Do cargo vans even have any sort of future in expediting?

Krig

Rookie Expediter
Given what we're seeing currently, where do you see cargo vans 5 years from now? Where do you see them 10 years from now?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Soon you will see my van up on blocks in the front yard, right next to the old refrigerator. One more thing for the neighbor kids to play in.

guido4475

Not a Member
It is over-saturated right now, the van industry,and will get worse as time goes on, given the new DOT/physical qualifications that many truckdrivers will not be able to meet, and go to vanning as a way to go around those qualifications, signing on with companies that do not require a CDL.I truly think team straight trucks are on the rise, and will be the only thing left in that segment of OTR expediting, along with vans. Solos, I think, in a straight truck, will be on the way out as it will be too costly and time-consuming for dispatchers to manage drivers available HOS and custom- fit loads to that.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As long as there is 3 skid and less freight, there will be a need for cargo vans. Most shippers aren't willing to pay for a larger vehicle if it isn't needed. Of course if T/T and straight truck O/Os are willing to haul small shipments at cargo van rates then there will be no need for vans.

When I was with Con-Way Now there were 5 truck categories and 5 corresponding rates; A, B, C, D and E. An A unit was called a cargo wagon. Although Con-Way Now had no A units in the fleet or at least none that I ever saw, there was an A rate. I sometimes hauled A loads at those rates. If and when the cargo van disappears, trucks will haul small loads at reduced rates.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One skid at 1,000 lbs, going 300 miles. You can put that in a van and pay van rates. The van isn't going to disappear soon, simply because small loads aren't going to disappear soon.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
But s/t's take those loads all the time. Idk about all the van love. It would my suprise me if all the majors dump vans in a few years. I think FDCC is phasing them out now.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
When trucks are replaced by robot road trains, there will still be vans driven by human drivers for the odd jobs. They might not be American drivers, but they will be humans.

eb

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
But s/t's take those loads all the time. Idk about all the van love. It would my suprise me if all the majors dump vans in a few years. I think FDCC is phasing them out now.

As long as manufacturers can save money hiring a van they will exist.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Soon you will see my van up on blocks in the front yard, right next to the old refrigerator. One more thing for the neighbor kids to play in.

My van will probably end up on blocks, and I will be living in it.

eb

09-1970-Ford-Econoline-Van-Down-On-The-Junkyard-Picture-courtesy-of-Murilee-Martin-450x3371.jpg

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Solos, I think, in a straight truck, will be on the way out as it will be too costly and time-consuming for dispatchers to manage drivers available HOS and custom- fit loads to that.
I don't think I've ever dealt with a carrier or broker who even has a little bit of knowledge as to what hos even means! Then again I don't drive for many on the ball people who could even speak English!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I prefer FECC. The FE for FedEx and the CC for Custom Critical. Also because, FE is pronounced "feeee" and a pair of C's are pronounced like seas, "seees". Put them together.

It used to be just a cheap shot, but now it's becoming more and more an apt description. :D

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Pretty rough on an outfit where two people just posted they are having their best month ever .