Driving Without Lines

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Thursday night at 11:30pm I left Dayton in a rental car and headed to Buffalo to pickup the truck.

From the Flying J in Austinburg (east of Cleveland) all the way to Buffalo I drove on packed snow. I couldn't even see the pavement. It was pretty much 40mph all the way.

And the drive back to Dayton was only marginally better.

It was the worst storm in which I have ever driven.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It gets tiring fast to keep your attention for that long a period, constant alertness for hours..all it takes is one distraction...you have to drive for everyone else around you and keep planning your escape route as you go....

guido4475

Not a Member
Thursday night at 11:30pm I left Dayton in a rental car and headed to Buffalo to pickup the truck.

From the Flying J in Austinburg (east of Cleveland) all the way to Buffalo I drove on packed snow. I couldn't even see the pavement. It was pretty much 40mph all the way.

And the drive back to Dayton was only marginally better.

It was the worst storm in which I have ever driven.

Imagine that!! You were right by my house! It snows alot there, doesnt it? Glad you made it safely, though.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Welcome to the Buckle of the Snow Belt, This last storm dumped 36 inches in my driveway, We've run out of places to put the snow.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I ran on I 94 in Mich like that last yr...i can tell you when i got out of it my hands armes and neck were all stiff, and i took a short nap afterwards also....no fun at all, it just wears you out...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We ran from NJ to Toronto in that mess. We got lucky and we were able to get in between the morning and afternoon storms and made without any real problems. Due to HOS issues Mrs. Layoutshooter had the privilege of driving most of the time while in the snow. I only had to drive the last 2.5 hours.

transporter

Expert Expediter
ovm, i think dispatch can help you out with your driving preference. In future any loads over 375 miles you will transfer load to another truck.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
ovm, i think dispatch can help you out with your driving preference. In future any loads over 375 miles you will transfer load to another truck.

do you realize just how hard it is to make a BLT while driving?

slicing the tomatoes is a real challenge especially in a city..:D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
i can usually spread the mayo or the PB pretty well...the toaster is on the passenger seat....but a sharp knife and Detroit streets is down right scary...*LOL*

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
i can usually spread the mayo or the PB pretty well...the toaster is on the passenger seat....but a sharp knife and Detroit streets is down right scary...*LOL*

And a very good thing to have down there!!! So would a armored truck, that would at least slow them down!!! :D

transporter

Expert Expediter
ovm you are being scheduled for another safety class. clean shoes, shirt, and PANTS required. there will be a test after class

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I actually don't do the BLT thingee...but do make the PB sandwich on the move tho....years of practice..:D

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
It seems to be getting spread pretty thick alright.:rolleyes:

Bout right Leo. All this from a bunch that would mor'n likely turn freight down in weather, or take the load an lay down in ten miles or so. Can't believe Chappy would take all those chances jes to git the new truck home. Wonder'in bout prioritys.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Bout right Leo. All this from a bunch that would mor'n likely turn freight down in weather, or take the load an lay down in ten miles or so. Can't believe Chappy would take all those chances jes to git the new truck home. Wonder'in bout prioritys.

Hey just hold on one hot minute there mister!!...hope you'n not referin to moi? or we'll be meetin at the OK Corral...;)

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
It was a long grueling drive.

Got to the airport about 8:30 and turned in the rental.

I walked up to the airport and found the bus stop.

Waited about 15 minutes for a bus.

Rode into Buffalo and transferred to another bus (10 minute wait).

My only miscalculation was the walk from the second bus to the body company. I forgot that the sidewalks may not have been shoveled and they were not.

I trudged on with snow coming into shoes and just about fell down on two occasions.

Got there and started the truck to melt the ice. At first, I couldn't find the wiring harness for the Fantastic vent as I had requested it be left inside the cargo box. Walked back inside and the parts counter guy came out with me to verify it was not inside the cargo box. A phone call to the fabrication dept and another walk back to the truck. Yes, it was in the corner of the box, but underneath. No big deal as Espar will bring a power cable up through that area and they can bring the vent wiring back inside with their cable.

OK, let's roll. Adjust my power mirrors...uh, wait a minute, they won't adjust. Another walk inside. The electrical installer comes down. Apparently, someone tried to operate the mirrors while they were covered with ice. A simple push of the heater button to warm the mirrors before operating would have prevented the fuse from blowing.

The fuse was replaced and now the mirrors are working.

And we're driving, and we're driving.

Got hung up in a traffic jam on the Columbus bypass. tried to take a short cut and it took me 1 hour to go 10 miles.

Finally made it back about 8:30pm. Parked and walked to the back of the truck to lock the rear door. One of the holes was slightly small than the other and my lock would not go through the second hole. Back in the truck and off to Wally World to buy a temporary lock.

Basically, I was up for 22 hours. Kind of surprised myself considering my advanced age.

Went to IKEA today and bought shelving.

Should pick up some e-track tomorrow.