Christmas traditions

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
How many of you plan on staying in service for Christmas? I have a team who is choosing to do this again this year.
Also, what is some of your traditions that you do for Christmas? One of my traditions is that I always participate in the Christmas eve service at my church. We have the most beautiful candle lit service. After the service, I take a box full of food, presents, and goodies to a needy family and leave it on their door step. I knock on their door then hide so that they can't see me. Once they take the box inside, I leave. Been doing this for alot of years.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Very nice tradition Wingnut!

Christmas is very important to our family and spending time with each other.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We will be spending Christmas with family. Midnight Mass and tons of food!! Christmas is family.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Christmas is spread out over 2 days for us....starts with Church on christmas eve...then a small get together with all of the kids for 3-4 hours of food and gifts and drinks....then the extended family showes up, anywhere from 30-40 of them...then it becomes just another family get together...too much food too much drinkin and the inevidible exchange of punches...then off to bed for it all to start over again on Christmas day.....but the food is always good!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Christmas is spread out over 2 days for us....starts with Church on christmas eve...then a small get together with all of the kids for 3-4 hours of food and gifts and drinks....then the extended family showes up, anywhere from 30-40 of them...then it becomes just another family get together...too much food too much drinkin and the inevidible exchange of punches...then off to bed for it all to start over again on Christmas day.....but the food is always good!!

No drinking on Christmas in our family...
a glass of wine for a toast at dinner...is all

Christmas is for the kids..
New Years for the adults

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
Im going to get drunk and throw up,,, just kidding just going to spend time with my kids and grandchiildren

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
youngs "child" in our family including the extended family is my 15 y/o...the rest of the "kids" are all adult , by the "legal definition.....notice i said "kids"....and my ex mil still to this day will ask ME when i am going to "grow up".....:D

and as far as new yrs, no family get togethers, football and a movie with my wife in the evening....most of the time, we are in bed asleep by midnight.....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
youngs "child" in our family including the extended family is my 15 y/o...the rest of the "kids" are all adult , by the "legal definition.....notice i said "kids"....and my ex mil still to this day will ask ME when i am going to "grow up".....:D

Then you'd still qualify under the child category!;)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
OH MY!!! I forgot to mention one of my favorite traditions. I just now put on a 5 gallon pot on the stove, full of water, some onion, bay leaves, celery, garlic, pepper, salt and 10 pounds of chicken necks and backs!! That will simmer for the next 10-12 hours to make my broth. HOMEMADE CHICKEN SOUP!! Layoutshooter style!! It just don't get no better than that!!! :D

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My Family along with the motorcycle group we are a member of and their Family, will be at The Soilders and Sailors Home, spending the day with the DAV that don't have anyone and then serving them dinner. been doing that for years.

ConfusedMuse

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Christmas is family, friends,food, spirits,jokes,sharing,family.
One Christmas tradition we have had in the past, and it was dreadfully good fun ,
was we went out to barns early in the day, cut wood, got a fire pit ready,by the lake. located the persnicky horses, corralled them, gave them a hot bran mash, and a ton of sweet hay, brushed them, got the wagon ready, bales,and blankets, and then headed back to the house. Did the rest of whatever had to be done, and baked cookies, got warm coats, mitts for all the little ones. Everyone showed up around 3pm grandparents, brothers/sisters husbands/wives, and oh my goodness the kids, dogs, cats, kids, laughter,yelping, barking total chaos!
We'd head out to the barn, singing carols, and laughing. Hitch up the ponies, all warmed
up,and not a chance of a good bone-jarring trot their bellies were full, they just plodded along, fine and dandy. We would run the property line, and head out onto the lake, dark blue/dusky sky's, and soft muted lights, was almost like a Christmas card until you heard the off key wagon, at the fire pit, we'd eat hotdogs, and drink cocoa, roast marshmellows.The evening ended as we headed back to the barn, still singing, and the little ones asking is Santa coming tonight? It was another time

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
When our kids were still at home, Christmas Eve was reading the story of the birth of Jesus, opening 1 present, eating a fast food meal, and going to look at Christmas lights. The next morning was opening gifts, cooking and spending time as a family.
Now that we are out on the road, the last few years we have gone home at Thanksgiving and spent Christmas in service. This works for us because our family seemed to have the time off of work at Thanksgiving. If we end up close to home near Christmas we'll go home, otherwise it's hauling freight

buddy

Seasoned Expediter
A tradition you ask? I remember when you could say "Merry CHRISTmas " to anyone, Cities and buildings would have signs telling all " Merry christmas" and a manger scene was perfectly ok to have set up on city property. Oh btw i understand that the political correct deffination of a pine tree in your home is called a Holiday Tree, not a christmas tree..

ANYWAY when my kids were little i enjoyed watching them trying to find the pickle hidden in the christmas tree,

Yes we will out here during CHRISTmas

Dabus1952

Seasoned Expediter
Christmas Eve is very special at our home. My wife migrated to the USA from Poland in 1978.I am part Irish and Polish. My grand parents migrated here from Poland as well.So we do the Tradional Christmas Eve as in Poland. We never eat any meat that day .We have my Kids , Grand children over for Dinner My wife makes home Made Pierogis, Potato Pancakes, Fish , Mushroom Soup And few other dishes. Pryor to our Meal we have a Blessed wafer which is pasted around to each person .You then wish them good health ,wealth, Etc. THen We sit down and say A prayer. Afterwards Everyone has the chance pryor to eating to state What there thankful for. This year right before Thanksgiving I was Blessed with a grand daughter So I now have a 5 year old grandson and the new born. We ussaly invite folks over to our home on Christmas Day who may be a lone .We have hosted sailors from Great Lakes Naval Base in North Chicago Il . Christmas day is Ham Etc . So now that I went on and on. Wishing you all a very joyous, healthy, safe Holiday and New year.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Can,t decide whether to visit x wife no.1 or x wife no.2. No. 1 has remarried, and no.2 is still single, sounds like no. 2 for me. But since my life is a soap opera, who knows,,grandkids 6, my budget strained, my life strained, xmas is strained, sounds like a 3rd choice is a trkstop or a waffle house. I dont have any xmas traditions, but Im williing to invent some...sky.

Dabus1952

Seasoned Expediter
Well sky rider should you get stuck at The Ta North Chicago or the J on Ryan rd in Milwaukee you PM me .I know we dont know each other but your more than welcome to my home on Christmas day.It beats sitting at a truck stop .That is what the true spirt of Christmas is about.