Curtain advice please

TeamTLC

Seasoned Expediter
Ok, I've introduced our team in the newbies forum but now down to getting the truck sleeper cozy and ready to go!!
I know I need a kitchen kettle from walmart, baskets to
organize, oust or something like that to get rid of previous
dwindling odors, and let's not forget the potty, but now
I need some ideas about curtains. The ones that came
with the truck were made from the previous owner,
but not much to my liking. There is not really a rod
but just a small slim track.
Any ideas? I read earlier about a shower curtain rod
to keep the main sleeper curtain on? Don't know how
good that would work. I think I'd also
like some type of curtain for the sleeper windows.
I know you folks can be very creative and have a lot of great ideas. Any and all suggestions appreciated!!!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I don't like the curtains that divide the sleeper from the seats - too claustrophobic for me. What I do is buy a pr of semi sheer panels & hang them [sideways] from behind each seat to the centerline of the windshield with Velcro: one pc behind each seat, on each corner post of the windshield, and a small strip at the top center. [There are Velcro packs made for this: one roll is self adhesive, the other is sewn to the fabric] Gotta go/Jeanie uses beach towels the same way, but I like being able to see out, at least a little. The curtains stay anchored behind the seats, so just take 2 secs to put up and take down, and the colors are nice, too. [Dam, but I hate gray!]
I think the sleeper windows will accomodate rods - mine have snap on covers, I just use those. :)

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
That is funny Cheri! I like the Gray because so much goes with it. I have seen some of the sleepers that are done in colors and I wondered how I would coordinate.

We use the truck curtains to keep a smaller area cool in the summer and warm in the summer. Last year we made window shades from a roll of this material from Home Depot and that really helps in the summer to keep the truck cool.

I keep wondering what we would do if we did not have the curtains between the sleeper and the front of the truck. I like the idea of the shower curtain and using a quilt. As team drivers you need something to keep the sun out of the sleeper while trying to sleep and also hold down some of the noise that happens in the front with the CB, phones, and the radio.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
I need some ideas about curtains. The ones that came
with the truck were made from the previous owner,
but not much to my liking.

OMG,that is really weird,fascinating,but weird. Is there any smell involved or has the previous owner been tanned?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
That is funny Cheri! I like the Gray because so much goes with it. I have seen some of the sleepers that are done in colors and I wondered how I would coordinate.

I figure if the colors make me feel happy, that's as coordinated as it gets. :)
PS I don't even care if the sheets & pillowcases match! [Oooh- there's another criteria for driver fatigue, eh?]

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Holy cannoli - a set of cab curtains for the KW costs $275! :eek: I'd rather spend $25 for materials, and use the other $250 on something else, but to each his own, I guess.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
As presented by SAE International and National Renewable Energy Laboratory at the 2008 SAE Commercial Vehicle Engineering Congress & Exhibition, October 2008, Chicago, Illinois: Thermal Load Reduction of Truck Tractor Sleeper Cabins

CONCLUSIONS
Through truck testing and thermal modeling, opportunities to reduce thermal load were identified and quantified. Vehicle testing demonstrated reductions in heating loads from standard configurations (sleeper curtain and window shades) as well as some optional configurations (insulated curtain and window insulation). Vehicle modeling predicted reductions in cooling loads from improved cab insulation and covered windows. The opportunities for thermal load reduction are as follows:

Applying the standard sleeper privacy curtain and shades reduced heating load for the sleeper area by up to 21%. An insulated sleeper curtain further reduced the load to 26% over the base configuration. Covering the windows in the truck cab reduced the heating load by up to 16% over base (in addition to the 21%) and could further reduce heating in the sleeper curtain configurations.

Insulating the truck cab windows also reduced daytime solar temperature gains by up to 8°C (46°F), which reduced predicted cooling load by 34% with the sleeper curtain open. Doubling the insulation alone would reduce the cooling load by about 35% with the sleeper curtain open and a total of 54% with the sleeper curtain closed.

Obviously, if the doors, walls and ceiling of the cab are insulated, better results will be achieved, but adding thermal window coverings alone reduces cooling loads by 34% throughout the cab and sleeper. That's real money. If you use an insulated sleeper curtain in addition to thermal window coverings, the cooling load in the sleeper area is reduced by 54%. That's serious money.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
We bought static window tint from Walmart and put that on our sleeper windows. We also have the snap in covers to help keep out the heat and cold.
Cheri, you wouldn't like it in our truck during the summer. We close off the sleeper and keep the lights off to keep it cool. I'm always thinking "TO the BAT CAVE" LOL

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
OMG,that is really weird,fascinating,but weird. Is there any smell involved or has the previous owner been tanned?

Gee, I think I'd wanna get rid of those curtains too. The Bible says s'ok to make curtains from goats' hair, but nothing about using soylent green wafers. No *wonder* they're not much to your liking!

TeamTLC

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for all the great info and ideas! Gotta look at some
sort of cab curtains too as there are none.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
To cover the windshield and door windows I bought three of the large sunshades from Wally World. Two of them, staggered, cover the windshield. I cut the other one in half and trimmed the halves to fit the door windows. Total cost around $25.

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
To cover the windshield and door windows I bought three of the large sunshades from Wally World. Two of them, staggered, cover the windshield. I cut the other one in half and trimmed the halves to fit the door windows. Total cost around $25.

I found the sunshades at Saginaw 'J' about a month ago for $2 each. I went crazy and cut them to fit each of my sleeper windows, fan opening, and cab windows. I hold them in place with velcro. I've retired the beach towels, but may pull them out again come winter for extra insulation.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Walmart now has some curtains specifically made to block light, sound and help insulate, they are called eclipse curtains. For those making their own cab curtains they might be a great starting point and would work great between the sleeper and cab for allot of people.