Comfort Pro APU BLUES!!!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yep. Everything was dry as well. It seems to happen every 4 to 6 months. Often if we have NOT been using the A/C very much. Layoutshooter

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Wondering if the hoses are the wrong ones. I saw one setup a while ago that used hydraulic hose not refrigerant hose.

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter
The refrigerant has got to be going somewhere ......

Do they put that UV dye in the lines and check it that way ?

Here is the deal about the freon leaks. The freon is leaking through the AC hoses. The leak does not show up with any dye or pressure test because it is such a small leak, it takes a few months before it is noticed. One day you turn the AC on and the unit freezes up. I was having the same problem, I would have to have my comfort Pro AC recharged every 4 months or so. They would check for leaks and never find one. I finally called the shop that installed the APU, I was told that Carrier new about this problem but was turning a blind eye to it. The AC hoses they used would let the freon seep out without any indication of a leak no matter what test was done. Carrier does offer an upgrade hose kit that solves the problem, but they make you pay for the upgrade. The compressor also needs to have a low pressure switch put in it so you don't burn it up because of the lack of freon, Carrier makes you pay for that also. My dealer Bill Moore of TSI Western Star in North Jackson OH. who built my truck, called the carrier rep for the region and got him to replace the hoses with the upgraded hoses on my APU at no charge partly because my APU was still under warranty and parrtly because Bill Moore put up a fight on my behalf. Since I have had the upgraded hoses put on I haven't had any freon lose.

Like I said in the begining and on other posts, Carrier knows about this problem, it is comon with all ProHeat and 5000 series Comfort Pro units. The only fix for it is the upgrade kit. Not all dealers even know about the upgrade hose kit, and Carrier is trying to keep the problem a secret for fear they will have to recall a great deal of APU's if enough people get together and retain a lawyer for a class action suit. Carrier will just deny, deny, deny.

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter
Actually some of those leaks are really hard to find .
you might be better off , educating your self on AC leaks , and do it your self .

you can also suck the truck under water , and ask Scuba to dive in and find where the bubbles come from ...

Moose.

The problem is with the hoses on the units using R22, and you need to be R22 certified to use R22. The newer units use the A34 (Ithink thats right, its 34 anyway). The hoses on the R22 models let the freon seep out with no detection. See above post.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Phone # Please? I have talked with 3 repair places and none of them have heard of the upgrade. I have also asked about changing over to R134A but was told it was not cost effective. Layoutshooter

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter
Phone # Please? I have talked with 3 repair places and none of them have heard of the upgrade. I have also asked about changing over to R134A but was told it was not cost effective. Layoutshooter

You can't use the R134A in the R22 units. Bill moore does the upgrades, he has a price list, TSI is a great place for all body and engine work also. They fabricate a lot of their oun stuff and stand behind what they do, and they don't charge for the so called 'shop supplies" like most other places do.

TSI Westen Star
385 South Bailey Rd.
North Jackson, Ohio 44451
Phone: 800-388-3850
Owner: Bill Moore

Talk to Bill if you can. Give him our names Bob and Donna, they will know who we are. I can't say enough good things about them/

They are open 6 days a week, I think their hours are 8:00am-8;00pm Monday-Friday and 8:00-5:00pm on Saturday.

let me know how you make out.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Thank you SO much for the information. I will talk to them on Monday. I knew you cannot run R-134A in a R-22 system. I was wondering about converting mine over. Jus looking at options. Layoutshooter

Jwhite6900

Seasoned Expediter
I don't know what you guys are doing with your carrier apu's? i have 4125 hrs on mine without a hitch? Cooling power well in a Classic XL it cools to whole cab no sweat no matter how hot it is. As far as belts the goodyear belts are way better the ones from carrier only last about 1000hrs I have about 1500 on the goodyear and only have had to tighten it once. Never had a problem out of mine only the 1000hr oil changes. Some things i have found that do help alot are I use royal purple 10w30 in mine. Cut down quite a bit on vibration and noise runs so smooth now you can't even feel it running. Every 500hrs wash out the filter that will affect the performance especially cooling. I run out west and run a reffer and have never had a problem with the cooling I've been quite pleased will drop temp in the cab very quickly. It has no problem holding the cab temp at 75deg even in phoenix. So can't complain had it about 3 yrs and trouble free other than the belt breaking once for the generator. Would I buy another one absolutely!!!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't know what you guys are doing with your carrier apu's? i have 4125 hrs on mine without a hitch? Cooling power well in a Classic XL it cools to whole cab no sweat no matter how hot it is. As far as belts the goodyear belts are way better the ones from carrier only last about 1000hrs I have about 1500 on the goodyear and only have had to tighten it once. Never had a problem out of mine only the 1000hr oil changes. Some things i have found that do help alot are I use royal purple 10w30 in mine. Cut down quite a bit on vibration and noise runs so smooth now you can't even feel it running. Every 500hrs wash out the filter that will affect the performance especially cooling. I run out west and run a reffer and have never had a problem with the cooling I've been quite pleased will drop temp in the cab very quickly. It has no problem holding the cab temp at 75deg even in phoenix. So can't complain had it about 3 yrs and trouble free other than the belt breaking once for the generator. Would I buy another one absolutely!!!

Part of the problem is the size sleepers, they do not have the guts to handle a 96" sleeper and the cab. Many of the older ones that use R22 leak coolent and have to be re-charged often to the tune of $100 per pop. There are some upgrade hoses that cut down on that. They are not as quiet as some other units either.

Jwhite6900

Seasoned Expediter
Like i said want to see a big improvement in noise go to royal purple oil 10w30 summer 5w30 winter it makes a huge difference. As a matter of fact I use it in my series 60 also huge improvement. A must with the apu wash out the air filter on the HVAC unit!:)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Like i said want to see a big improvement in noise go to royal purple oil 10w30 summer 5w30 winter it makes a huge difference. As a matter of fact I use it in my series 60 also huge improvement. A must with the apu wash out the air filter on the HVAC unit!:)

I will try it. Much of the noise is the crummy muffler.

guido4475

Not a Member
Bill Moore built my truck for me. They are great people to do bisoness with. TSI also installed my Comfort Pro APU, they did a great job and they stand behind the products they sell.
You have a beautiful truck.But I really think the reason for youre great service from them is because you bought the whole truck from them. Of course they will treat you like gold, they want you to keep on coming back.Makes sense.I'm not saying they will give a nontruck purchaser bad service, but think about it.Truck buyers usually have priority at a dealership where they purchased from.

guido4475

Not a Member
Also,When I had my fl-70, I had a powertech 7,500 generator powered by a kubota d-905e 3cyl engine. talk about quiet and smooth and dependable also.Heat came from a diesel-fired heater and a/c came from roof-mounted carrier roughneck 13,000 btu unit.It would freeze me out in laredo.If I mentioned how cold I had the inside of the sleeper at 110 outside,I'd be called a liar. generator was $6,000, a/c was 1,200 installed, and heat was around $1,000. what a great setup. Those 2cyl engines just dont hold up like the 3 cyl does. Blackrock also make a similar generator. Extremely quiet. and a real nice setup.Made in saulk centre, mn.

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter

You have the 6000 series Comfort Pro they have the 1000 hr oil changes. The peoblems are with the older 5000 series which requires oil changes every 500 hrs. Also the 6000 series uses the the R134 freon the 5000 series uses the R22 freon, that is where the problem comes in. with the 5000 series the freon leaks through the hoses and it leaks so slow it is not dectectable. You need to put the upgradded hoses on the 5000 series gensets to fix the problem,

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter
You have a beautiful truck.But I really think the reason for youre great service from them is because you bought the whole truck from them. Of course they will treat you like gold, they want you to keep on coming back.Makes sense.I'm not saying they will give a nontruck purchaser bad service, but think about it.Truck buyers usually have priority at a dealership where they purchased from.

TSI's main business is truck engine and body repairs. They treat everyone equal. They just happen to be a Western Star dealer. By the way they will have a booth at the Expo.

truckdad99

Rookie Expediter
Bought one for much less than $9500, but it will be likely the last. We were lucky and only bought one.
It hasn't done that bad but the Rigmaster or Onan are a much better choice.
We bought ours in 06 and it lost a water pump, (covered under warranty) and blew the bearing out of the generator.
$1800 repair on it last month convinced me to go elsewhere.

I have replaced the generator twice with the same problem of the rear bearing going out.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Don't have a problem with mine works good I change the oil and both fuel filters and the air filter when I Change the Trucks oil every 10,000 to 12000 miles If a belt goes out it gets fixed. I set climate control little colder than mid way keeps it from icing up on the coils and keeps the cab cool. Keep your Filter clean at all times check it and the drain tube make sure its not plugged. Clean out the condenser and the heat exchanger as well. If it needs a new fan replace it. Unite keep the truck warm in -22 weather not a problem and no I don't got the Thermo king Diesel burner. Yes Carrier is a good unite a very good unite and Yes I've ran the Thermo King unite I do not care for it its garbage. The carrier also has a stronger charging system so if you loose truck power fire it up and it will get u in. It will Run all your equipment and lights. At least the one I have I know will.

truckblue

Expert Expediter
Driver
I have a Thermo King Tri Pac, and have had great service from it. The " not cooling when it's hot out" problem could be that your condenser coil needs to be cleaned. This has corrected the same problem for me.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Or evap coils outside too. Don't forget the outside coils let out heat and cool the gas back down. If it's covered in mud and road crud it can't release the heat....