does size matter ?

jimare

Seasoned Expediter
Hi Guy's, Went today and looked at and 2001 E350 Mid. Size almost 10' from back seat to back door, it only had 50,000 miles and looked great. Here's my question how much frieght whould you lose by not having and Super Ext. Van ? How often do you haul three pallets?
Thanks in advance
Gizmo

guido4475

Not a Member
I tink it is all about personal preference.I went witht the super-duty extended because I wanted a separate, sealed sleeper from the cargo area.I often wondered how many times the Sprinter guys hauled 3 skids to justify it. I think sometimes we and the carriers lose the meaning of expedited van freight by seeing just how much weight and freight we can cram into a van.I think expedited freight is turning into LTL freight, by the way rates are and the amount they want us to carry.But getting back to your question, I would go for the longest E-350 you can get. It is kinda like building a storage shed.Always build bigger than you intend to because eventually it will get filled up.Better to have too much space than not enough. Check out Jumbo car and truck sales in Hollywood, Fla as well as Ryder used trucks.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Most expedited loads are 1 or 2 skids, or more than 4. There are some 3 skid loads, and generally speaking the more you can haul the more better. I started out in that van (well, not that particular one, but one like it, well, you know) and I moved to a Sprinter. But in the Sprinter I can haul 2 skids, 9 feet of cargo, as I have a permanent bunk. Being able to sleep while loaded outweighs the ability to haul those 3 skid loads every now and then. I had too many Friday pickups for Monday delivery in that Ford, and had nowhere to sleep for 3 nights at a time.

guido4475

Not a Member
Most expedited loads are 1 or 2 skids, or more than 4. There are some 3 skid loads, and generally speaking the more you can haul the more better. I started out in that van (well, not that particular one, but one like it, well, you know) and I moved to a Sprinter. But in the Sprinter I can haul 2 skids, 9 feet of cargo, as I have a permanent bunk. Being able to sleep while loaded outweighs the ability to haul those 3 skid loads every now and then. I had too many Friday pickups for Monday delivery in that Ford, and had nowhere to sleep for 3 nights at a time.

That is so true. Having a built-in sleeper guarantees you will have a place to sleep while loaded, and it keeps the driving area much more warmer/cooler as well.Another benefit is that you will not be able to smell stinky freight as bad, either.This is what I was thinking when I built my sleeper in the van. Not very big, but it is warm and comfy.And it is always there, no matter loaded or not.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Ahh you might want to talkto whatever carrier you are thinking abiut leasing with....a 2001 van just might not cut it with most carriers.....

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
I think it's when you go with a 3/4 ton that you have to start being extra careful about length verses weight. With the one ton you have the weight capacity to go as long as you can.

eb

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Yup bigger is better especially if you want sleep area. Making a small bunk up front and utilizing as light materials as you can will ensure good cargo space and load capacity. Not all skids are 4ft long (some have over hanging goodies) so extra cargo length matters. 2 skids is normal for vans but I've had 3 skids or long pieces quite a bit over the last 9 years.
Rob

guido4475

Not a Member
Ahh you might want to talkto whatever carrier you are thinking abiut leasing with....a 2001 van just might not cut it with most carriers.....

That is a very strong and good point to make.Even though I wanted the 7.3 diesel, and knew they stopped offering them in 2003, I went with it anyway.There has been a little negative feedback from prospective carriers on the year of the van.But my feelings are as long as it is properly maintained and kept up meticulously as well as looking good the age should not be an issue.The carrier I am with does not have an age restriction.Yet.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
EXTENDED....as i said in the other thread with 2 skids in back you still have 27" behind the seats to sleep. also one skid can go on the very back and you still get space to sleep the long way waiting for the customer to open. i got pix here already posted.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I will repeat this advice - TAKE NOTE.

Get the largest van that can carry the most weight.

It will not limit you in any way and may only cost you pennies in the long run in comparison to a smaller lighter van.