Cargo Van Pay

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
Found this on an expedite carriers website .

" Cargo vans earn 62 percent of the gross which ranges from $1.00 to $1.05 average per loaded mile. "

Sounded kind of cheap to me. Unreasonable or not ?

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Found this on an expedite carriers website .

" Cargo vans earn 62 percent of the gross which ranges from $1.00 to $1.05 average per loaded mile. "

Sounded kind of cheap to me. Unreasonable or not ?

Couldn't that be read in one of two ways?
vans earn 62% of the gross, with the gross ranging from $1-$1.05/LM
or
vans earn 62% of the gross, with the earnings ranging from $1-$1.05/LM
Typical carrier-speak = keep everyone as confused as possible

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
Couldn't that be read in one of two ways?
vans earn 62% of the gross, with the gross ranging from $1-$1.05/LM
or
vans earn 62% of the gross, with the earnings ranging from $1-$1.05/LM
Typical carrier-speak = keep everyone as confused as possible

My mistake, should have used the full statement.

" Cargo vans earn 62 percent of the gross which ranges from $1.00 to $1.05 average per loaded mile. Cargo vans can expect 1,000 to 2,200 miles per week "

jimmy

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter

" Cargo vans earn 62 percent of the gross which ranges from $1.00 to $1.05 average per loaded mile. Cargo vans can expect 1,000 to 2,200 miles per week "

jimmy

But it's the same thing. You still can't say for certain if the $1 to $1.05/LM is the gross or the 62% of the gross. I would really hope that a larger carrier who contracts with OOs is not doing loads which average only $1-$1.05/LM gross all-in to the carrier???

Last edited:

golfournut

Veteran Expediter

jimmy

Is the $1 $1.05 the result of 62% of a gross bid or is it 62% of 1$ or $1.05 resulting in .62 to .65 per mile. If its .62 per mile, run away.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is only one way @.62 a mile I can think of...

IF one had a plan to only stay in the biz for 3 years at most....with a good van.....and just run their tail off for that time and get out....just run the van into the ground....it could be done...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
In these cases, it is a very good idea to name the carrier so we can answer the question if we are with the carrier.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Well, $1 to $1.05 is about what it takes to win a bid board load these days for a van. It seems that you're looking at a carrier hauling mostly bid board loads and wanting to make the same profit they were making when the rates were higher. I would also venture a guess that it's a van heavy company if they're trying to clear those margins on van freight.

It just doesn't make sense as a driver to run for that kind of margin. After you figure your cpm with today's fuel prices, you can make more as a company driver doing truckload.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I really think they are saying that the van would be paid an avg of $1.00-$1.05 a mile...but beyond that, i know a few guys that drove for them and that wasn't anywhere near what they paid per mile, But forgetaboutit...you look at those FEES!?!? And a $2000 escrow!?!? Sorry not this guy.....

Oh and not knowing how old that pamphlet is, their current website sayes their equipment requirement for O/O's are ST,s and Sprinters

Last edited:

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
Thanks to all who replied to my question.

jimlookup I have both Internet explorer and Firefox browsers. Have the free AVG with IE browser. AVG Says it updated today the 6th, no warning from it.

chefdennis You may be right about the age of the link.

jimmy

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I just looked at that and it looked to me like the vans were getting $1 to $1.05, which might have been with fsc lumped in. It looks kind of old though.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
The guy that started Nations was some kind of big shot for Landstar in Jacksonville's Home office. He charges fee like Landstar does or did not sure anymore since leaving them. Anyway last year he ran into financial trouble and brought some one in to be a partner and supposedly got straightened out. But they can't possibly be hauling much freight charging those kind of fees, crazy stuff.

I think they have since moved their main office to Spartanburg S.C. Was told that anyway.

jimlookup

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks to all who replied to my question.

jimlookup I have both Internet explorer and Firefox browsers. Have the free AVG with IE browser. AVG Says it updated today the 6th, no warning from it.

chefdennis You may be right about the age of the link.

jimmy

I believe it was Wednesday I went to their sight to see if they published anything for out side carriers. AVG aborted action due to dangerous malware. I tried it twice. Today (Sat. AM) it seems to be working fine. Anyone receive spam from them?

Last edited: