Dogs in trucks

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I been noticing a lot of dogs in trucks lately, maybe because I am thinking of getting one to keep the truck like home, full of dog hair – no really it gets rather boring out here making all this money as my new goal is to make a million dollars by the end of next year and I don't think I will make it home at all for the rest of the year.

OK just kidding… I hope to pay all the bills and I am seriously thinking of a dog.

Well next to me is a golden retriever, small one that is and a matching owner. Down the row here there are a couple English bull dogs and several miniature whatevers. I have seen a lot of smaller dogs, that is less than 15 pounders more than any other dog in a truck.

So a week ago, I went into Pilot after fueling up and a truck stops in the fuel isle just ahead of me. As I pass, pops out of the sleeper the head of a Great Dane, cropped ears and all looking around. He I would say was around 130 pounds and all black with white freckles. As a former breeder of Great Danes and knowing that they are better suited for smaller spaces still makes me think that this is not a good match, a Great Dane equipped truck, simply because it is difficult for them to get in and out of the truck.

The one dog I have yet to see is the old faithful beagle. I have seen basset hounds and even a stinky blood hound.

Woof

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've never understood dogs in trucks. I understand the idea but it just seems to confining and unfair to the dogs. It seems like having a dog at home that's kept in the walk in closet 20+ hours a day. I'm sure nobody would think that's a good idea or humane thing but when transferred to a truck it's suddenly ok. My .02 on it. Thank goodness for nomex shorts.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Leo I have to disagree on this one to an extent. You need to think before you get a dog on what the breed’s habits are. If you get a dog that loves to run all the time or is very active this life is cruel. You get a dog that only wants to be with you and pretty much has the personality of a couch potato this is the life. I also think an older dog is easier as then don’t chew and they usually have their bowels under control. Our dog hates to go home. In the truck she is the princess. I have made the mistake of keeping track of what we spend on her and you have to be ready for a pretty big financial hit. They need shots for all parts of the country not just the where you live, they need flea and tick medicine year around, they need good food to keep them healthy. Molly will also only drink bottled water. The water is too different everywhere you go and you don’t want a sick dog in the truck. If you have a longhaired dog they need groomed and brushed. They need walks and it doesn’t matter what the weather is like. The hard thing on the dogs also is weather. Molly has a coat, a raincoat, and a sweater and also shoes if the ground is muddy. You also have to think about them if you want to go shopping or a day of site seeing. You either have to have an APU or leave your vehicle running, they should not suffer while you site see. An animal in the truck is a huge commitment and when our Molly passes away she will be the last until we retire.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've yet to see a dog that wasn't happy as can be to be with it's human. I'm a dog lover and would love the companionship. But, the hassle probably would be too much. The Caffees post pretty much confirmed what I've been thinking.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Greg, have you ever taken one of your cats along? They may be a bit less of a hassle than a dog but in my opinion a dog is a better companion. The Caffee's sure pointed out all that is involved in taking a pet along. But if you are willing to devote the time and expense I'm sure it is worth it. I'm on my second dog and have taken neither on the road with me. I would like to take Lyla someday. Maybe just for a week. Arf!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Moot,
I have thought about a cat but I just don't know. I mean that I can't take any of the spoiled cats that I have at home so I would have to get another one and I know the first time I open the door and my wife sees it, it will be hers.

A Dog, yep A Dog.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I guess if the couch potato dog is kept in the closet at home 20 or so hours a day then being kept in the truck isn't much different. I don't doubt that dogs look happy with people. It's part of the nature of dogs. I'll post pet diaries that illustrate it.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Jayman

Expert Expediter
Ex wife had a poodle when she was driving otr. Poodles dont shed hair and handle change well.

are12

Expert Expediter
We would love to take our dogs on the truck but as you can see by the picture, they would take up more room than Jim and I.:) :)

Seriously, I know our dogs would not be happy being confined to such a small area. Our male loves to run and play frisbee - the more he can run and jump the happier he is. Now the female, she might be happy laying around but with her bad hips, she would have a difficult time getting in and out of the truck. Besides, if we take Shiloh without Shadow, he gets so worked up that he makes himself sick!

Jim has talked about getting a small dog to ride along with us but I just don't feel right about doing that. To me, it is not fair to the 2 we already have and believe me, they are spoiled!

We have rescued a couple of strays from truckstops and found them good homes so I know it can be time consuming to have a dog on the truck - especially a puppy.

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
We used to take our toy poodle with us when we drove an 18-wheeler for another company. Once we went into a DR-unit and leased onto FECC we had to leave her at home. FECC's White Glove rules don't allow pets on the truck and we were told if we were caught with one on the truck we would have our WG statis revoked and could loose our lease. That's really ashamed since we enjoyed having her with us!:'(

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
What about other pets besides cats and dogs? I was tempted to get a ferret. What do you think about an iguana?

Personally, if I had a cat like Stolley again, I'd definitely take him. Talk about a cat that acts like a dog (thus his nick "puppy cat")

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
greg334

I will add to this about the joys of having Molly with us and why we will not consider moving to White Glove. Molly is eleven years old, a spayed blond Cocker Spaniel who has been a pampered pet since the day she came into our house. As she sees it her only job in this truck is to keep track of us. She is not a guard dog by any stretch of the imagination as all people are her friends. When we are out of the truck she is in the front seat watching. When one of us gets out of the truck she is in the front seat watching and always thrilled to see us return. She loves to go for walks if the weather is nice she doesn’t like heat and she doesn’t like cold. She loves to curl up next to you and watch a movie, she can sense if we are upset and she will just move forward and sit between the seats in easy reach of an arm. She is a happy dog and has to many funny little things she does that make us smile every day. We spend a lot of time admiring Molly or discussing some silly thing she has done. When one of us is driving and the other is sleeping she curls up next to you and takes her half out of the middle. We dread the day when she is not with us even though our income will jump significantly. We made the choice when Molly came into our lives we would take care of her till she passed away or make sure she would be taken care of. Do not forget a dog lives many years and you are making a long-term commitment but as far as we are concerned she has brought us nothing but joy.

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
Linda is exactly right. If you are a dog lover there is no greater joy for both you and the dog than to be together. Dogs are pack animals and they need a leader. If you assume the role of leader, you are in control and the dog is comfortable.

We travel with Gabby, a 4.5lb Maltese. In November when our son returned home from school, our plan was to leave Gabby home. We left her for four weeks. She was so distraught we went by the house and picked her up. She is here now laying on my lap sleeping.

Research shows having a pet reduces stress. Many nursing homes have resident pet for therapy.

However, if you are not a pet person please do not get one thinking you'll grow to appreciate it.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Linda,

When Molly is gone are you sure you can live without another dog? We had a rat terrier for 17 years. When I had to have her put down my son remarked " you have known Sammi longer than me". We lasted about a year without a dog. We thought we would enjoy not having the commitment. We were wrong. So we bought Lyla who was a rescued puppy. I forgot how much work a puppy can be but it has been worth it. We are dog lovers and its great to have a dog in the house again. I have thought about taking Lyla on the road but she weighs in at 44 pounds and snores.

hedgehog

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think dogs love to be with humans under any condition. How we perceive their happines is just that. A perception.

Don't forget that many of the smaller dogs were originally bread in the 17th and 18th centuries to be lap dogs. Dogs that were trained to be sedentary animals that would be very in close proximity to humans.

Historians and veternarians have said that humans in those days had as many fleas as did other warm blooded animals and the best way to combat the fleas were to have lap dogs. Fleas could thrive more successfully on a furrier dog. So, when the insfestation got unbearable, the owner would grab a lap dog, and hence the flea situation improved.

At least for the owner.

Be safe.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Moot, I do not know if we can be without a dog. I have never in my life not had a dog and as Coco has said they are a stress reliever and I sure depend on her for that. I just don't know if the job is worth it and as we are now we are doing fine love our job and what little White Glove loads we get due to our liftgate we really enjoy.

If and when we get another dog though I dont think it will be a puppy as Molly also has us spoiled with her quite ways.

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Yes, pet ownership is and should be a lifelong (life of the pet) commitment as has always been with us.It was a hard decision for us to accept that we would not be allowed to have a pet onboard. Fortunately, our poodle was only on the truck part of the time and home the rest of the time with our austrailian shepard and cat. Since my wife's elderly mom lives with us our house and pets are cared for.
Had we not had that arrangement, well White Glove would not have been an option for us!

Being in a reefer unit it would have made no financial sense for us not to be in White Glove, plus or financial goals require that we be able to do WG loads. Admittedly though, we have seriously considered when its time to replace our truck the possibility of going into a new dry unit as a surface expedite truck. We've heard they do well and get to enjoy their pet to!:)

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hawk, I once saw a guy that had 2 ferrets in his truck. Trust me, you don't want your truck to smell like that.