Do You Use Facebook?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
This started out as a reply in another thread, but as I began to write, it became something else. So I leave it here for your consideration and random pondering.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, as the case may be), I don't do Facebook. Their (Mark Zuckerberg's) position on privacy and security is obscene. Zuckerberg's stated goal is to live in a world where everything anyone does on the Internet is shared with his company. They are obsessed with tracking cookies. If you delete all of your cookies and then visit a Facebook page, or even a Web page that's linked to a Facebook page, you'll get a minimum of six Facebook cookies. If you delete those cookies and leave the Facebook page, they're kind enough to give you one cookie to go, so you'll always have one with you. If you delete that one, they know, and they'll give you another one at the first opportunity. Every time you visit EO, for example, Facebook knows.

Inadvertently sharing private information with other members or the public is another issue. But what does stick out in this regard is that the frequent changes to the Facebook interface are (or at least certainly seem to be) designed to catch users off guard. Only the more technically savvy are able to protect themselves. It should be noted that the coders who write this software are among the world’s best. Whatever the software does is because of what it was intended and directed to do, not because of errors or lack of skill – despite Facebook’s protestations to the contrary.

The amount of data they are collecting on the more than one billion users, and those who don't use Facebook, is staggering. Facebook gets their input from the people themselves as well as “friends”, vendors, and miscellaneous other sources, and the online tracking of those individuals is a significant commercial enterprise. The volume and depth of the material collected is quite considerable. For example, one 24 year-old Austrian on Facebook was able to get some of the information that was kept about him. He received a CD filled with 1,222 PDF pages of data. The filelog included deleted private messages, deleted pokes, deleted relationships statuses, deleted friends, applications that his friends use, old chat conversations, past GPS coordinates, and more.

All this data on more than a billion people is correlated, and forms an immense database. It is, in fact, the largest and most detailed database of people and their interrelations with each other ever compiled. Not only that, but that very detailed database is available to one particular government, who is here, of course, to help you.

I'm not sure how wise it is to acquiesce, throw your hands up and say, "Well, we don't have any privacy anymore, anyway."

In 2012 Facebook had revenues in the $6 billion range. The quality of their product is high and worth a good price. Users, and others, have given Facebook $6 billion worth of their private intellectual property, for free. The fact that this database of personal information is the largest and most detailed ever collected in the history of mankind is worrisome. One can form all kinds of ideas about the evil lurking in this scheme, but the reality is that because of it’s value, we cannot be sure that it will not fall into the wrong hands at some point in the future. History shows that it will, and that it won't be used in the best interest of the public.

But even more basic about the use of Facebook is how we think about ourselves. Facebook is, largely, nothing more than chasing a carrot that never satisfies the appetite. Social Media, Facebook in particular, becomes the means to look outside ourselves to prove our worth, to prove we exist, to prove we matter. It's a means, but, really, towards what?

People use Facebook to prove they matter, in fine self-focused fashion, as Emerson once said, we create our own sunshine and thus have greater shadows. What do you do when you don’t have responses from others? Do you worry that suddenly something is wrong? That no one likes you? “I haven’t heard back from them for 3 hours! OMG!” Do we think about ourselves more now with social media? Is our self-worth tied to "Likes"?

The allure of social media, and Facebook, becomes what grabs, the quick image, and what ‘feels right.’ An overindulgence in social media without an accompanying pursuit of intellect is dangerous. We lose our ability to reason, we develop an intuitive theology/philosophy of life, and transcendent values and beliefs can be quickly discarded. And we wouldn’t even know it. Or why it is bad.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Facebook is just dang scary. I personally can't believe how many people are just all too willing to use it, and not realize or understand the implications of their loss of privacy.

Yesterday, I really really wanted to make my long-winded post here on EO... I had it all typed, as shortened as I possibly could.. and I really wanted some feedback from you guys. Then I realized that once I posted it on here, it was loose and free, and from here, anyone can 'share' it alllllll over the net. So ... I couldnt' post it, since I didn't want perhaps customers finding it, and seeing my thoughts, perhaps even about THEM. I can't be the only one on EO who hesitates to post because of this? I would think it would be a real block to actually getting some good and real and true conversation flowing about certain subjects.

Recently I looked up on the net an individual that I know.. typed in his name into google.. and there before me were pages of 'likes' on facebook. I can see all of the things that he recently 'liked'.. it's sickening.. he probably has NO idea that all of this information is public to anyone and everyone who might take the time to type in his name on Google. A quick look through these 'likes' tells me a lot of things about his views on certain subjects. That's great to have views, but do you really want *everyone* in the world to know your views on certain things? That can really turn around to bite you in the butt! Some things are better left 'private'!

Anyone can do a search like that.. where I work, we do it all the time. Potential employees, potential contractors, potential customers, potential tenants. We find out allllllll kinds of things about people. Decisions are made sometimes, at least in part, based on what we see or don't see. These people would never know that what we saw or didn't see may have had a bearing on anything to do with us.

One time when I owned a cafe, I was paranoid at the time about different things, competitor wise, rightly or wrongly. I got an email from a woman who wanted pricing on a custom order for a wedding. I looked up what very little information I had about her. I didn't even have her 'real name', and in fact, that is what made me suspicious to begin with, because she was asking ME to spend times developing piles of information for her, when she couldnt' even give me her real name or phone number, etc. I didn't feel like spending a lot of time researching costs and preparing a quote, if it was only a competitor making it easy for himself to change a few facts and send MY proposal to one of his *real* customers.

I found SO much information on that poor bride-to-be. I knew what kind of wedding dresses she liked, how much she was spending on it, where her wedding was going to be held, her menu, when it was going to be held, and also that she was very overweight. Disgusting. This information was obtainable just by merely looking her up on the net, because she was a participant on a forum which was not private (kind of like this one).

Call me crazy, but I can *feel* it when little droplets are placed on my computer when I go to certain sites.. it creates lag for me, perhaps because my computer is older and I don't have enough ram, I'm not intelligent enough in these matters to know exactly what's happening or how to prevent it, but I know it's there. It really sickens me. I imagine that these little droppings left on my computer, and everyone else's computer, are being picked up by other sites. All so very interesting for them, all for the sake of trying to make a buck.

The other day, a girl on a forum I visit was very upset because of what happened when she had written a private email to a company. The company in turn, placed in on their website under their Q&A section... from there, it went to the company's FB page.. from there, many of their followers saw it, and reposted it to Tumblr (whatever that is).. from there.. it went onto some group, where the members are discussing what this girl said.. the girl's full 'real name' was used in the original email, and so it was included everywhere. She is now all over the net on all kinds of venues, and extremely disturbed, feeling that it is causing problems for her family for the world to know personal details of her life that happened to be included in that private email. It's sure a scary world out there now, at least it is to me!

I'm just SO not getting how FB was able to lure allllllllllllll of these billions of people to share so much of themselves for the world to see... I have to agree, it's got to be so that people can receive validation.. praise that they took that shower when they did, or shared that funny little picture with all of their 'friends'.

And about the 'friends'... people have so many 'friends' on there, that aren't friends at all, and in fact are sometimes enemies, that they can't even post what they REALLY want to post, because it's going to be visible to their enemies.. so really.. what good is it even as a way to communicate with your real friends?

I can't change the world, I'm not 'getting it', and I try to teach my younger boys to at least consider privacy issues and think about possible implications.. my older kids (who are old enough to understand the real implications), I can't teach any more, and they're liking the FB thing.

Anyway, back to my immediate issue.. is there some kind of private place on EO where people CAN'T just press the 'share' button to make someone's EO post go all over the world?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I do not use FB and now Mrs. Layoutshooter has dumped her account. I see no need to be on FB and subject myself to their snooping.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Not a fan of FB or Twitter. All of these sites are interconnected or soon will be. Not sure one can dodge all of it because of that. Not sure what the answer would be short of not using the Internet. As for what to put in a article or post, just use your best judgement or write it out using fictitious names or hypothetical set of circumstances.

Monty

Expert Expediter
One small solution is this program: Do Not track Me. https://www.abine.com/dntdetail.php

It helps to stop the tracking. My "score" right now is ...
Congratulations! You've earned
Gold medal!

10,000 tracking attempts blocked

And yes, I do use FB, at my stage in life I really don't give a rat's rear end if folks know what I am doing ..... matter of fact I hope it confuses the heck out of them! ;)

But the theory is right, I don't know if OnTimeMedia uses the gold mining aspect of this site or not, (however I do have a zero indicator from Abine on this site), but while at TruckNet, I fully suggested it to Craig. (He never did implement it). That data is valuable to advertisers such as Pilot, Kenworth, etc.

As such, it is worth money to these folks at OnTime also.

Monty

Expert Expediter
Interesting follow up .... I just noticed I do indeed have two folks tracking me here ... FaceBook, of course, and Google Analytics. Both were blocked by the program.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Interesting follow up .... I just noticed I do indeed have two folks tracking me here ... FaceBook, of course, and Google Analytics. Both were blocked by the program.

Funny you should mention google. I use Chrome, and think it's garbage, not to mention intrusive.

I just installed that program you posted, and refreshed this page. Bingo!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The "Like" button. We all like the ""Like" button. What do all these "Likes" mean, anyway? What is it, exactly?

Like.png

"they are just a way to show that someone likes what you say, or agrees with it. just a fun thing to do. kind of like facebook. its just fun to do. when people like my posts it makes me feel good..."

The above quote, in all of its Internet grammatical glory, is the prevailing attitude of Facebook and of the Like button.

But every time you press the Like button, anywhere, Facebook knows. All those "likes" go into The Database.

They are used, along with tracking data and other information about your surfing and viewing habits to tailor the information you are fed. Automated book recommendations, for example, or selecting the most relevant news stories for your news feed. These are tailored to your interests because that's what makes money. Never mind that fact that when you're fed a steady diet of what you are already interested in (preaching to the choir) you aren't likely to learn much. But educating you isn't the goal. Making money is.

Sexuality, political leanings and even intelligence can be gleaned from the things you choose to "like" on Facebook, a study by researchers at Cambridge University shows.

Researchers used algorithms to predict religion, politics, race and sexual orientation, and much more.

The research, published in the journal PNAS, (Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America) forms disturbingly surprisingly accurate personal portraits. The findings should "ring alarm bells" for most users.

The study used 58,000 volunteers who alongside their Facebook "likes" and demographic information also provided psychometric testing results - designed to highlight personality traits. The Facebook likes were fed into algorithms and matched with the information from the personality tests.

The algorithms proved 88% accurate for determining male sexuality, 95% accurate in distinguishing African-American from Caucasian-American and 85% for differentiating Republican from Democrat.

Keep in mind that this information was gleaned solely from "likes."

Christians and Muslims were correctly classified in 82% of cases, and relationship status and substance abuse was predicted with an accuracy between 65% and 73%.

The links clicked rarely explicitly revealed these attributes. Fewer than 5% of gay users clicked obvious likes such as gay marriage, for instance.

Instead, the algorithms aggregated huge amounts of likes such as music and TV shows to create personal profiles.

It also threw up some strange pairings. Like, curly fries correlated with high intelligence, and people who liked the Dark Knight tended to have fewer Facebook friends. But that's precisely the kind of data that advertisers, and some government, find priceless.

The research should ring alarm bells for anyone who thinks that privacy settings are the solution to protecting information online. People need to fundamentally re-think how much data they are voluntarily sharing, not to mention involuntarily sharing.

Individual likes or pages might not seem hugely intrusive, but it allows individuals to be categorized and behavior predicted in areas that are far more personal and sensitive than people realize.

It is clear the lack of transparency about how users' data is being used will lead to entirely justified fears about our data being exploited for commercial gain and other more sinister purposes.

Personally, I have a want, need and desire for a "Dislike" button, as well, but that's another issue, and it would only allow them to more accurately categorize me and predict my wants, needs and desires.

So, in lieu of a "Dislike" button, I offer this button to Facebook...

like_zpsce3ddd0d.jpg

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Even EO has a "like" button... ;)
Do ya think only FB is watching us? The whole internet, all these smart phones are a source to watch us.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Even EO has a "like" button... ;)
Yeah, and it belongs to Facebook. [SUB]
fb_like_hand42x32.png

[/SUB]
Do ya think only FB is watching us? The whole internet, all these smart phones are a source to watch us.
Facebook, Google, lots of them are watching, and tracking. As bad as Google is, though, it doesn't hold a candle to Facebook, simply because of Facebook's stated goals and the way they go about achieving them.

Monty

Expert Expediter
The algorithms proved 88% accurate for determining male sexuality, 95% accurate in distinguishing African-American from Caucasian-American and 85% for differentiating Republican from Democrat.

Why should they have to gold mine it?

Monty, are you white? Yes

Monty, are you Republican? Yes.

Isn't that a simpler approach? I am also not Muslim, and some might say I am not Christian either.

I would think that my "likes" of a Peterbilt vs a Freightliner might be better information, but they didn't ask me that either ....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
who really cares?......I don't.....I have never had an expectation of privacy from the internet...you are fooling yourself if you do...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You may not care, and that's fine, but a lot of people do care. People used to have an expectation of privacy on the Internet, and they actually had it. Then, those who found out you can make money by invading privacy, and most governments, ruined it. If you know the steps to take, you can still protect your privacy on the Internet, but it's a lot of work and it ain't easy.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
People should be concerned about the lack of privacy, both on the internet and in ever day life. They should be concerned whether the intrusions are from industry looking to make money, or government seeking to find who knows what or for what reasons. The more privacy we give up the less freedoms we will have. One should always remain, "Vigilant Always".

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
There have always been hackers...

Cookies have been like forever....it is just getting a level deeper...
every time one scans a discount card at a retailer info is gathered....
info gathering is everywhere....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There have always been hackers...

Cookies have been like forever....it is just getting a level deeper...
every time one scans a discount card at a retailer info is gathered....
info gathering is everywhere....

Correct, and every time the info gathering gets deeper it gets more dangerous.