligible for a payment from this class action settlement.

http://www.transportsettlement.com/Documents/PTE0001/PTE_Second%20Amended%20Complaint.pdf

I am shocked and sadden by the allegations brought by Mr. Eubanks. I find it difficult to believe that my carrier, no, my PARTNER, would try and cheat me out of layover pay and mileage. Say it isn't so. Oh, woe is me! My trust and faith in my carrier has been decimated. How will I ever continue on? I guess $476.84 will help.

HockeyRob

Seasoned Expediter
I received notice by mail this week that I am included in a class action lawsuit, Eubanks v. Panther II Transportation Inc. If you were leased to Panther as an O/O between December 13, 1996 and September 6, 2013, you may be eligible for a payment from this class action settlement.

http://www.transportsettlement.com/Documents/PTE0001/PTE_Second Amended Complaint.pdf

I am shocked and sadden by the allegations brought by Mr. Eubanks. I find it difficult to believe that my carrier, no, my PARTNER, would try and cheat me out of layover pay and mileage. Say it isn't so. Oh, woe is me! My trust and faith in my carrier has been decimated. How will I ever continue on? I guess $476.84 will help.
Who do I Contact to get a Piece of this Settlement? I was Contracted through Panther from February of 2009 to March of 2011.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Payouts are scheduled at the end of January. To know about yours specifically you must have a actual claim number. Then you can call 855-330-5899 which is the administrator.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
"There is a hearing on the 16th of this month"
'Is any one familiar with the out come?".
Today is the second.
How many clairvoyant's do you think are on here?.;)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I never did get anything on this. I guess I won't get my $8. I'm sure the lawyers will still get their $8342 from my share though.