Cargo Van Alternative

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I've been reading the posts from various members regarding the alternative to the Sprinter. I came across Supreme Corp website and saw The "Spartan" cargo box, I like alot! You can get it in 10, 12, 14 feet lengths, they have a side door option and if you go with the 14ft model, take 4ft to build a nice stand up sleeper set up. I also saw their aerocell box and it reminded me of Iveco Trucks when they were in the U.S. and they had a similar type of box except you could access the box from the cab. I wonder if you match a ford or chevy cutaway to an aerocell body how it would look?

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
And the new owner will get all of my trade secrets on how to be successful and never run in snow and ice. :)

I have been on vacation for so long that the Redbox greets me by name every time I rent a DVD.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Redbird,

Spartan makes a decent product but it is not as aerodynamic as the Aerocell body; hence, the Aerocell offers better fuel economy. Additionally, the FRP used to construct the Spartan body is heavier and will fade over time.

robh2

Veteran Expediter
Rev--I dont know your situation, but you have got through 2 aerocells pretty quickly. Are they not good for this industry? Did your weight keep you from loads compared to a chevy van?

Thanks

Robert

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I've been reading the posts from various members regarding the alternative to the Sprinter. I came across Supreme Corp website and saw The "Spartan" cargo box, I like alot! You can get it in 10, 12, 14 feet lengths, they have a side door option and if you go with the 14ft model, take 4ft to build a nice stand up sleeper set up. I also saw their aerocell box and it reminded me of Iveco Trucks when they were in the U.S. and they had a similar type of box except you could access the box from the cab. I wonder if you match a ford or chevy cutaway to an aerocell body how it would look?

You can get a cutaway Chevy or Ford but anything over 10' will be on dual wheel chassis and 12,300GVW.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Here are some pics of the PacVan from a few years back. I believe this is a 12' Baybridge box.
PackVan4.jpg

PackVan5.jpg

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I like the feature of a side door like the PacVan set up. In fact when I did outside sales for my one expedite carrier I bumped into a similar looking van in Aurora, IL at a customer but don't recall seeing the side box door.
Paul aka Purgoose, I wanna stick with single rear wheels if at all possible. On Spartan's website I saw the aerocell mounted on an Isuzu chasis but have heard stories of terrible rides from cabovers and I myself had have rough rides in them when I rented them for out of state runs. besides you can't access the box from the cab. If I did run an Isuzu the way to get a sleeper out of it would mount it on a 4dr cab chasis model.

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I'm trying to think of an alternative to the costly Sprinter yet be capable of handling sprinter loads. The HVC is also a possiblity...Jack seems to like his! The only demo in town by me is sold and I have to wait til they get another in from factory in Georgia.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I'm trying to think of an alternative to the costly Sprinter yet be capable of handling sprinter loads. The HVC is also a possiblity...Jack seems to like his! The only demo in town by me is sold and I have to wait til they get another in from factory in Georgia.

I am working on a truck with a 14' fiberglass, stand up cutoff with singles. As soon as I close the deal I will publish it. It is not an Aerocell. It's also 9900gvw.:D
Never buy a cabover for this work, it will ruin your back.

guido4475

Not a Member
My next one will definately be a spartan, rockwood,etc 12' body.Most likely a gasser, going for the lighter vehicle if at all possible.

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I know its not the most practical to do, but given my situation as I have a fulltime job and am able to work it so I get almost 4 days off before I am back on duty, My runs are generally out and back from the Chicago area, and for now running a cargo van works well. However should my employment status change and I decide to run expedite fulltime, I will choose comfort and payload capacity and go with a ford or chevy cutaway and a cube type box. or follow suit with Jack (aka Jack Berry and his wife Gracie) and maybe the HCV. or maybe find one of those used handicap transport vans with the rear doors that match the extended roof!

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
I know its not the most practical to do, but given my situation as I have a fulltime job and am able to work it so I get almost 4 days off before I am back on duty, My runs are generally out and back from the Chicago area, and for now running a cargo van works well. However should my employment status change and I decide to run expedite fulltime, I will choose comfort and payload capacity and go with a ford or chevy cutaway and a cube type box. or follow suit with Jack (aka Jack Berry and his wife Gracie) and maybe the HCV. or maybe find one of those used handicap transport vans with the rear doors that match the extended roof!
Red Bird, since you are in Chicagoland you may want to check out Custom Vans on Oakton, in Skokie. They do the van roof add ons with tall doors.

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Red Bird, since you are in Chicagoland you may want to check out Custom Vans on Oakton, in Skokie. They do the van roof add ons with tall doors.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check them out. Maybe they've got leads on used vans! I've been seeing alot of those handicap vans with high doors around the area lately!

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
Rev--I dont know your situation, but you have got through 2 aerocells pretty quickly. Are they not good for this industry? Did your weight keep you from loads compared to a chevy van?

Thanks

Robert

robh, rev has always got his truck done, driven it for a while then sold it. he has sold 2 cv and the aerocell. he is happy with the citywide. he is only on his second aerocell.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Greg, I haven't seen any issues with the top coat.

Rob, I enjoy building trucks. The Aerocell gives me more flexibility to experiment. Each truck (I have had 4 since 2006) is an improvement over the previous. After spending sometime living in the truck I begin to see something I could have done differently. I sell the truck, help the new owner get started and work on improving my next truck. I help them learn in 30 days what it took me years to learn. All of my buyers are still in the business. My last Aerocell buyer now has 3 trucks in service after just 2 years of expediting. Weight is not an issue for me as I do not haul heavy loads. Upon reviewing load offers for many years the number of loads >2000lbs are few and most are <1,000lbs. Length, width and height capacity is manifold more important than weight capacity. I have been number 6 on the Charlotte board many times and the other 5 conventional cargo vans watch as I leave the parking lot, because the load offer was for 3 skids or was 54" high. Every mechanic I have ever spoken with regarding transmission problems has told me that excess weight coupled with excess speed are the reasons he has a job.