Do cargo vans even have any sort of future in expediting?

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Steady paycheck, health insurance, steady hours, my own bed at night, no more truck stop diners, no more truck stop showers, no more **** jugs and someone else to blame if I'm mad or upset? Yes I'll trade the freedom in for that lol

I did that a few years ago, now look where I am.

Tim Xpedites

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Steady paycheck, health insurance, steady hours, my own bed at night, no more truck stop diners, no more truck stop showers, no more **** jugs and someone else to blame if I'm mad or upset? Yes I'll trade the freedom in for that lol

I'm doing that now friend & I want/need out in the worse way. I'm now in process of buying a van & joining yall here real soon. Time to fulfill my destiny!! haha, all jokin' aside being home every night is awesome, seein my family is fantastic but bringing the struggles, stresses, anger over the idiotic people I have to FACE & work side by side w/ on a daily basis is not what I want/need for my family nor my health. Yes this path will keep me from my family but it will keep me in a more positive place so far as mentally & emotionally speaking of whom I work next to or take orders from. Micromanaging at its worse from a father daughter company puts a man at his boiling point!

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Unfortunately you're trading one set of stresses for another.
If you make any money at all, have any type of benefits, don't burn your bridges.
It's nice out here. Even fun at times. It's not Nirvana.

Good Luck.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If you think you're dealing with idiotic people now, boy are you in for a surprise.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
A neighbor ran a Chrysler Dealership in a small town.
He would NOT hire a salesperson unless their spouse was gainfully employed.
With the irregular income that was his best chance of having people stay.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
yes sir she is.
You needn't call me sir, Moot will do fine. Having a spouse with a full time job and hopefully medical benefits that cover you and your daughter are a great advantage for you starting out in expediting.

Tim Xpedites

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
You needn't call me sir, Moot will do fine.

Moot it tis! I have very limited medical where I work now until this happens, but as I say it is VERY limited. So yes, the wifey workin' definitely helps a tad bit.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Just my 2 cents here. I work in LTL freight for 14 years. Ive done expediting for about 9 months until I was force out, had a wreck and out of work for two months. I went back to LTL and my parents told me that its going to be hard going back to work for someone else. I told them im use to the LTL side of things, ill be just fine.

Boy was I so wrong! It was hard going to work everyday knowing that and hearing someone barking at you and needing you to do something faster and always on you from the time you clock til the time you leave. Well after 7 months of it, I had enough and said no more. Theres nothing like being your own boss, but like everyone else says, there is a price to pay for it.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Theres nothing like being your own boss, but like everyone else says, there is a price to pay for it.
As the saying goes, freedom isn't free. As an O/O you are exposed to more financial risk but for me it is worth it. I could never go back to a real job.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I had a friend walk out of Panther orientation about 7 years before I even considered expediting.,

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes big trucks have more load ops....But they have to work longer and drive more....

a straight and a van both run equal miles say 100,000 ....the straight loses......on the costs issue.
There is no way AFTER costs IF a straight makes say $1.70 a mile compared to our $1.20...a straight running the same miles as a van is a snoozer....

$1.20 a mile who are you running for Ceva? ;)

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
get edumacated and sit in an office and complain about rates still....LOL....not much changes....

Just think at present YOU are the boss, a CEO, a president of operations....you'd give that up freedom for a cubical in the back room somewhere?.....

Down south they call it a "Transportation Executive" :)

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Virtually "free from DOT" is a luxury.
Luxuries and freedoms come at a cost.
Whether it's monetary or otherwise.
The team straight with the WRONG carrier can very well be envious of the income generated by the solo vanner with the RIGHT carrier.
All that before my second cup of coffee. :)

Who are the wrong and right carriers?! I know that is a real touchy subject around here. The fed and the cat are two code words. Haven't figured out the one for landstar. Enjoy your coffee!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
There are no limitations for cooking one's self in a van. You want well done, Laredo in August. Slow cook, Kansas City in May. Poached, Savannah in June. See, no limitations.

Except this one: I find it hard to drive while dessicated. ;)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Who are the wrong and right carriers?! I know that is a real touchy subject around here. The fed and the cat are two code words. Haven't figured out the one for landstar. Enjoy your coffee!

Easy peasy: the wrong carrier is the one that makes you mad more than happy, and the right carrier is the one that doesn't.
You notice the commonality: they're both going to make you mad at some point, lol. :p