Do cargo vans even have any sort of future in expediting?

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I'm not a fan of straights taking a van load when I'm at the same truckstop as the ST. But it is what it is

When Sprinters run for what CVs run for, CVs lose. Shippers are probably saying, "might as well send me a Sprinter". And CVs run less than they used to run for.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I imagine many shippers will kick in a few extra duckies for the flexibility of "near-DH" or the ability for the load to grow. Especially those loads that are "pick at xx:xx and we'll load as much as we can make on your truck".

guido4475

Not a Member
I'm not a fan of straights taking a van load when I'm at the same truckstop as the ST. But it is what it is

Although it does happen, I think as time goes on, the hours of service regulations on solo straights will Limit this. Basically, I think vans/sprinters will be in much higher demand as time goes on with no HOS regulations to hold them back. So far.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Great thread here... When you say van I think Sprinter. Right now unfortunately I have not got any type of demand for a Sprinter over a van. It is rare where a load comes in over 52" and then you probably have 10 other sprinters sitting right in the 20 mile radius that are willing to work for less.

Two opposite conflicting opinions here:

"Although it does happen, I think as time goes on, the hours of service regulations on solo straights will Limit this. Basically, I think vans/sprinters will be in much higher demand as time goes on with no HOS regulations to hold them back. So far."

"But s/t's take those loads all the time. Idk about all the van love. It would my suprise me if all the majors dump vans in a few years. I think FDCC is phasing them out now."

Not feeling good with running solo straight. That was my plan but unless you have paper logs I don't think it's possible? I met a guy in Laredo once that said he can go 800-900 miles a day in a solo straight.

rollincoal

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've done enough $4-$5 a mile on 400-500 miles straight thru in a 53' dry van hauling one little pallet or less to know they can't always find a cargo van when they need one for whatever reason. Those loads don't happen all the time but when they do :) the solo operator in any segment is not going away ever. In truckload longhaul is the pits anyways until it's time critical. Companies that don't want to bother with solo's or don't have their **** together well maybe that is the future lol.

Sent from my C811 4G using EO Forums mobile app

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Great thread here... When you say van I think Sprinter. Right now unfortunately I have not got any type of demand for a Sprinter over a van. It is rare where a load comes in over 52" and then you probably have 10 other sprinters sitting right in the 20 mile radius that are willing to work for less.

Two opposite conflicting opinions here:

"Although it does happen, I think as time goes on, the hours of service regulations on solo straights will Limit this. Basically, I think vans/sprinters will be in much higher demand as time goes on with no HOS regulations to hold them back. So far."

"But s/t's take those loads all the time. Idk about all the van love. It would my suprise me if all the majors dump vans in a few years. I think FDCC is phasing them out now."

Not feeling good with running solo straight. That was my plan but unless you have paper logs I don't think it's possible? I met a guy in Laredo once that said he can go 800-900 miles a day in a solo straight.

I think paper logs are done. I mean companies still use them but isn't there a date already set where electronic logs will be required? Also, larger companies like FDCC will only give you 550 miles/day regardless of how many you can travel. I think as the hos gets more strict that will be more common. Running renegade is getting harder and harder as time goes on. That may be the only reason vans hang on, but other than that if a load had to move and a s/t or a tractor team can move it the van may be outta luck.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Although it does happen, I think as time goes on, the hours of service regulations on solo straights will Limit this. Basically, I think vans/sprinters will be in much higher demand as time goes on with no HOS regulations to hold them back. So far.

I think that's wishful thinking.
In expedite, solo straights will always be needed, because teams don't want the shorter runs that customers need covered. Can't blame them - why tie yourself up and miss a much longer load?
Customers need the capacity for larger/heavier freight, but straights can't afford to wait as long as vans without a load, ergo, the straights need fairly steady work, or they are out of business.
I think the customers understand the reality of that: if they want truck capacity, they need to provide truck revenue. They need us [including solos] and we need them, and I can't see that changing, no matter how the HOS get jiggered. And it will. Again.

guido4475

Not a Member
Wishful thinking I think not. Just common sense. Think about it. You just got done doing a load that took 8 hours from you're available hours..the clock is ticking...the one you can't stop...and than, they call you with another run that is going to take at least 6 hours...what are you going to do?...or what are they going to do?, the company? or shipper?... I think also that a company is going to move their freight as cheaply as they can. Sometimes their freight cannot wait for a half hour break. Or a dot inspection. Or an open dock. Or a 35 minute fuel stop. Vans are naturally faster in all aspects.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Solo straights have been on the way out for 10 years now , and vans have been on life support for at least that long. According to straight trick teams and tractor drivers, anyway.

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
Wishful thinking I think not. Just common sense. Think about it. You just got done doing a load that took 8 hours from you're available hours..the clock is ticking...the one you can't stop...and than, they call you with another run that is going to take at least 6 hours...what are you going to do?...or what are they going to do?, the company? or shipper?... I think also that a company is going to move their freight as cheaply as they can. Sometimes their freight cannot wait for a half hour break. Or a dot inspection. Or an open dock. Or a 35 minute fuel stop. Vans are naturally faster in all aspects.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

The fact that you van guys fly under the radar like you do I think will keep you valuable.

But it might just be that I notice more since I've been hanging around this forum, but aren't there an awful lot of vans out there? I pull into a truck stop there's a few out front. I stop at Home Depot or Walmart and there's always a couple. Might just be that I'm more tuned in now but I see quite a few vans just sitting.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I pull into a truck stop there's a few out front. I stop at Home Depot or Walmart and there's always a couple. Might just be that I'm more tuned in now but I see quite a few vans just sitting.
When you pull into a truck stop do you see any trucks sitting? When you pull into a Home Depot or Walmart do you see any trucks sitting. I'll admit there are a lot of vans out here and we do sit. I am currently sitting at a Walmart in Ankeny, Iowa. In my little corner of heaven there are 3 T/Ts, 1 bobtail and me in my lowly van.

You are not the first person on here to mention seeing vans sitting at a truck stop. Van park out front in plain sight and usually somewhat grouped together. Next truck stop visit count all the vans and then do a complete tour of the truck lot and report your findings.

BAN THE VAN.

guido4475

Not a Member
Solo straights have been on the way out for 10 years now , and vans have been on life support for at least that long. According to straight trick teams and tractor drivers, anyway.

I think as time goes on, the vans will become regulated, eventually. When, we don't know, but something tells me it's going to be sooner than we may think. Solo straights? Maybe good for local p/u and del, state-wide runs, but I think teams are going to be the way of the future, in expediting, both in semi's and straights. Dispatchers really do not have the time, or companies do not have the money or resources to be baby-sitting a solo drivers available hours of service and still do their jobs effectively. Dispatchers trying to custom-tailor loads to solo's will come with a price, less productivity, IMO...

guido4475

Not a Member
The fact that you van guys fly under the radar like you do I think will keep you valuable.

But it might just be that I notice more since I've been hanging around this forum, but aren't there an awful lot of vans out there? I pull into a truck stop there's a few out front. I stop at Home Depot or Walmart and there's always a couple. Might just be that I'm more tuned in now but I see quite a few vans just sitting.

Years ago, since 89, I drove truck and always said, "Why would anyone want to drive something that limits themselves to so little freight?"....But, as the years went on, I started looking at vans in a different light. The hardest thing I had to get used to, was the sitting. But, after the first year, in a van at my current carrier, have I never kept so much of the money that I made. I grossed more in a straight,some years, but never kept as much as I do now. I think that is a huge part of survival in this business- being able to keep as much as you can. It's not really about how big the vehicle is you drive, as some may think, and this does come with swallowing you're pride in going from a big truck to a van, but the freedom and what we keep is so much more worth than any amount of pride in my book.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes big trucks have more load ops....But they have to work longer and drive more....

a straight and a van both run equal miles say 100,000 ....the straight loses......on the costs issue.
There is no way AFTER costs IF a straight makes say $1.70 a mile compared to our $1.20...a straight running the same miles as a van is a snoozer....

Krig

Rookie Expediter
So, in general, do people feel the advantages of vans over straight trucks will increase or decrease through the next ten years?

If there is a decline or erosion, would there be any way to stop or prevent it?

Tim Xpedites

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
So, in general, do people feel the advantages of vans over straight trucks will increase or decrease through the next ten years?

seems to me just like with UPS or FedEx there's always going to be some kind of an expedited overnight emergency shipment for small packaging my friend but that's just my opinion I'm no career expeditor tho.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Unless the goobermint sticks their big nose in again and mixes up the pot again...I don't for see any big changes....IMO