Disappearing Industry

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Once again the government is out to destroy an industry without even thinking.
If they want to dismantle the coal industry, would it not make sense to say move and train these people in the natural gas industry before wiping out the mining industry?
Ok, no. That might make sense.
Nope, we just lay them off and then wonder where all the jobs went. I would submit that the ones that complain about say, maybe Walmart for example is small by comparison. I would say the government is the biggest job killer of them all.
Here is just another example.

'Not looking good': Coal workers see future dim amid regulation burden | Fox News

People will be delighted when their electric bills start going through the roof because we have to use high price alternatives. Another one where the poor will get hit the hardest.
Oops, wait a minute, maybe not. They will likely get subsidies. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There is at least one coal fired electricity plant in Michigan that is in the process of being shut down. It is in Trenton. Several hundred jobs lost an yet ANOTHER eyesore on the River, land not being used and no one able to reclaim it for another use. Add to that the loss of generation capability, in a area that is already often short on power. That plant is not going to be converted to natural gas, it is not cost effective there. THEN, add in the loss of tax revenue to the city/county and state.

The result of a Marxist in office.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
There is at least one coal fired electricity plant in Michigan that is in the process of being shut down. It is in Trenton. Several hundred jobs lost an yet ANOTHER eyesore on the River, land not being used and no one able to reclaim it for another use. Add to that the loss of generation capability, in a area that is already often short on power. That plant is not going to be converted to natural gas, it is not cost effective there. THEN, add in the loss of tax revenue to the city/county and state.

The result of a Marxist in office.

That is the stupidity in which our government operates and then they wonder where all the jobs are. They will say all the jobs are going overseas, but a closer look starts to look like that may not be the case any longer.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That is the stupidity in which our government operates and then they wonder where all the jobs are. They will say all the jobs are going overseas, but a closer look starts to look like that may not be the case any longer.

There is no incentive to create jobs, taxes are too high, mandated "fringe benefits" are too high and regulations are out of control. As long as this continues, things will continue to slide. Even the jobs that went overseas can be, at least in part, blamed on government. High taxes, mandates etc, contributed to the problem.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This is what happens when you allow dumber than dirt morons to have control.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
because of the costs of actually mining....I read they actually taking the tops off mountains instead...literally strip mining our natural resources...WV will never be the same if that continues...there must be a solution

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

The coal lobby must not be giving as much as the natural gas lobby.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
because of the costs of actually mining....I read they actually taking the tops off mountains instead...literally strip mining our natural resources...WV will never be the same if that continues...there must be a solution

When has that ever been a reason NOT to do something in this country, if you have enough money? Two more examples - corn and shale. In this case, the government CHOSE the loser, as it usually chooses the winner.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

Most of the mining in WV is underground.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Strip mining is nothing new. Been doing it for hundreds of years here, and world wide.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There is a solution and it could offer replacement jobs. It's called nuclear power.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The "new" nuclear power they are working on is even better. It uses liquid salts for coolant and runs at about 1/2 the temp that current plants do. It also does not produce plutonium.

The Energy From Thorium Foundation Thorium and the Liquid-Fluoride Reactor: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle » The Energy From Thorium Foundation

Could show some potential. But of course we need to replace the mining industry with solar.:rolleyes:
We seen how well Solyndra went. Why not double down.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Could show some potential. But of course we need to replace the mining industry with solar.:rolleyes:

IF one wants alternative energy sources to succeed one would have to FIRST end all subsidies and let the industries find a way, on their own, to make it effective and affordable.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Coal is dirty...the technology to clean it up is out there but still needs improvement...acid rain very much exists because of it....I've seen first hand the damage to our forests downwind in Eastern Ontario...

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

Tho the cost of solar is coming down, it's still high. And you need quite a few of those smaller panels to power a house.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Coal is dirty...the technology to clean it up is out there but still needs improvement...acid rain very much exists because of it....I've seen first hand the damage to our forests downwind in Eastern Ontario...

Coal should be used to make diesel. Gas and nukes for electricity. I wonder just how many people can tell if the damage they are seeing to forest is due to acid rain or insect infestations, or both? Right now, insects are doing more damage than acid rain. No one is doing anything to stop the importation of invasive bugs. I guess to a politician, if it is not burning it has nothing to do with the environment. In reality, it is ONLY about the money.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter

There a big debates about that in Kentucky as well because I've seen those "mine". Just take a mountain and make it a hole in the ground. Kentucky has that "friends of coal" license plate. I personally hate coal and wish it could be replaced by nuclear energy. Train those workers and built at locations that have already been mined. Not the best solution but it's a solution