E-Track Installation

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Anyone know of a good jobber in the Dayton area that is experienced in placing 3/4" plywood in a cargo van and recessing the e-track in the plywood?

Thanks!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
David, check with a trailer repair shop or a household handy man. I would recommend the use of stainless steel fasteners and a rubberized undercoating.

Are you sure you couldn't do it yourself? All that is required are some basic hand tools, a Skill saw and an electric drill.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
RDH:

many of us use 1/2" ply as it's enough and keeps the weight down. If you place a 30" +/- ply down the center of the bed, fasten the e-track to the floor on each side, then a 6" +/- ply on the other side of the e-track. You should do ok. Self tapping stainless screws thru the floor will keep everything in place.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Lay the e-track down so that it's exactly 48" between the outer edges of them. Then, measure the distance between the inner edges and cut the plywood to fit. Then lay the plywood down and the e-track on each side, to ensure that everything fits, then drive self-tapping screws into everything. Viola! Done. The plywood will sit just above the e-track so the freight will never scrape on it.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
I had 1/2" on my last unit, but I was reading through the Recruiting Quick Reference Guide.

MIMIMUM VEHICLE REQUIREMENTS:

1 Ton suspension

Extended length

Cargo securement devices (e-track)

3/4" plywood floor

Any LEAM van operators know if they will refuse the 1/2" floor?

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Jim,

Thanks! I forgot about Kaffenbarger. I actually live within walking distance of their shop. In fact, they will be installing the poly liner on my van (GM Upfitter Program). I just didn't know that they did flooring.

I will stop by and visit them next week.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
The wife had her van done there (just e-track on the side walls).
I assume that they do flooring, they do everything else.

We live in Beavercreek, not to far from Dayton.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Jim,

I saw your salutation a few weeks ago and showed it to my wife and son. They both got a huge chuckle!

Our church is in Beavercreek at the corner of Fairfield and Lantz Rd directly across from BellFair. Charity Baptist Church. Myself, another expediter and a couple of former truckers are members.

Stop by and visit with us this week if you are in the area. This week Sunday - Thursday is our annual campmeeting. Free breakfast and lunch Tues - Thursday. Preaching, gospel singing in the morning after breakfast and then again in the evening. I think eating is a Baptist distinctive.:)

I live right off Dryden Road just past the first traffic light when you exit I-75.

Kaffenbarger did the GM upfitter package install on my first van. It had the poly liner with the side wall e-tracks, full cargo area headliner and a steel partition. I won't be getting the partition this time. You can't recline the seats when the partition is installed. I intend to insulate the cargo area before I take to them for the GM upfitter install.

sluggo

Seasoned Expediter
RDH:

many of us use 1/2" ply as it's enough and keeps the weight down. If you place a 30" +/- ply down the center of the bed, fasten the e-track to the floor on each side, then a 6" +/- ply on the other side of the e-track. You should do ok. Self tapping stainless screws thru the floor will keep everything in place.

Can the E-trac be attached w/o welding or bolts, using self tapping screws?

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
I would think welding would be better if you use screws might take a chance and poking a hole in a hose

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

guido4475

Not a Member
I welded my e-track to the floor, less chances of screws ripping or vibrating out that way.Better to be safe than sorry.Flying freight is not a good thing...12"x1/8 thick steel plate in front, against the bulkhead wall, keeps the freight from hitting the bulkhead wall, and 12"x1/8 thick steel plate along the sides keep the freight from hitting the wheel wells during loading and unloading..E-track is 24" apart from one another, that way, small skids can be strapped down as well.So many place their e-track on the outside of the cargo area, with this huge gap in the middle, so strapping small freight is diffcult this way.I willl use aluminum next time,instead of steel to save weight.

Monty

Expert Expediter
There might be a better reason for the way plywood, e-track and retainers are installed other than whether the carrier inspects it. Just sayin ..

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
The original poster in this thread has since retired, sold his van and moved to the Philippines. I doubt he cares? Lol

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dragging this thread up to the light of day so others can see it didn't hurt anything. Unless I'm mistaken, we have some newbies floating around who could use a set-up tip or two, and this thread is one of those set-up threads.