Can you open carry a weapon.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I just want to see if people know their rights. So many peoples rights they don't even know they have never get used. Some people think you need a permit to carry a gun, which you don't in most states.

Check it out for yourself. listen then the video comes on.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXnK5UyRI

Last edited:

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
You are correct some states you don't need a permit. But open carry is frowned apon by a lot of people. A lot of people get the police called on them when they do. I kinda don't blame them. A guy or girl walks into a restaurant with a gun on their hip I would get a little nervous by this unless he had a shirt on that said he was a good guy then I would feel better lol jk.

I carry mine concealed and you will never tell if I got my gun on even when the shirt tucked in and I plan on keeping it that way even though Georgia gives the right with permit only to open or hide their weapon. If a bad guy decided to rob a store and sees you have a gun on your hip who do you think the gun will be pointed at first?

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Whether you carrry on the hip or concealed why not give the officer your ID. You are showing respect for his position and you will not tie up three other officers and a bunch of time.

What's the big deal about showing your ID

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Whether you carrry on the hip or concealed why not give the officer your ID. You are showing respect for his position and you will not tie up three other officers and a bunch of time.

What officer?

AMonger

Veteran Expediter

Some people don't like having armed, uniformed men asking for "ze papiers, bitte." Other places that have had that in the past turned out to be unpleasant.

How about having the officers show some respect for their bosses--the citizens?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
"If a bad guy decided to rob a store and sees you have a gun on your hip who do you think the gun will be pointed at first?"

There is another side to this coin,Chris. If that same bad guy robber comes in to rob that store and see that there are armed "good guys" that robber is more likely to just leave and look for easier places to rob. Predators go for the weak or sick. They seldom go after equals or stronger. There is also a good chance that someone who carries legally will know how to use their weapon better than a street thug. That "ghetto push" you know, hold the weapon side wise and "push" that bullet out as you fire does not really lend itself to accurate shooting.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
My 1st impression is that this guys a smart azz.( the civilian dude). Just for fun,,why doesnt he try this in downtown NY, Gary In, or on the border at Laredo so he can get extra opinons on the open carry law,,and o yea,,,try the ID refusal thing too,,,, If all the above goes ok, for him,,,then thats a rap and all is well , IMHO>:D

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I did not get to see that video, my computer won't let me.

I do know that the Second Amendment states that I have the RIGHT to "Keep and BEAR arms" Bear means to carry. We all have that RIGHT. It is part of the "Bill of Rights" Rights that belong to the PEOPLE. No officer of the law, no private person nor government official has ANY LEGAL standing to interfere with my RIGHTS under our Constitution.

Our employees, the government and some police forces and officers, are overstepping their bounds. They work for us, they do not control us. We must stand against that or we WILL lose our RIGHTS. They are in GREAT danger.

That is no reason to be a smart monkey to be sure. The police need probable cause to stop a citizen and the act of partaking in a RIGHT in our Bill of Rights is NOT probable cause.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Dave wrote:

I just want to see if people know their rights

Dakota wrote:

Well without reasonable suspicion (and open carrying a gun is not a crime so no reasonable suspicion has been establish, the officer has no right to ask your name or for your ID...as for showing "Your" respect to the officer...is he showing you the same respect by violating your Constitutional rights???

Saying that just giving your ID out of respect for the officer is like hearing people say " why not do it if you have nothing to hide"...that goes against what a very wise man once wrote about people like that:

"Those, who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

I guess those old guy that put together our Constitution know a thing or 2 about what we would be facing.....Thank you Mr. Benjamin Franklin

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Part of the problem is that people have forgotten just who is who in this country. Many really believe that the government/police are in charge or in control of the People. Many have forgotten they only the PEOPLE possess rights and that the government ONLY exists at the will of the People.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
There used to be a guy who rode around the town North of me, Mt Grove, MO. On an older Harley. Missouri has a concealed carry by permit. No permit needed for open carry. This gentleman who was to say the least heavy. Carried a big 45 automatic in a shoulder holster. I personally never felt safer when he stood near me in a grocery store.:rolleyes:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Some people don't like having armed, uniformed men asking for "ze papiers, bitte." Other places that have had that in the past turned out to be unpleasant.

A lot of people don't like having truckers who have attitudes while they drive armed either.

Just thinking about it. you get into a problem with another truck driver who for a 4 miles have ridden on your a** because there is no where to get out of his way. The other driver is very aggressive and angry at your refusal to move over when he wants you to and tells you over the idiot box he is going to teach you a lesson if he ever sees you outside the truck. After a harrowing experience pulling past a expediter who is taking their time at the front of a 20 truck line, you clear the line and pull over but so does he, he is p*ssed off even more for ignoring him on the idiot box. He gets out of his truck and walking to your truck and you see him carrying a weapon in a holster.

DO you think that you would actually sit still unarmed while he is approach you to hurt you or would you try to remove the threat by running him over?

Layout,
When you deal with scum who rob places to get money for a fix or what ever, they have no proper mindset that would tell them that an armed group or individual means go away, the first one who they will target to take down will be the guy with the weapon in plain sight.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
"Layout,
When you deal with scum who rob places to get money for a fix or what ever, they have no proper mindset that would tell them that an armed group or individual means go away, the first one who they will target to take down will be the guy with the weapon in plain sight."

I don't agree, I doubt that there are any facts to back that up, but it really does not matter. The fact is that I have a RIGHT to "Keep and Bear Arms" for my protection. Protection of my family, property, health and safety. Protection from, but not limited too, robbers, rapists, oppressive governments and/or police departments.

When I am home I often carry. If I were not in this business I would likely carry almost all the time. We are looking for a more comfortable holster for my wife as well.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I don't agree, I doubt that there are any facts to back that up, but it really does not matter. The fact is that I have a RIGHT to "Keep and Bear Arms" for my protection. Protection of my family, property, health and safety. Protection from, but not limited too, robbers, rapists, oppressive governments and/or police departments.

Sorry Joe, it really does matter and my comment has zero to do with any rights you have. Your rights end when you are dead.

You are standing in line fumbling with change as someone comes up behind you and blows your head off because they see a weapon in your holster and assume you are a cop. He/she is so messed up from drugs or drunk and wants to rob the place but doesn't give a crap what you are, just needs to get you out of the way. This does two things, kills you dead so you can't do a thing about them and scares the crap out of the others so they will do what he says without hesitation - like open the safe.

It has to do with common sense and the animal instincts of people who are either desperate or on drugs. If you present a threat, they will act on that threat before anything else.

There is a lot of evidence to support what I'm saying, just talk to any Detroit cop who was hired before 1980.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Sorry Joe, it really does matter and my comment has zero to do with any rights you have. Your rights end when you are dead.

You are standing in line fumbling with change as someone comes up behind you and blows your head off because they see a weapon in your holster and assume you are a cop. He/she is so messed up from drugs or drunk and wants to rob the place but doesn't give a crap what you are, just needs to get you out of the way. This does two things, kills you dead so you can't do a thing about them and scares the crap out of the others so they will do what he says without hesitation - like open the safe.

It has to do with common sense and the animal instincts of people who are either desperate or on drugs. If you present a threat, they will act on that threat before anything else.

There is a lot of evidence to support what I'm saying, just talk to any Detroit cop who was hired before 1980.

There are also tens of thousands of crimes stopped by armed citizens every year. Most go unreported. No matter, not worth arguing over. You have your beliefs, I have mine. I can't change yours and you can't change mine. I will continue to carry, most of the time, concealed.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Just one example of the estimated 2.5 MILLION times each year that armed citizens prevent or stop crimes.

Around 3:30 a.m., two masked men armed with guns broke into a home in Scioto County, Ohio and held the inhabitants at gunpoint. The thieves had targeted the home in order to steal pain medication prescribed to a terminally ill cancer patient living there. While the thieves were rounding up the medication and a small safe, one of the residents retrieved a shotgun and ordered the pair to leave. When one of the criminals turned toward the resident with a gun, the resident fired, striking the criminal and causing his partner to flee.

The wounded robber was taken to a local hospital and is expected to survive; his accomplice was captured hours later alongside a nearby road, having been abandoned by the pair's getaway driver. Police suspect the criminals may be responsible for a similar robbery earlier in the week. (WSAZ, Huntington, W.V. 01/28/11)