Cab-overs

Stitches

Seasoned Expediter
When did cab-overs cease being produced? I saw a 2000 KW the other day in the Truck Paper. I also saw an ad in another magazine for a non-expedite freight company that only drives cab-overs.

jansiemoo

Seasoned Expediter
I believe the last year for the Freightliner Argosy was '06 or '07. (Other companies stopped prior to Freightliner.) Rumor has it Paccar will bring the DAF CF or XF105 coe from Europe in the next couple of years. They already brought over the LF under the KW badge.
:)

guido4475

Not a Member
When did cab-overs cease being produced? I saw a 2000 KW the other day in the Truck Paper. I also saw an ad in another magazine for a non-expedite freight company that only drives cab-overs.

A cabover is still available from Kenworth and Peterbuilt through special order.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Oh wow!! This'll be a good thread if'n anyone is interested. Cabovers forever!!! Lets jes go ahead an read the banter about'em again. Funny how this subject keeps rearing it's ugly head. Cannot understand WHY y'all don't jes jump in and getca one o them an put'er on the road and then be the Cabover advocate. Forget a NEW one, most of you can't afford one anyway. But, I suggest y'all look at them anyway. They be fun!!!!!

jansiemoo

Seasoned Expediter
Originally Posted by guido4475:
A cabover is still available from Kenworth and Peterbuilt through special order.

This is true, however the c/o that I believe you are referring to is the T-5000 and is only available as an export! They are made in the USA and they won't let us play. :( It is mainly used as an off road truck for logging, oil rigs, and the like. :( Too bad as it's a good looking truck. There is a small c/o currently available under the KW badge (I am unaware of Pete's involvement with this new model at the time) that is along the lines of the Isuzu NPR or GM's W-series.

Pete does have a "special purpose" line of c/o's that are for garbage trucks and the lot.

If you are looking for a c/o for expediter use the choices are limited if you plan to intergrate a sleeper, as most of the ones available are smaller trucks (NPR, the new little KW). The few larger ones (GM's W-series in the higher range) have been hampered with a non flat back. What this means is that you would have to either mount the sleeper higher, further back, or have the sleeper floor itself modified to accommodate the various items such as the engine/transmission.

On the smaller and purpose built c/o's you may notice that they have a flat floor. This is due to the use of a smaller engine, engine placement, or both. If you move the engine back then you can have a flat or semi-flat (hee-hee) floor that would eliminate the hump that EVERYBODY hated. However, by moving it back it just protrudes out into the open and in the way of a sleeper. If you look at the Freightliner Argosy as well as the european makers (DAF XF105, MAN TGX, Volvo FH16) they have taken a different approach by moving the engine downward, in doing so you wind up with a lower center of gravity and no protrusions in the way of an add on sleeper. If you don't mind the hump then take a look at a 2001 or newer Pete 362 or KW equivalent with the factory coffin sleeper as this will take up the space over the protruding engine/trans and you can mount the sleeper directly behind and just roll through into you new sleeper.

The other option it to move the sleeper back, deal with the open gap by putting a toolbox there, and get out of the truck and walk to your new sleeper. LOL

-Mr. Jansiemoo

Last edited:

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
i've seen a company using co when hauling over lth items. seen about 5 or six in the last two weeks. they are always going the other way. they are small sleeper units.

guido4475

Not a Member
As told to me via my local k-w dealer, a cab-over is still available for over the road, in addition to the vocational market. There is a large co out of california that still runs cabovers,and are a relatively new fleet of model year trucks.International had the roomiest cabover, by moving the air intake box tot he rear of the cab from on top of the engine. With a m-11 cummins, the floor would be flat. but with the larger dispalcement engine, there was a 4" rise in the floor.

fatboy1

Veteran Expediter
i have seen a few kw's for sale in various parts of us, it would be cool to bring one back and make an exped. out of one. my first time driving a big rig was when i was 16, man that pete ccab over would fly 110mph in 11th gear and 2 more to go!!!! i think ateam had a post of something about coe being bulit not sure for exped. but it looked good.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
That thing looks so heavy once you put a box on it you would most likely be stuck hauling b unit freight. You might haul some c unit freight with it.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Now's the time to get em, as they've dropped like everything else. The nice yellow Argosy on TP is $25,000, and has 200k on it. Just broken in. I suggest you hurry before the Col decides to come out of retirement! ;)

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Now's the time to get em, as they've dropped like everything else. The nice yellow Argosy on TP is $25,000, and has 200k on it. Just broken in. I suggest you hurry before the Col decides to come out of retirement! ;)

Most people here couldn't drive that truck because it's not an automatic.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Ye'p , them Argosy's will give you a run for your shifting skills ,
have some kind of cables going from that little stick to the transmission.
they really shift better when the volume is up...
I happened to Lease one for 9 months.
my dentist really appreciated my choice...
but there was always a spot for it late at night , in the truck stop ,where no one else can fit it.
it's a real sham they stopped making them ,
you can still get them as a glider tho'w ,will not come cheap.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Most people here couldn't drive that truck because it's not an automatic.

I bet they can. It's like a video game joystick. Just that most people don't want to drive that truck. Something about it being ugly, or too high up, or whatever. Fact is, people don't wanna try something else once they found something they like. But I'll guarantee many would never go back once they try an Argosy. Only thing holding me back is money. They are a comfortable ride!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I actually enjoyed driving one, it sat up higher than what I have now, the visibility was excellent but the draw back was climbing those stairs, man that gets tiring for a fat man.

They are out there sitting on lots collecting dust because no one wants them. $25k is actually cheap when you think about the original cost and because they are a repackaged FL, parts are around. But than again you can get a 2005 M2 with 96" bunk and BIG box for a little more in this market.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Creature comforts or apartment on wheels? Is that what you mean? 96" is really big but you give up that needed space in the box, right?

I like the idea of a 110" cab/sleeper with a 26 foot box, theres a lot of room there and the sleeper can be arranged pretty well with a saw, some 2X4s and some nails.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Creature comforts or apartment on wheels? Is that what you mean? 96" is really big but you give up that needed space in the box, right?

I like the idea of a 110" cab/sleeper with a 26 foot box, theres a lot of room there and the sleeper can be arranged pretty well with a saw, some 2X4s and some nails.

Why stop at a 26'? If you can get a 28-29' box, you've got enough for 14 skids. I saw one on truckpaper... blue Morgan, but it's only 96" wide. I'd prefer a little wider, so I don't run into the problems I have with the 92" wide I have now.

There was a C&M driver, I once swapped with, who had a chain in the floor of his box on an automatic winch. He hauled cars with it. He also used it to pull pallets from other trucks onto his. Wicked idea! I see that thing being more useful, dollar for dollar, than a reefer.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Twins Custom Coaches is a neat site... But all I saw on it was 1 actual truck. That "real" truck they built looked to be doing all it really could comfortably perform - special events tours. Their "coaches" are not practical at all in the freight biz. I do like the bunk and dinette layout... I could see it working within 96" with very careful planning. Reading the history of them real quick... those guys are hot rod builders - and it shows too. I love their smoothed out lines they've put on the trucks for aerodynamics, that was smart. To me, Twins Custom Coaches has no current business in the general freight or expedited freight industry... because of their long body... those things would work great for car shows, but imagine hitting docks with those monsters? No thank you. The special event industry is wide open... because everybody wants to show up with a "WOW" factor. There is no set truck for special events, whether it has a 120" wheelbase or a 320" wheelbase... nobody cares. It's for show, (Chrome with an engine basically).
Generally what it's hauling is far FAR Very Far more valuable than the truck pulling it.

The Argosy is a nice truck, though I've never drove one personally, they do seem to handle well when I've seen them around. Personally, I like the step idea on them.
I also like the old KW K100's, esp. the high roof models.

If they do indeed bring over some COE's from Europe then there would be a whole new face put on American trucking. I believe there's a market for them here, but it would be in regionalized trucking where only a small sleeper would be needed and a tight turning radius would quickly pay for the truck... in regards to being able to get trucks in/out due to faster handling. That faster handling would be due in part to a better view, with a much shorter wheelbase.

I feel that a coe with the right set-up could easily support a 28' box, and still provide a very comfortable stand-up sleeper without 2x4's and nails to make it happen.

That's my 2 cents.

Last edited: