Drivers Solutions and Expedite Solutions

Runninontime

Seasoned Expediter
Hello,
My husband and I have been in the transportation business for twenty years and he has decided he does not want to drive 18 wheelers anymore so we are investigating the above companies because I want to drive and see this opportunity to "get paid for travelling". Since I do not have a CDL. Drivers Solutions is offering training for me and then we would move over to Expedite Solutions. Everything sent to us by recruiters sounds too good. We would like to hear from other couples who have been through the Drivers Solutions training and working with Expedite Solutions.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I haven't been with them, but I have an easier solution than going thru a school. Study the cdl book with your husband. Take your test to get your permit. Find an owner who understands you need to get your cdl. Have your husband train you. Go home and find a tester, using the same truck you've been driving. Get your license. Way cheaper, no obligation to pay back for a school if something goes sour. Good luck!

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I agree with T-Hawk, I did the self study thing got a van and went on the road.

I tend to say that an established small company may be a better place to start but regaurdless there are so many companies out there and so many fleet owners looking for good people, that you should not have to worry about finding how to get into this.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
To be rather blunt, there is no reason to go to a driving school for a class B cdl. People drive the same size truck to move their furniture, with no training. You would have a team member how can give you more info than any two week course ever will. Schools for a class "B" cdl ONLY HELP THE PEOPLE WHO OWNE THE SCHOOL.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
you can do self study for your cdl,can get the cdl book at any dmv,then you can get your B lisc,make sure you get hazmat,its a big part of expediting.
after you have your B cdl,most of the companies will just want you to take a drivers test,at a school,school will have a truck for you to drive,might cost 50 bucks for school to give test,but wont be nothing to it

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
I wouldn't pay a school to get a CDL-B. Study the book from DMV. If your husband has driven for 20 years then he can teach you the practical side of trucking. If you're getting into expediting you will need the Hazmat endorsement because Hazmat is a bulk of our freight. Good Luck

marvinkwagner

Not a Member
Hey Im flying the Red Flag on Truck Driving Solution for ya

in 2005 I was searching for a place to go get my CDL Well I checked out Truck Driving Solutions

They are In Indiana, Let me explaine how they were going to get me my CDL

One of the Recruters name is MR. Townsend

1. show up fill out some paper work then get a study book then go take the IND CDL Permit test.

They make you a state resident of Indiana. Yup you give up your state licence.

Now Here me out once you passed the DOT and all that you get your CDL but in Indiana well guess what happens then if your in a state Like me Virginia, Ha ha guess what you come back to that state and got to take all your stupid tests all over again. Along with the Driving part as well. Now Go figure.

Yes they find some poor truck company to sponser ya Ya ya I had US Trucks going to sponser me. Well Kevin aint no Dummy

I asked all the questions and made some calls .
Nope I didn't fall prey to the Illusited Mr. Townsend
ya I got there Packet that they send with all the CDL Questions and Answers for Indiana.

The recruter called me Mr. Townsend and I said Can I ask ya some questions, he agreeded well he lied to me and I told him to have a nice day.

Alot of People are falling Prey to this place what they don't understand is they make you a state resident then when you go back to your state if your in a State such as mine you take all the crap again. Not worth the Time or the Monie.

So I maybe Green but I almost fell hook line and sinker for That Place Im just glad My gut told me to ask questions and check it out better.

Have a Safe One
and God Bless
Kevin

CindyLouWho

Seasoned Expediter
Let me tell you from experience..............
My fiance' and I were working regular jobs when we decided to get into the expedite business. Neither of us had our class B licenses and neither of us had any experience with driving a truck. My fiance' had ordered the guides for getting your cdl, but I really wasn't comfortable reading the guides and renting a truck just to get it. I felt like I needed some training actually driving the truck. So, I found Expedite Solutions online and gave them a call. Things sounded peachy and we ended up going last year. I don't regret going with them to get the training for driving, but that's about all either of us got out of it. They, like the other guy said, give you the IN cdl book and you read it and go take your test to get your permit. Once that happens, they teach you how to drive and expedite truck. You are on your own for learning the pre-trip inspection and all the other knowledge. You take your road test and pre-trip and if you pass, you go get your licnese. We then had to go back home to NC and get our license transferred over. We, luckily, didn't have to take the road or written tests over again. We ended up leaving Expedite after running with them for 2 months. I've met a number of people who have gone through the same thing with them and wish they hadn't.
My advice to you would be to get your husband's help with the driving and pre-trip part and study for the written tests.
I hope this helps somewhat......

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have friends who both went through that. They didn't get anything except a license that was useless as soon as they returned home and had to redo it in the home state. They are being billed now for a huge amount of money for what should have been at most a few hundred dollars cost. There may be good experiences out there but their's wasn't. Good luck.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Isn't this kind of illegal?

I mean that there are sometimes strick residency laws that prevent people from hopping from one state to another to avoid things like taxes and such and in some cases there has to be solid proof of residency, like rent bill or a phone bill.

I think that is it trully unethical.

Well I am sitting next to a team who belongs to Expediting Solutions and wonder why they left and then parked next to me? maybe they want success of FedEx to rub off on them? :*

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Greg, I went out of state - I researched driving schools, and the one I thought would be best was located in another state. As this is an educational issue, why is that unethical? Once I got my CDLA, I transferred it to my home state, taking just the written part & Hazmat sections again.
I'd agree with the posters who say that Drivers Solution is charging a lot of money for something you can do on your own, since one of you is an experienced driver. Good luck to you!

mstaz

Seasoned Expediter
Expedite Solitions is nothing but a ripe off. If you want to survie in the world of truck driving have your husband teach you the things that you need to know for your cdl. My Fiance and I went through the training at expedite solutions and the owner is a joke. we only worked for them for 10 months, which was 10 months to long cause we got in a finacial hole and could not get out. When we got back to PA to switch our license over all we had to take was the hazmat test that was it

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
What do you want to bet someone on the forums will go there anyway, and within the year will be back on here saying they got ripped, please help, how do I get out of this?

Maybe not this poster but one who has read this post, will do it anyway.

catshavestaff

Seasoned Expediter
At the risk of being flamed, slammed, classified as terribly stupid, or whatever else is thrown our way:

My husband and I, both professionals outside of trucking, read these forums end to end, researched the industry, and STILL went through Drivers Solutions and ended up with Expedite Solutions. And guess what? We found an incredibly supportive, helpful, and professional group of people who taught a couple of total trucking novices the rudiments of trucking, shepherded us through the licensing process, and have our backs every day. Yes, we had to return to TX to switch our licenses from Indiana to Texas CDL's, without retesting.

Perhaps seasoned t/t drivers and their friends/spouses, or family members wouldn't benefit by going our route. Certainly an experienced OTR driver could make the transition without handholding, and be successful.

We didn't know squat, repeat, nada, nothing, zilch about trucking, but were impressed with all of you fine people and your stories of life on the road, seeing the country, making a living, and not having to play office politics, or deal with some of the garbage that "normal" jobs carry. We also decided that we wanted to be successful at expediting, and knew that we would benefit from a good support structure.

ES has been that for us, and we have really been thankful for them. There have been situations we would have had no earthly idea how to handle and have been glad to hear them on the other end of the phone. Someone here said once that dispatch is not your friend, and we have learned that is true!

Reading the CDL manual and renting a truck and signing on with a carrier may work great for some folks, in fact, seems to have worked great for a lot of drivers on this forum. But not all of us. Isn't that one of the hallmarks of driving? Individuality? Not every method works for everybody, and we realize ours would not or has not worked for others, but it works great for us, and probably would for others like us.

Anyway, we're glad to be here, and having fun, in spite of the stresses of learning this new life, and grateful for all the other drivers who take the time to post here and teach us something new.

Thanks.

The Stewarts

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
If you want a Class A than go to any local College in your County.

Want a Class B do as the first few posters said up to Nightcreature, cause where he is incorrect is that none of them have a Class 7 with Airbrakes Truck sitting around for you to do your Test in. (6 wheel truck) they have Tractor Trailers have never seen a school have a 6-wheeler with air brakes sitting around.

Since your husband has a Class A, renting a Ryder Truck 6 Wheeler with Airbrakes and taking it with an appointment set, to a local Community College that offers Class A Classes they will for a small charge give the driving test to approve you for your Class B.

Good Luck to both of you.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Like some of the other folks said find an owner in your home state and study the test and ask that owner if you can use his truck to take the driving part. It should cost less than $150.00 if you pass the 1st time.

Drive safe
Dave Mayfield
FedEx Custom Critical
13 years as an O/O in Expediting.

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
Are there E.S teams that made the transition to o/o? if so and you didnt't go broke or get divorced ya did alright.

catshavestaff

Seasoned Expediter
Yes, there are teams who started out with Expedite Solutions that eventually went o/o, and are doing well. We met one particular couple who stopped by and asked them all sorts of questions. They were very realistic in their representations of E.S. and expediting in general, and were quick to say that if you could survive the first 90 days without killing each other, chances were good you could manage the lifestyle. They also said that if you had realistic expectations of expediting in general, meaning the money, the waiting, the seasonal nature of the business, and made financial plans to accomodate those variables, chances were good you'd make it. The last was whether or not we would like the lifestyle - not just survive it, but learn to enjoy it, then it might be worth considering becoming o/o's ourselves.

If it all had been too pie-in-the-sky we would have not just walked, but run away. So far, we have found that we were told the truth, especially since we really guarded against hearing only what we wanted/hoped to hear.

24darode

Seasoned Expediter
24darode
We went with E.S. their good people who treated us well Kyle,Stephanie,Shelby,jason,and Chad have all been good to us they
put us with E-1 and were happy wtih them also

Bob and Jean:) :D :D

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
Hmmmm, Just wondering where Runninontime went, or if their still interested. Their original post was on 2-16-07 and people are still responding and I haven't even seen a thanks for the replys or nothing. maybe it was someone from this driver solutions or expedite solutions to see what was said about this company.
Just my thoughts.