Combination washer/dryer in sleeper

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Have any of the large sleeper owners (or motorhome/RV owners) on this forum had any experience with the RV sized W/D combos? I'm not talking about the stack unit, rather the type that washes and dries in the same bowl. How many pairs of bluejeans, etc can be washed at a time and how much water is needed per wash cycle?

Since recently changing to our new carrier I'm going through a lot of clean clothes (tarping,etc). Where we only needed to do laundry once a week, now I need to do it twice. Rod at ARI, our sleeper manufacturer, said it would be an easy retrofit to install a W/D unit in our existing sleeper. But are they worth the cost?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I would think one or two pairs of coveralls would be lighter and cheaper. Whatever space/components you would have to give up in the sleeper to make room for the washer/dryer could be retained.

I only know of one owner-operator team that had a washer/dryer in the sleeper. When they talked about it, they spent more time talking about how they worked around the problems of having it than the benefits; the main problem being the amount of water needed to use it and the weight of the water they had to carry. They reasoned they could dump the water when they had to in order to make them legal for scales. With tanks full, their water weight put them over the legal limit.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Hard to see through the Sun , But betting 6 months a year you will do washing once every 2 weeks...

Moose.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
i agree with ateam. coveralls are what 35 bucks? if that. w/d is what? install is what? where do you get the water? can you take that rig into an rv park or state park for shore?

work wear depot can provide lots of coveralls for a w/d price.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I also agree with Phil, if you are pulling a trailer with a million dollar RV, then yep get a W/D but....

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Since our loads generally are light and no more than 32,000 lbs, weight is not an issue for us. We are already equiped with the extra large fresh water tank so we would have an ample supply of water. The W/D combo would go in the wardrobe compartment in the sink cabinet. We currently use that to store cases of bottled water and "dirty clothes", both of which can be relocated to a storage bin on our trailer. Yes we do have shore power and occasionally store the trailer and get a campsite.

I've considered coveralls but if you've ever tarped a load in the summer heat you know how wet you end up. Definately don't want to store those for a week!

With the ever rising cost to do laundry at the truckstops I think in time it would pay for itself.

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well the thing may pay for itself but they are not made for trucks, but RVs and have low duty cycles. The point being that breakdowns may be the problem when it is put into a truck.

Also just curious, what is the length of these engines?

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
The smaller engines can run somewhere between 8-12 feet and the largest run 23-25 feet long when they are fully dressed (complete engines).

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Another option is to wear only a G-string when doing your tarping. You would remain legal under indecent exposure laws, overheating in the summer would not be an issue, and cleanup would be as easy as a shower and the need to do laundry is reduced. Winter work might be more of a challenge, but the incentive to work quickly would leave more time available on the log book for driving. Tatoos, if appropriately worded, could be tax deductible.

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Your attention please, will all volunteers please step to the front of the line for fitting of your company issued G-string uniform. Please note that we have strategically located the company logo to be sure and catch the eye of the customer!

Hey Phil, winter might put a whole new meaning to rosey red cheeks!

I don't care who you are, that's funny right there!

Last edited:

fatboy

Seasoned Expediter
Well depends where ya at those roses cheeks just might fall off .....hmmm.....new weight loss plan ...............

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
!!!! LMAO !!!!!!!! Sometimes mental pictures are not pleasant!!

Ya'll either need some more sleep or some time off!!! LOL

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
had one in the rv a few years ago. a single unit that washed and dry in the same tub..it held two outfits jeans and shirts ..the drying seemed to run pretty hot..back then it was a 1500.00 option

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the info HondaKing38. In researching the different brands and models availible to to "Mobile" customer application, we have found one brand particular that we feel we will be purchasing. It has many more features regarding vibration wear and tear from the road, plus a five year un-conditional warranty.

Installed price is in the range you have stated.Installed weight is 162 lbs and depending on the wash cycle water usage is between 6-17 gal. This would be very doable for our needs.

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
If you are still looking for a washer/dryer combo, I saw one for $1K at Campers World when I stopped by there this weekend in Byron, GA.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Just a suggestion. I saw a guy do this in the summer. Instead of Overalls (to hot) this guy had a old pair of OVERALLS and a T-shirt when he tarped his load.

10 minutes later he was back in shorts and a clean T-shirt. Pretty inventive ole guy. Lot cheaper than a Washer and Dryer in the Truck, sorry I just cannot imiagne what else we could ask of our Trucks even an ARI. Do people acutally come out of those things?

Just kidding.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I wonder how many people have diswashers already? Or is that an old thing? I know they make those counter top models for washing just a few dishes. Sorry I guess that was off topic.