Can 18-wheel electric trucks be far off?

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Looks like that Cube car from Japan, everytime I see one I think clowns are gonna jump out. IMHO:D

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Peterbilt has a hybrid that they have been working on for awhile.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Think for a moment, the size of the battery pack would be the size of the truck itself. The amount of energy that is used to move that truck with a load would take a lot of energy.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Thank God I'll be out of the industry before they have a chance to become the norm....To own anything like that, even in a CV would give the impression I have anny inclination to go along with the "greenies and "enviromentalist"....not a chance...I get a discount at home on my "trash fee" if I recycle...I refuse to....:eek:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I read the article and became confused, more so than normal. Maybe something got lost in the language translations. Mr. Gorrie (Canadian) tours an Iveco (Italian) in Berlin (German) and Moot (Minnesotan) reads it at home on a Sony (Japanese) while sipping coffee (Columbian). Truly a global economy!

What first confused me was the headline above a picture of a single axle tractor: Can 18-wheel electric trucks be far off. I'll cut the guy some slack on this, being he's a Canadian journalist. And the truck could do duty pulling a tri-axle trailer or a set of doubles.

The next bout of confusion hit me when I read the first 3 sentences:

Inside its cab, the giant truck resembles a nicely appointed apartment.
It boasts comfy chairs, flat-screen TV, ceramic-top stove with overhead fan and light, small sink, refrigerator, dishwasher, heating and air conditioning. The floor is manufactured wood, in light oak; mood lighting abounds.

Can all of those amenities really fit into a single bunk cabover? There is no mention of a bed so I guess all that stuff could fit. I've seen pictures of European luxury apartments and they can do a lot within a small space. I'm thinking about remodeling my broom closet and renting it out. I'll run an ad in the Greenpeace Quarterly Magazine. The ad copy will state: European elegance at section 8 housing prices. This should be appealing to the Obama crowd.

In fact, there are about as many electric trucks as cars in service — albeit, still in small numbers — and their growing numbers counter the perception that battery power is only for flyweights.

This too is a bit confusing for me. Is this world wide, Europe or Canada. I'm sure it doesn't apply to the U.S.

Meanwhile the diesel-fuelled giants are being reconfigured with fuel-saving devices and design tweaks.
Both developments will certainly cut pollution, especially in congested cities, but the real goal is to conserve fuel and money, not the environment.

This paragraph had me so confused I passed out briefly. Mr. Gorrie is an environmental reporter! How can a green weenie make a statement like that without being burned at the stake in an environmentally friendly sort of way using only a large magnifying glass and our good friend Mr. Sun? Environmentalists as of yet don't seemed too concerned about the effects on Mother Earth when it comes to mining the somewhat rare and non-sustainable metals needed to make large batteries.

The fancy truck I've described is called the Glider. Built by Italy's Iveco S.p.A., part of the Fiat Industrial Group, it carries equipment that spokesperson Ivan Calaon says will cut its diesel engine's fuel consumption by 40 per cent.

Two square metres of solar panels on the cab roof produce two kilowatt-hours of electricity on a typical day. More comes from aggressive regenerative braking. And hot exhaust gases fuel what amounts to a small steam-powered generating station.
All of this generates enough electricity to run the truck's lights, pumps, steering and the gadgets inside, leaving the diesel engine with nothing to do except move the truck. Excess electricity is stored for use when the rig isn't running.
The streamlined shape cuts fuel consumption, as do an under-body cover and a fifth wheel that can alter the gap between the tractor and trailer while the truck is moving, to reduce turbulence and drag.

A new cooling system allows the shutters on the grill to be closed for longer periods, which also improves the truck's aerodynamics.

Nothing confusing here. All excellent and practical ideas that could be incorporated into any over the road truck.

Calaon says truckers love it at first sight, although owners will have to weigh the fuel savings against a substantial extra cost.

I would imagine the cost will come down if this truck becomes popular. No mention of the weight of the batteries which could be a major drawback also.

I think it is a nice looking truck, but I have a thing for cabovers. Colonel, got your order in yet?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Looks like that Cube car from Japan, everytime I see one I think clowns are gonna jump out. IMHO:D

I used to see one of those original Scions, the squared off ones, running around my neighborhood. The license plate read: CLWNCAR.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
A couple of years ago we went through the railroad museum here in Baltimore. It is huge. Anyway, on the tour in this one particular building, there is a locomotive that has electric motors. The power is supplied by a diesel generator. From what I remember, this type of setup is still used today. I don't remember what type of application, but that particular locomotive did it all. Freight and passenger.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Almost if not all diesel locomotives are diesel/electric. The diesel engine(s) power generators that supply electricity to electric motors at the wheels. Same with large mining equipment like those huge dump trucks.

aileron

Expert Expediter
A couple of years ago we went through the railroad museum here in Baltimore. It is huge. Anyway, on the tour in this one particular building, there is a locomotive that has electric motors. The power is supplied by a diesel generator. From what I remember, this type of setup is still used today. I don't remember what type of application, but that particular locomotive did it all. Freight and passenger.

I wonder why this diesel/electric technology did not make its way on trucks yet. To me it seems like a better solution to what we have today.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Mods could you please ban Moot until July 4. His subtle stab at the intelligence of Canadian (journalists) on Canada day no less is outrageous. :banhammer:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I wonder why this diesel/electric technology did not make its way on trucks yet. To me it seems like a better solution to what we have today.

Actually one engine manufacturer has a couple on the road, with help from GE.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Nota wrote:

Electric vans are already here ...

Navistar Begins Indiana Production of Battery-Electric Cargo Van - AutoObserver

As i said, Thank God I'll be out of the industry before these pos become the norm..50 miles on a charge lol and med duty...Yea we will all be running out to but them in the near future to haule VAN freight....:rolleyes:

What joke...

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Mods could you please ban Moot until July 4. His subtle stab at the intelligence of Canadian (journalists) on Canada day no less is outrageous. :banhammer:
I apologize if my post may have disparaged the reputation of Canadian journalist Peter Gorrie. As you pointed out it was especially thoughtless of me to do so on Canada Day of all days! It is no longer Canada Day so:

Hockey hockey sticks and pucks
I still think Gorrie sucks!

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I happen to be on the Hino web site today. They are offering a 2012 hybrid. I was pressed for time so didn't look into it, but look very interesting.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I happen to be on the Hino web site today. They are offering a 2012 hybrid. I was pressed for time so didn't look into it, but look very interesting.

I'm sure it will be as dependable as their current trucks eek