CargoMax Vans

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So in double overdrive with a 2.40 equivalent gearing at 60mph that runs what, about 937rpm?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I would consider just doing an axle change, not an gear reduction lowering the final ratio. The engine needs to turn within a specific rpm band to achieve what is called volumetric efficiency.

Got the '09 issue, you are right.

SO what's the answer to the other question in the PM?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was mainly teasing but that looks interesting. It looks like it makes the 4sp into an 8sp transmission and provides benefits beyond cruising mpg improvements. It will be interesting following your progress with this.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Greg the "volumetric efficiency" is covered on the companies website and yes it can be an issue with units equipped with an axle ratio that would be too high such as a 3:42 when the engine could run to slow and would be "hunting" for the correct gear, but they have had positive results with the lower ratios such as 3:73 and 4:10...and yes Leo it does basically turn the 4 spd into and 8 spd if the unit is run in the "autoshift" function...

As to the other question in the PM, it had nothing to do with this topic....

mrguard

Seasoned Expediter
I'm still torn about those vehicles.
They look like a take off of the Ford HCV Vans that
are cheaper.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
A take off?? Hmmm,, built on a Cut away Chassis, not a cargo van that has had the side walls and top cut off and had a "top" bonded to it....a complete fiberglass body top to buttom from to rear...14 ft long load floor, 10,000 gvw on a single rear wheel chassis....up to 12300 GVW on a DRW chassis...yes the rear door opening is 72 with the rollup door verses the 75 on the HCV....

The HVC is a nice van, but not the same as a "Cut away chassic with a body....

And yes the Max is more expensive...but the ability to haul more weight and longer freight makes a difference, does it not?? But then again, I think you would be surprised at what the left over 09's and 10's are selling for...i know i wouldn't buy one new in 09 when they were close to $50 grand, but i did buy a new 09 now, and for considerably less then even $40 grand....:)

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Chef,
Did you say you were going to build a removable bulkhead? If so will you be able to get 3 pallets in it.
Thanks

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I will have a removeable "insulated" curtain and a foldable bunk so that i will have 13 ft of available cargo floor.....

The curtain will be made of "Sail" material as used to make sailboat sails, 2 pieces sewn together with foil bubble insulation inbetween then sewn to stay in place and will snap in place with snaps every 4 inchs. It will be rolled up and held closed with 3 snap straps so that it can be stuck out of the way when not up...

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the offer dan. but I won't have the truck till mid march...but when I do , if nothing else, i'll take the pictures and e-mail them to you so you can post them LOL....taking them is no poblem, its getting them on EO..i can use photobucket and even load from my files anywhere else, but everytime i try to here, it doesn't work...i know its me, and not the site, but it just doesn't work out...:rolleyes:

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I will have a removeable "insulated" curtain and a foldable bunk so that i will have 13 ft of available cargo floor.....

The curtain will be made of "Sail" material as used to make sailboat sails, 2 pieces sewn together with foil bubble insulation inbetween then sewn to stay in place and will snap in place with snaps every 4 inchs. It will be rolled up and held closed with 3 snap straps so that it can be stuck out of the way when not up...

Great idea, the dacron should hold up really well. If you have access to a sail loft that sells used sails, you might even find a Mylar sail. Although more heavy, tend to have a bit more flexibility.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
It will be made of new mylar..the dimensions were e-mailed to the sail shop today!! While I can't get the van till mid march, I am getting things in line now...:)

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Hey Dennis, you should see the chrome wheels I'm getting. I think I'm going to have a decal of flames all over the front about halfway back.

Had fun in Knoxville last night you should have been there. Were about 50 or so people, I don't think there was but about 6 expediters there. I won a DVD player from Knoxville Freight-liner. Met John E. great guy.
Hopefully I will have mine figured out next week.:D

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Glad to hear it went well! As for John E., yeap he is the real deal...and if you can. send me a link to the wheels, I have been looking already!!:D

Oh and keep in mind, because of the switch from DRW to SRW, the rear wheel is different then the front wheel from the "Offset" standpoint, and the rear wheel will not fit on the front..but the front will fit..(for temp use in emergencies) I have a friend getting me a "extra" ft wheel for a spare....

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Thanks Jack...From what i have been told, but I have not seen a weight slip but the gas motor srw with NO side doors weights around 6770...so with the 09's having a 10,000 gvw door tag, that leaves 3230 for me, my junk and freight...

I'll be getting it mid march, so when I do the 1st thing I will be doing is weighing it and getting the accurate curb weight..