Do you use a Fuel Supplement

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i have use ace's 2 sents 2003 good to19 below, also if you need it for 30/ below or low can be got
1 gal treat's 2000 gal's of fuel
send pm will give you more info on it

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Ive run up North quite a bit and in the winter I like to use the Power Service or Lucas Anti Gel fuel treatment to help winterize my fuel, Id rather add some and be safe then have a sudden dip hit and catch you then your down, but like most In extreme cold I keep that engine running also, its better to be safe then sorry and trust whats in some fuel tank winterized or summer blend.....larger truck stops are going to turn over the fuel quickly, its the rural spots you have to be careful, Ive always bought my fuel treatments at Rural King or Oreilly Auto Parts, but most Bucheit, Tractor Supply, Farm and Home will have it cheaper then truck stops.

Lucas Extreme Cold Temperature Fuel Treatment with New Lucas Anti-Gel was developed to eliminate fuel gelling problems in the most extreme conditions. It contains all the important additives of our regular fuel treatment to increase fuel mileage and performance.
Key Benefits

Prevents fuel thickening
Lubricates fuel for increased MPG
One half gallon treats 250 gallons of fuel

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The original poster was concerned with diesel fuel.

Alcohol absorbs water and is carried through the fuel system and is burned in the combustion process. That is why it is a major ingredient in winter fuel additives for gas engines and is also the main component of air-line antifreeze. Heet™ is one such product for gasoline engines. I find that with the proliferation of E-10 gasoline, additives to remove moisture are unnecessary and a waste of money.

Do the drivers just carry these smaller bottles of Lucas around with them? Do they use the Lucas only when a problem arises or is it added at every fill?

A guy that serviced my Honda gen said the same thing...he showed me air bubbles on the inside of the carb cup ..said that was condensation aka water...he advised to use some E10 fuel once in a while to get rid of it....

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ken, do you usually burn premium gas in your Honda? I have an 8 year old Honda lawn mower and use only regular E-10 gas and have never had a problem. Runs great and starts with the first pull.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ken, do you usually burn premium gas in your Honda? I have an 8 year old Honda lawn mower and use only regular E-10 gas and have never had a problem. Runs great and starts with the first pull.

Nope just regular 87....I had dirt in the carb that is why he showed me the air bubbles whilst he had it apart....gave me a lesson on how to drain the cup without taking it all apart...it has a drain plug!! Well DOH me....LOL

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Does Honda recommend using alcohol free gasoline?

No more then 10% E fuel...
Got my new Honda at that new Farm and Fleet in Rochester Mn..your neck of the woods......that store was huge!! and some great prices as well....

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
We use Howes Meaner Cleaner and in the winter we use Howes Diesel Treat. Never had any fuel problems.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I had one problem with the fuel gelling [and one very knowledgeable driver named gotta go who kept me going until it was resolved without missing the pickup I was enroute to when it started :)] which is when I learned that biodiesel gells at a higher temp than regular diesel, and both Il & In blend more bio into their diesel.
I've been careful about watching the bio % since, and always use antigel in winter, and keep 2 spare fuel filters on hand, just in case.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I stick with what has worked for me so far. No fuel additive at all. Never had a gelling problem yet, and I drove in temperatures down to -5 if I remember right. Now, if I have to go lower than that, I will add something. Have 450000 miles on my Sprinter.

Now, for improving the lubricity of Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel, the best additive is a little Bio Diesel. I use it as often as I can find it.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
I found a good price on fuel additives today. $13.99 for the large bottle of Power Service, and 12.99 for Howe's Meaner Power Cleaner at Theisen's in Coralville, IA. Theisen's is a farm and fleet type place just west of the Walmart.

eb