CB Setups

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
Looking specially for cargo van drivers.....post your CB set up's pictures a plus.

Im looking for mounting recommendations for antennas and I think I found a good spot to mount the CB on the dash but not sure if im gonna mount it there or on the roof.

THANKS !

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I mounted my antenna on the roof. It provides a great ground plane. I went with the K-40 that uses a quarter turn connection so you can easily remove the antenna if you back into a low door. Mounting the radio is tough in a van. I put mine next to the dog house, below the instrument cluster. Not a great spot, but I just hate having stuff on the dash.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
1st knowing what kind of van you have would help in radio installation..antenna, ground plain is important, maybe not as important as it once was with the newer antennas, but you still need a good hard surface area....

I mounted the antenna in the center of the roof by drilling through the roof and bolting it permenant, it comes off with a wrench when i need to go into low overhead doors.

I mounted the radio between the seats on the front of the doghouse below the cubbyhole. My QC sits on top of the radio and leans against the doghouse and that works fine.

Can't remember the manufacturer that made the antenna, it is a hi watt coil unit, and i don't think it is workin at its peak...but thats ok I only turn the thing on for traffic info, i have no need to chat with "drivers" .........it what most of them do is even considered "Chat"......

Last edited:

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
thanks for the replys. The van is a Ford E250. The van is not mine it is owned my my fleet owner so I couldn't mount anything real drastic.

Has a plate looking system that the qualcomm sits on thought about mounting the antenna there

I have a K30 on my jeep I thought about just taking it off there and throwing it on top of my van. But not sure. I'd like to get a good 15-20 miles maybe a little more out of my peaked and tuned cobra 29 not looking to talk across the US or anything.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Chris you ever drove otr before?? Personally, i won't turn that chatter box on unless there is a need to...it is all noise and cussin anymore....but if it works for you, enjoy....

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
Chris you ever drove otr before?? Personally, i won't turn that chatter box on unless there is a need to...it is all noise and cussin anymore....but if it works for you, enjoy....

nope never drove otr but been otr and living near a popular ga highway i have heard all the bickering and fighting but there are other channels other than 19 . Each town talks on different channels so I'd like to send a hello while waiting on a load or settling down for the night. I just enjoy talking on the CB I mostly like sitting back and hearing folks talk and I might chime in with my .02 every now and then haha.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I have a Wilson 1000 magnetic mount. I removed the passenger seat and put a desk/box/shelving thing in it's place. QC and CB are mounted on the "aisle" side of the box.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Excuse my ignorance, but don't they make handheld CB's kinda like a walkie talkie, then you wouldn't have to worry about installing it in the van.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My antenna is mounted on the inside fender lip. I drilled a hole in the firewall to run the coax into the cab.

Attachments

• antenna 2.jpg
    antenna 2.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 19
  • antenna3 resize.jpg
    antenna3 resize.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 20

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Chris,
My radio is mounted on the ceiling, center line, by windshield. I don't recomend doing it unless you have owner's permission.. but Ford vans have a 'bubble' in the sheetmetal there, that with EXTREME care, can be drilled thru and using SHORT sheet metal screws, the radio can be mounted there. Use more than 3/8 inch screws, or drill wrong place.. you're drilling thru roof.. so not for someone who can't find the exact place!

I was easily able to run all wires behind headliner then. Antenna, I use a Wilson 1000 Mag mount, coax ran out side door, I can just grab it down if needed. However, I just bought a 'rain channel mount' on Ebay, and plan to run a 4 foot Francis with 1/4 turn dismount, or spring load.

Tho some on here obviously don't like CB radios, :) I would not run without one. Mine is constantly on, unless I'm near some CB Rambo running his mouth. Generally tho, I have good conversation, and enjoy my radio throughly!

I'm able to leave it on at at a decent level, with squelch up, crank up the tunes, and still keep an ear open for anything happening up ahead.

It still cracks me up when people will talk about a back up for an hour before you get to it, give detailed instructions as to how to get around it... but sure enough, you'll hear a bunch of guys get on there "HEY.. anyone know why there's a backup here? "

"Yeah dude, it's that big wreck that everyone's been talking about for the last 50 miles... .. 10 mile back up.. but hey, CB sucks!"

Anyway... LOL.. I'm a little biased, been a CB nut for 25 years, no plans to stop :)

Dale

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
i hear ya dreamer. I enjoy the CB. I just have the k30 on my vehicle and im weighing the option to eather up the antenna or up the power on the CB. Its peaked and tuned but if I could find a CB shop near by I'd like to take it down there and get the thing going with more power.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Chris,
As long as the radio is peaked and tuned by a quality tech, there's no need to have someone crank it up too high. The extra wattage will just cause overmodulation, and make ya sound crappy.

Most radios set to deadkey 3-4 watts, with swing 12-15 watts will do fine. Anymore than that, and you start having distortion, and overstressing components.

Just make sure the radio is spot on freq, the ears are tweaked, and spend your money on a quality antenna.

The K30 is an excellent antenna, and either that or the K40 will do just fine in a magnet mount. Especially on a van roof, which makes an awesome ground plane!

Dale

guido4475

Not a Member
I also put my wilson 1000 magnet mount on the roof.The c.b. I velcroed to the dash. Not my first choice, but there were really no other places to put it. It is a northstar 4000 that I bought in 98 that puts out 40 watts.Crystal clear.Used to run a gray linear to it, but I outgrew that kinda stuff, I guess.Vans suck for trying to put extra stuff in it, thats for sure.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Okay,
I'm considering getting a cb for my truck, it would help out a deliveries that use the cb's to give you your dock door and also help with traffic issues, I hope. Please don't tell me not to get a cb, I know alot of what's on them is crap.
I don't want to spend a whole lot, but also don't want to go with a cheapy crappy one either.
Chime in and tell me what brands/models are good, also what is a good attenna to get.
Also will the cb need to be wired into my truck or do they plug into the cigarette lighter?
I remember the older Internationals used to have the power knobs to wire up your cb, but the newer trucks don't have those anymore

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a Uniden 78 that is about 12 years old. The meter light burned out and I had the whole meter replaced. That is the only problem I've had with this radio.

I also have a little Cobra 25 that is over 20 years old but it mostly sits on a shelf in the garage. The Cobra 25 replaced a Sears Road Talker, made by President that I bought shortly after the FCC expanded CB to 40 channels. This was a great radio but finally succumbed to heat, cold, moisture and vibration. The Cobra 25 was inexpensive and at the time I was running line haul at night in a company truck that was also used by day for city P & D. I figured eventually the radio would get destroyed or stolen, but I still have it. That set-up was mated with a 48" Francis fiberglass antenna. The Francis was also inexpensive but very durable. It stood up to the daily rigors of city P & D life, like tree branches and bridges.

I bought the Uniden when I started expediting. I was jumping between a van with a mirror mount antenna and a lease truck where I used my magnet mount antenna. I wanted a radio with a SWR meter so I could check the standing wave ratio. The Uniden also has an antenna alert light.

I have heard that the newer Cobras are junk. Could be just talk, I don't really know. I am very satisfied with my Uniden.

Whatever you buy get it from a reputable CB shop. Most CB shops will include a "peak, tweak and tune" with the purchase price. They should also be able to recommend an antenna for your particular truck. Get a radio with a SWR meter and learn how to check SWR and how to adjust the antenna.