Eubanks v. Panther II Transportation Inc.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Well, if you take that money- just don't go over to the soap box shouting 'personal responsibility', or to the Tax table screaming 'IC vs Employee'. it is troubling some to see small business owners joining an compensation base class action.

Why so, Moose? I think it's a good thing to see those who cheat & manipulate numbers to 'game the system' for their own benefit held to account, and being an IC or small business owner has nothing to do with it. It's about being truthful or deceitful, that's all.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
How could you afford to hold out? I watched most of my fsc drop to the structured rate or slightly below. Now I have to ask for a bonus to make up for lost fsc on short loads and loads going to the boonies.

I don't pay any attention to it. We look at what the FSC is and we take it or leave it. Like you if it is below a certain number, they bonus us the difference so we are ok with that.
If by chance they don't, we turn it down. This is a tougher plan if in a van because there are so many of them.
Straights and tractors, not so much.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I don't pay any attention to it. We look at what the FSC is and we take it or leave it. Like you if it is below a certain number, they bonus us the difference so we are ok with that.
If by chance they don't, we turn it down. This is a tougher plan if in a van because there are so many of them.
Straights and tractors, not so much.

Like that intelligent guy says, " Don't complicate the simple."

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Like that intelligent guy says, " Don't complicate the simple."

Seems the ones who complicate the simple are the ones who intentionally make it difficult to calculate, by taking X amount away, then giving some of it back, [but only if you ask for it], and then only sometimes. The 'rules' seem to change constantly: once, I requested an empty move, and was told they no longer offered that. Less than a week later, they offered one I didn't ask for - go figure. Another favorite: detention begins after an hour - unless it's a 'special customer' whose contract allows for 2 hours. Which they don't mention until after you've waited an hour, of course. A loophole for everything!
"In complexity, much can be hidden."
I can't remember who said that, but it's a perfect description of how to cheat people, innit? :rolleyes:

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
Im only getting $148, im not signing. I would rather they just be Transparent and give the drivers what they are entitled too. Im beginning to think the dispatchers get bonuses for any extra money we dont get.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using EO Forums mobile app

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Seems the ones who complicate the simple are the ones who intentionally make it difficult to calculate, by taking X amount away, then giving some of it back, [but only if you ask for it], and then only sometimes. The 'rules' seem to change constantly: once, I requested an empty move, and was told they no longer offered that. Less than a week later, they offered one I didn't ask for - go figure. Another favorite: detention begins after an hour - unless it's a 'special customer' whose contract allows for 2 hours. Which they don't mention until after you've waited an hour, of course. A loophole for everything!
"In complexity, much can be hidden."
I can't remember who said that, but it's a perfect description of how to cheat people, innit? :rolleyes:

It has always been two hours for us regardless of the customer. Who knows....maybe I got a free cruise coming? :cool:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It has always been two hours for us regardless of the customer. Who knows....maybe I got a free cruise coming? :cool:

When I got drafted [from ConWay Now], the contract they faxed said 1 hour free, then detention. The first time I waited an hour, they told me about the 'special customer' exception. Whether I had been or not, I felt like I'd been scammed, and that's not good for morale, ya know?
A cruise is excellent for morale - I hope you and Moot both get one! :eek:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
When I got drafted [from ConWay Now], the contract they faxed said 1 hour free, then detention. The first time I waited an hour, they told me about the 'special customer' exception. Whether I had been or not, I felt like I'd been scammed, and that's not good for morale, ya know?
A cruise is excellent for morale - I hope you and Moot both get one! :eek:

Could have been a Conway deal? I was there before that but it was always two hours. May have to think about a cruise with Moot. Doesn't he just do the nude and single ones.;)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If Moot does any cruising, I'm betting it would be in a kayak, but whatever floats yer watercraft, eh?
;)

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
Not even close. This stuff goes on all the time. It isn't a problem as long as you understand the game. For the ones that don't, well....you will get taken advantage of. That goes across a wide swath of carriers and brokers.

And this is your typical Fleet Owner mentality. :thumbdown:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
And this is your typical Fleet Owner mentality. :thumbdown:

He understands too much to be a "typical" fleet owner.
That's part of the industry's problem.
When money was good it was too easy to be a fleet owner.
You didn't have to be smart.
You just had to be there.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I have - but only with clothes on. Good thing, because the last time we met for lunch, I brought Gotta Go along as a surprise, lol.

Ya notice, she isn't telling her side of the story ?
It's okay, she understands my humor. It's similar to her's. :)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It was always 2 hours. The worst part was that the shipper might keep you 2 hours and the cons might also keep you 2 hours. No detention. With Fedex, it's 2 hours total. If the shipper keeps you 90 minutes then the cons has a maximum of 30 minutes before detention starts.

guido4475

Not a Member
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

This was one of my settlement sheets from panther back in 96...just showing that panther was panther II even back than. There never was a panther or panther one like so many think there was.the reason panther II came about was panther, being fast and aggressive, and the II was for the 2 founders and owners, Craig and Danny.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Maybe they wanted the driver to be fast, smooth and aggressive, then give us 2 hours free..

After reading all this maybe it's always been 2 hours free for the driver, 1 hour free for the customer.