Drug Testing for Welfare Recipients

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hey-ell no! We put up with their stealing because it's preferable to watching them starve and die in the street. So they get only what it takes to keep them alive and get decent nutrition. If they want luxuries, they can GET A JOB.

Monger, I merely was responding to the argument that food stamps are used to buy cakes and such. It is too conviluted for the government to decide what is and isn't healthy. For example some experts say that orange juice and skim milk isn't great for you because of the sugar content.like I said before alcohol and tobacco excluded !ecause they aren't food products.I already gave my thoughts about luxury items. People who need food stamps can get by without just like some without food stamps who removed those luxuries from their budget.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
No, they'd have to have the same requirements to issue a license as all the others. But if they have to compete for customers, then they all have to do it as cheaply, efficiently, and politely as they can. Maybe one agency isn't all that polite, but they're cheap, and people who value that over other factors would choose to go there. Others may value speed most of all, and agency B gets you in and out the fastest, so that's where they decide to go.
I'm not saying there necessarily should be 3 agencies or that there's enough work for 3, but just that when consumers have a choice, the suppliers either compete for their business or go bankrupt. Case in point: if the post orifice no longer had the legal monopoly and FedEx & UPS & whoever else could deliver first class mail, guess what the post orifice would do... They'd either improve overnight or be out of business in 6 months. Or maybe weeks. Why do they remain as they are? They don't HAVE TO change. They're not operating as a private sector entity who has to please the customer.

The USPS doesn't have a monopoly you can send your first class mail FedEx or UPS anytime you want to,you will just pay more.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Yes, the post orifice is called for in the constitution. But the government also gave them a monopoly by outlawing private first-class mail delivery. I don't think the constitution says to do that.

First Class is a term made up by USPS like Second Class etc. only as a pricing format. It is not against the law to send or deliver a letter by any means you want to. FedEx or UPS can deliver Grandmas letter,it just cost more.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
As mentioned, I am more of a liberal mindset when it comes to welfare. I have no problem helping people out when things go south but I think it should be treated like unemployment. People are entitled to unemployment for a certain period of time because they pay in to it when they are working. Totally ok with that. Same thinking should go for welfare. You get it for a prescribed period of time and that is it. Of course you can't have starving children so if they go past that prescribed period, the abled body should be required to work for their benefits. Any incentive to stay on it must be stripped away.
If i'm not mistaken most states do have restrictions on welfare benefits,PA for sure. You can't get cash assistance unless you have Children,only food stamps and medical. There is a five year limit for everybody,and you must show proof that you are actively seeking employment,I think five application's a week,and they are tough on the job thing until you get at least 20 hours a week employment.Not to be rude but these guy's are arguing for no reason. I think President Reagan got Welfare reform passed.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Oh yea,I forgot also in PA.,say you get 200.00 or whatever a month in food stamps, if you don't spend them before next month you lose what was left over,so if you budgeted pretty good this month and have a few bucks left over might as well reward yourself with a few cupcakes for the kids,or you could just let them take em back.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If i'm not mistaken most states do have restrictions on welfare benefits,PA for sure. You can't get cash assistance unless you have Children,only food stamps and medical. There is a five year limit for everybody,and you must show proof that you are actively seeking employment,I think five application's a week,and they are tough on the job thing until you get at least 20 hours a week employment.Not to be rude but these guy's are arguing for no reason. I think President Reagan got Welfare reform passed.

Time and job searching requirements were removed by Obama.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This is an awesome story of self reliant people and a shiny symbol of good old American hard work to us all. I had just been reading some of your old posts and a few questions come to mind.

To help me and others get a handle on their life maybe you would be so kind as to shed some light on a few things I am confused by.

Is this your wife's male cousin and his wife or her female cousin and her husband? because on 7-4-08 it is different than 9-4-13.

Also back in 08 all that were old enough were in college of the 6 being home schooled.

Here is where I get really confused though, now they have one graduated from college and one still in school but on 3-12-12 2 had already graduated from college. What happened? Did one lose their accreditation some how? This is mind boggling.
Thanks for any response I eagerly await an update and bravo to this fine American success story.

7-4-08 My wifes cousin home schools all HER kids, 6 of the. All that are old enough scored VERY high on the SAT's and went on to college.

3-12-12 My wife's cousin lives west of that River. Home schools 7 kids. The two oldest have already graduated from college. Both have jobs. One is married to a proud Marine. No problems. All are as well if not better adjusted than their public school counter-parts.

9-4-13 You could ask my wife, but you would likely call her ....................... too. How about her cousin? HE has 7 kids, wife does not work. Home schools them all, 1 graduated from college, one in college now,

Her cousin is male. Wife stays home. She has, or is, home schooling all. 1 has graduated, 1 in LSU now. They have 7 total. I forget the ages, I only get to see them once every few years. One job, he runs a small, one man extermination business. He is now looking to expand into organic beef. They live in LA, in between Baton Rouge and New Orleans.

In 12- 12 one was married, now the two oldest girls are. Life marches on, snap shooting posts lead to out of date examples. The "6" was a typo, it is next to the 7.

I find it AMAZING the the government is spending money to "inform" people how to get more "freebies", at the expense of other's, instead to requiring people to raise themselves out of the mess.

I was wrong about who graduated when.

Nice try.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
IF the public has the right to decide what is done with THEIR hard earned money? IF? What would even make anyone think that we do not have a right to control what happens what is done with OUR MONEY? It is NOT the "government's" money. It is owned solely by the person that EARNED that money. We should ALL have the CHOICE of where our charity dollars go.

Money, like our home's, cars etc, is private property. We have a right to own and control our private property. We, as a people, allow the government to take some of the property to run the government. We, as a people have the right to decide what is done with that money.

When people purchase a commodity, service or product they do so by choice. People can control where their monies go in the private sector. They can, and often do, just avoid companies that they are opposed to.

As you said: we, the people, voluntarily chose to fund the government in order that it carry out basic tasks for the common welfare. Once taxes are collected, they are no longer our personal money, and we have no control [beyond the voting booth & impeachment process] over how that money is spent.
Most citizens would prefer that the needy [including children, elderly, and handicapped, as well as those down on their luck] not be left homeless, hungry, or uncared for. Private charity didn't do a very good job, which is why the government stepped in. As far as providing basic needs, they still don't - ever check out some of those 'charities'? They seem to exist to reap the monetary rewards of other peoples' generosity, but the ones they purport to help get nearly none of it. The religious charities couldn't avoid forcing their beliefs upon people as a condition of getting food or a bed, and people preferred to go without rather than go along with the false charity. [It isn't truly charity if there are strings attached.] I believe I understand that perfectly, and would do the same.
Your anecdotal support for your beliefs [your family, and people you know] does not mean a thing to the rest of civilized society, you know. Nor does your belief that if you did it, they can too [and it's odd, but almost the only people with that attitude are white males, most of whom have a wife to help out], because they are not you, and you have no idea what they can or can't do, or why.
And this is just me, personally, but I find the judgmental attitude regarding what other people [whose circumstances you know nothing about] 'deserve' or 'should have' to be about as uncharitable as humanly possible.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
You want to dictate to people what they can do with the stuff Robin Hood gives them?

Well Sheriff, wouldn't it be better to have a sit-down with Robin Hood?
Essentially. I mean, we'd have to lay down the law to Robin Hood (an apt analogy, considering he was stealing) about how such stolen monies can be used, what welfare EBT cards can & can't buy, how they shouldn't be able to make change, etc. The end result would be the same.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
First Class is a term made up by USPS like Second Class etc. only as a pricing format. It is not against the law to send or deliver a letter by any means you want to. FedEx or UPS can deliver Grandmas letter,it just cost more.
You're incorrect. FedEx & UPS are limited to DOCUMENTS and such. They don't check what's in the envelope (yet, afawk), so it could be done. But they aren't allowed to set up a system to handle first-class mail (i.e. letters). Only the post orifice may do that.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
if you don't spend them before next month you lose what was left over,so if you budgeted pretty good this month and have a few bucks left over might as well reward yourself with a few cupcakes for the kids,or you could just let them take em back.
Reward yourself...for what, stealing? What do the indigent do worthy of a reward? A reward, by definition, is earned.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh yea,I forgot also in PA.,say you get 200.00 or whatever a month in food stamps, if you don't spend them before next month you lose what was left over,so if you budgeted pretty good this month and have a few bucks left over might as well reward yourself with a few cupcakes for the kids,or you could just let them take em back.

Most states the money just adds up. Don't spend it one month its still there for your pleasure. I'm pretty certain rollover is a fed requirement that all states must follow.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
it is not stealing when given to you....Welfare should completely be a state and county issue...whatever they think what programs the system can afford....pretty bad when we can pay out TRILLIONS to a military but not take care of our hungry and less fortunate, some thru no fault of their own, need our TEMPORARY help....(notice the TEMPORARY?)

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The military thing is an old stale argument. We spend gigantic amounts on social issues and added together they can be larger than our defense budget. It would depend on what you include in that category.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The military thing is an old stale argument. We spend gigantic amounts on social issues and added together they can be larger than our defense budget. It would depend on what you include in that category.

If it was strictly a state issue which IMO it should be..then the military argument is a no go zone....