Disappearing Industry

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
It could be. It could also make us wish we were still burning coal. Be EXTRA careful is China and India are working on it, they could care less about the environment.

I don't know about Chinese people but I've known several Indian people and Indian people don't put the same value on life as the western world does.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Coal should be used to make diesel. Gas and nukes for electricity. I wonder just how many people can tell if the damage they are seeing to forest is due to acid rain or insect infestations, or both? Right now, insects are doing more damage than acid rain. No one is doing anything to stop the importation of invasive bugs. I guess to a politician, if it is not burning it has nothing to do with the environment. In reality, it is ONLY about the money.

when the forest/vegetation is all burnt only on the west side...very selective feeding ugs I'd say...Ontario closed down all the coal generators especially that monster on Erie...the forests have healed...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
when the forest/vegetation is all burnt only on the west side...very selective feeding ugs I'd say...Ontario closed down all the coal generators especially that monster on Erie...the forests have healed...

That kind of damage is caused by the West Chicago Demoncrat moth.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If we are to replace coal, then have a viable alternative. We currently don't have one. That is my point. Natural gas is the best bet. Nuclear has potential but will face a lot of headwinds from the EPA. Mainly because of the public perception and what happened in Japan.
Have to remember, we are dealing with that same electorate that voted Obama in.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
If we are to replace coal, then have a viable alternative. We currently don't have one. That is my point. Natural gas is the best bet. Nuclear has potential but will face a lot of headwinds from the EPA. Mainly because of the public perception and what happened in Japan.
Have to remember, we are dealing with that same electorate that voted Obama in.

To me the incident in Japan should improve nuclear energy's public perception. I mean that plant got hit by what 3 natural disasters with a few weeks time and it didn't melt down. I realize other people don't see it that way but I felt it proved how safe it can be.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Obama promised to "fundamentally transform America". Bankrupting and thereby eliminating the coal industry is just an example of him keeping one of his campaign promises. It doesn't matter to him whether or not coal happens to be one of our cheapest and most plentiful natural energy resources.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
Beaming down concentrated energy, through the atmosphere, could have some very bad unwanted "side affects" . I would go VERY slow on that one and do a TON of studies first. It could be a disaster.

This technology will probably advance , regardless of the nation or nations involved. One thought is that the technology could be used for other purposes, perhaps preventing an serious asteroid strike.

jimmy

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This technology will probably advance , regardless of the nation or nations involved. One thought is that the technology could be used for other purposes, perhaps preventing an serious asteroid strike.

jimmy

I know, that does not mean it is safe.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Quite right.

But you are just worried about flocks of migrating ducks flying through a solar powered microwave beam,, LOL .

jimmy

More concerned about possible species that may exist in the atmosphere that we are not year aware of and what the disruption to their environment might do to them and how that could affect us. Also concerned about how it may interfere with, decrease or increase, normal electrical activity in the atmosphere. Also, could concentrated micro-waves HEAT the atmosphere which is what we are TRYING to stop?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I don't know about Chinese people but I've known several Indian people and Indian people don't put the same value on life as the western world does.

I've seen some very sick things, via internet. There was a 2 yr old girl who got run over by a truck in China. The truck kept going. People passed by and did nothing. Another truck ran over her. A bag lady stopped and helped her. She died.

A lot of the videos have a very non-reaction from the crowd. In some cases, the crowd causes it. But I have come to the conclusion that the population of many countries (many Asian, M-Eastern, African, and Central and South American), they do not put much of a value on life. Unfortunately, as our population grows, and our morality slips, we are falling under that umbrella. And who do you blame, when people from those countries are coming here en masse? Mexico is still third world, peeps... and they bring it here, and they are welcome.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Isn't India about the same size as Texas? According to the last article I read on the subject it was going to pass china in population sometime in the near future. Now wether that's changed I have no idea but I do understand that you take a country roughly the size of Texas, stuff a billion people in, little to no natural resources besides spices, only 2 seasons(rain, no rain) and the fact that the British controlled it for a very long time. You have a recipe for a crappy overpopulated place

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Isn't India about the same size as Texas? According to the last article I read on the subject it was going to pass china in population sometime in the near future. Now wether that's changed I have no idea but I do understand that you take a country roughly the size of Texas, stuff a billion people in, little to no natural resources besides spices, only 2 seasons(rain, no rain) and the fact that the British controlled it for a very long time. You have a recipe for a crappy overpopulated place

India has around 1.3 million square miles, Texas are 269,000. NOt even close.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
India is about 6 times the size of Texas, twice the size of Alaska.