CargoMax Vans

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Chef,
What happens if it weighs more than what you are told?

I would make that part of the deal, send me a weight ticket from a certified scale and I will agree to complete the purchase - contingent on if it meets my requirements.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Dennis,

It seems as if you got a kick azz van. Like the others, I'd like to see pics of it if ya can manage to get em up here somehow.

I went to the site on your link & I had to laugh at one thing said on there. It was this:

We are a full-line Chevrolet dealer tired of losing sales - and customers - to the Dodge Sprinter.

That was honest & to the point. I loved it. I wish that dealership well.

cleemed1

Seasoned Expediter
Congrats.... It almost looks like my 06 with a unicell body. flat floor, barn doors, I built a 60" dbl bunk sleeper in it. It will hold 4 skids and up to 4000 lbs. We get 10-14mpg out of it with a 6.0 gas. it now has almost 400.000 miles on it. Landstar calls them Super-B's. Good luck with it. We love ours and have han only compliments on it, again ours has a unicell body 14 ft body on it. I am curious to hear how yours does.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Thank cleemed! There is a reason it looks like your big Unicel body.

The body is the propritery property of Carter Chevrolet in Olka. at this point. They designed it along with the engineers at Unicel and Unicel makes it for them in their Toronto Canada facility. It was 1st decide to be the exclusive use for FedEx Home Delivery, but after the 1st run of them, FedEx didn't take all of them so Carter started selling them to anyone and everyone to move them, offering them to the Chevy dealers around the country that dealt with the "regional" FedEx depots to get them into those areas and also allowing them to retail them...Carter chevy has sold a few of the bodies though Unicell to other companies, but at this point, anything sold and manufactured has to go through Carter...that will change shortly as it is my understanding that in time, the design will fall to unicell with a royality being paid to Carter and then they will be available just as a Unicell body available on any "pool" chassis...now that is how it was explained to me, I wouldn't say that as "gospel", but its how I understand it from people at Unicell.

I have spoken to the Unicel engineering team leader that worked on this body to get additional info on making some modification to the inside as well as the parts people to get a list of certain parts that have a "history" of having issues over time (alot of the oarts in the unit are common to all unicell bodies) and I can tell you that the Unicell people have been great to work with as has Josh at Carter and the Salesmen at the dealeri am picking up the Van from in Ohio.

Now if they could get it here from Toronto , then buffalo NY a week or 2 earlier....:)

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I'm curious how you get 4000lbs with a 14 foot body and a 60 inch sleeper while not being over your GVWR?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Yea I know that, but I'm wondering how cleemed1 is getting 4000k out of that setup. If he has a 12k truck, then he may be considered a C unit, not a super B.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I know a few people running those E-450's with Landstar. I think those are 12,300 also and they have said they are Super B's...

I think it comes from the fact that they have to larger freight capacity then th CV B's but are NOT dock high as a C

Last edited:

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
the other nite i got to thinking you are clever like a fox cd. IF vans ever get rolled into the fmcsa mess of logging and scaling you can go back to the 4 rears and get the truck re-plated to orig gvrw and be ready for more weight.

you can get it re-plated if you add the 4 rears, right?

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
ticket reads 7400 something. did not scale it empty empty. should have. i saw mr guard state the weight is 90-150 lbs for the shell. i doubt it but......i think the 5400 lbs is for the ford cargo van. just cannot believe i have 2000 lbs of stuff in the truck.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
We are heading to Columbus Ohio to pickup the CargoMax tomorrow (3/18/11)..the "upfit" will start this weekend and be ongoing for a long time to come.

I will start a new thread in the "Truck Forum" where I will post pictures as I go.

One thing has already changed from the "original" purchase...I put a deposit on a van with no side doors that was in Okla. I bought the unit from a dealer in columbus Ohio...well before all the financing was in place, the Okla dealer sold the "no side door" truck...so they replaced it with a van that has the same equipment as the original, but it also has the sde doors...I am not sure how much weight this is adding to the curb weight, but it is what it is...and the price didn't go up and the doors aren't a bad deal, so we took it and it will be here tomorrow evening.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
The deal wasn't done because I did my own financing not the dealer, so while I had a deposit on it, it still wasn't complete...and I was told that when i gave them the deposit...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
ticket reads 7400 something. did not scale it empty empty. should have. i saw mr guard state the weight is 90-150 lbs for the shell. i doubt it but......i think the 5400 lbs is for the ford cargo van. just cannot believe i have 2000 lbs of stuff in the truck.

7400:eek:
I only weigh in around 6000....

have you went for a reweigh?