C & M Good? Bad?

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
So, as long as you can make the BMW payment food is secondary?. Seems to me it's a screwed up sense of priorities. IF I had a choice (myself personaly) I would give up cellular service before taking a hand out if I were able to work.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
So, as long as you can make the BMW payment food is secondary?. Seems to me it's a screwed up sense of priorities. IF I had a choice (myself personaly) I would give up cellular service before taking a hand out if I were able to work.

There are many reasons they could still have the car. The payment was made the first week and they lost their job the second week or the payment hasn't been made in 4 months but the car just hasn't been repoed yet.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter

Does it really matter? If he let's go of the phone, he can't take a call on a job. If he let's go of his car, he can't go to the interview. He obviously made the wise choice in order to be able to take this position.

Best of luck to him. He will be up in no time.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I would guess any national Cellular service provider gives a phone when you sign up. A phone that makes and receives calls which works for lots of cellular phone owners. So it would appear a smart phone & a hand out is the way to go.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
Well thanks for that insight Rocket! A lot of valiuable info in that post :)

I do know its not going to be pretty the first few weeks. And the food stamps will only be good in michigan, so im thinking I may have to take out a small loan just to get by, the F.O did say C&M has a small interest rate like if you borrow 200 bucks they only charge like 12 bucks for it, something like that. I hate the fact that I don't have anything saved up for this. But when your unemployed for almost four years it gets brutal. And when I was working I was use to getting by on like 100 bucks a week, so hopefully I can pull this gig off for like the three weeks lol

wait wait wait. c&m holds back 3 weeks pay. fine. that is to the truck. you are driving for a fleet owner. he, wait make that HE is responsible for paying you. HIS pockets sb big enough to pay you before he gets his money.

as for taking a loan from c&m for your living expenses i would say NO. no matter what interest the interest rate is. you are an employee of the fleet owner not the truck owner. the first person to get paid is the driver. you should get a check every week from week one or you are being used as a patsy. if you have no savings and can't get paid this is a bad deal for you.

look at this deal very carefully.

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Thanks, Jefferson. It really irks me when people ask how someone getting government aid can afford [insert outrageous whatever: cellphone, tattoo, etc] . As if they couldn't possibly have been employed before, right? And when they lose the job, they should have nothing else, either? Why are folks so ready to blame the victim?
Because it's easier than addressing the real issues, but it sure doesn't help solve the issues.:(

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Cheri:
If your referring to me, I don't care if Rob1982 gets your name tattooed on his Butt. He's late 20's able bodied. He should be working not collecting food stamps.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Bill, you're pushing it. You're making too many assumptions and jumping to too many conclusions and are too judgmental on those conclusions. Let it go, please.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I have a bit of advice for you Rob, and you may not like it, this isn't the business for you.

It sounds like you are desperate for a job while not understanding that this business needs some fall back money just in case regardless where you are at.

To depend on someone else for money to make ends meet while starting out in these times is a lot to ask for and seeing you are a new driver, it is even harder for someone to trust you with a van, let alone a van.

Seeing you have a CDL, go to Michigan Works and ask them for help. They should find you something to start you on your way.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I have a bit of advice for you Rob, and you may not like it, this isn't the business for you.

It sounds like you are desperate for a job while not understanding that this business needs some fall back money just in case regardless where you are at.

To depend on someone else for money to make ends meet while starting out in these times is a lot to ask for and seeing you are a new driver, it is even harder for someone to trust you with a van, let alone a van.

Seeing you have a CDL, go to Michigan Works and ask them for help. They should find you something to start you on your way.

Michigan Works? Are you kidding? That's the most worthless government program of all! I've been there. They do NOTHING to help you find or change careers.

Rob... If you had some money to hold you the first three weeks, fine. If you don't, and if you need to get comcheks from them, it's 10% of the check +$19, if memory serves me. If your fleet owner can help you, great. The guy I'm driving for now helped me get back into a truck; and would've paid me early if I needed it. I didn't have a lot of money to spare after my truck broke down on its final payment.

So don't listen to all this bs about you need so much to make it in this business. With times like these, many do not have that luxury. I would recommend having a certain amount; but I've made it back from the brink, counting on a credit card with $150 left on it. I believe you could do it too. It will take some careful managing of any money you get, until you get paid. And it'll either take some generosity from the fleet owner, or a couple of comcheks; plus, a lot of luck in that you'll get some good runs. I don't think you'll have a problem getting that from C&M.

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Boy T-hawk. What can I say, it isn't the service but the access to the job listing for CDL holders. Whether it is a joke or not, a lot of companies will use that service to find workers and there are jobs out there.

This seems to be a typical situation now, but not a reflection on Rob's situation because I wasn't aware of all of it - so I apologize. BUT in many cases someone who seems to be desperate for any work and is typical of those who jump in because there isn't anything else, willing to take anything that comes along and when they have an issue or a problem on the road, they are stuck on the road without cash to help them get back home.

Your situation T-Hawk seems to be a lot different than that of his.

BUT overall for those who think or want to depend on a company to advance you money to make ends meet is a very bad thing - especially when they have no established work record with them or driving a truck.

The same goes for being in a bad situation while starting out, focusing on the money and than getting frustrated because the truck isn't moving is one thing that seems to pop up here a lot because of how we promote this work.

I still stand on my original comment that maybe if the situation is bad, maybe this isn't the right place for him right now - not for us but for him.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Michigan Works? Are you kidding? That's the most worthless government program of all! I've been there. They do NOTHING to help you find or change careers.

Rob... If you had some money to hold you the first three weeks, fine. If you don't, and if you need to get comcheks from them, it's 10% of the check +$19, if memory serves me. If your fleet owner can help you, great. The guy I'm driving for now helped me get back into a truck; and would've paid me early if I needed it. I didn't have a lot of money to spare after my truck broke down on its final payment.

So don't listen to all this bs about you need so much to make it in this business. With times like these, many do not have that luxury. I would recommend having a certain amount; but I've made it back from the brink, counting on a credit card with $150 left on it. I believe you could do it too. It will take some careful managing of any money you get, until you get paid. And it'll either take some generosity from the fleet owner, or a couple of comcheks; plus, a lot of luck in that you'll get some good runs. I don't think you'll have a problem getting that from C&M.

Agreed...we have another member here that is fighting his way back from the brink....he's almost at the top of the hill now.... It can be done...some luck, some old fashion dig your heels in and good money management...

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
Cheri:
If your referring to me, I don't care if Rob1982 gets your name tattooed on his Butt. He's late 20's able bodied. He should be working not collecting food stamps.

Bill, I think your going to need to sit down before you read the rest of my post.

Collecting foodstamps doesn't mean you have to agree to be destitue first. In my state, I went on FS last winter cuz things were slow. But guess what, when I got a 2 week job through a temp agency, they didn't kick me off.

I was allowed to earn $1176 a month before I was kicked off. I didn't make enough until March to be "inelligible".

So your tax dollars are supprting even working people. I am sure there are a lot of people who hide part of their income or purposely don't take all the shifts they can get to stay under $1176 a month.

I was surprised to say the least how much you are allowed to make and collect foodstamps.

Rob,

Don't get discouraged, you can make it with little money to get started. I don't eat at truck stops or fast food snd I spend $50-75 a week on groceries.

But someone also made a good point, your a company driver, your FO should be paying you as such. If not, after a week or two and he sees that you are a solid driver, he should have no problems giving you an advance on what you already earned.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Cheri:

I wasn't referring to you, specifically, but if the shoe fits....
I totally agree that people SHOULD be working, but I don't presume that the reason they are unemployed [or underemployed] is their fault or laziness, without any indication whatsoever that it is.
I have no idea why the person is collecting food stamps, and neither do you.

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Rob,
You got alot of good advice from alot of the people here on EO. Something I learned from a Mentor of mine while I was doing my college internship. He told me "You're going to meet alot of different people in your line of work and everybody has a different way of doing things. But in the end we're all doing the same job and the focus is the same. If you take the best parts of everyone's advice and wrap it up into one model. YOU will be the best at what you do."

I applaud you for trying to get off the "system" and trying to get back into the working world and back on your feet. it seems you have done your research here on EO and alot of well seasoned veterans who have been in this business for a long time have offered up some good advice. I have to ask a couple of questions as I've read through the post;
1. Are you married or single and will you be having to provide for a just you or a family?
2. You mentioned your FO has a gas card for fuel in the van. Who's paying the fuel? You? or the FO? What kind of payment are you getting, ie 60/40 with you getting 60% and paying fuel or you getting 40% and FO paying the fuel?

Now I've been in your shoes, so I know your situation. Back in the 90's while living in Atlanta, I was living the dream of my career in law enforcement and also operating a small expedited delivery business on the side. The goal was this, get the cop job out of my system and then with my Dad we set up a small family owned expedite trucking business and involve the entire family in it and relocate the company back to Chicago. This was the dream my late Mom had for the family. Mom and Dad moved back to Chicago after my Dad got laid off from his executive job with a major construction equipment manufacturer, and began the helping me with the business in Atlanta. We had two trucks a Cargo Van and a Cube Truck. Shortly after the folks moved to Chicago, Mom fell ill and contracted "Lou Geherig's disease" or better known as ALS. After about 1.5yrs staying behind I really wasn't ready to quit my job being a cop, but realized my parents needed me back home and it wasn't fair to my sisters to be burdened with all the help, I moved back home. My jobs were spotty as I could not get back into policing in another state and took crappy jobs so Mom could be cared for 24hr/7 and give Dad a break. After Mom died, I wanted to keep her dream alive so I tried to resurrect our expedited business fulltime. But it was hard, and the economy tanked, and in the slow season, I had no money coming in so the cash reserve I used for my expenses went to paying bills. I came close to the brink of bankruptcy but did not want that hanging over my head, so as much as I wanted to make my trucking business work, I realized I couldn't do it....at least not right now. I was out of work for almost 3 years trying to get things off the ground, oh I had trips here and there but nothing steady!
A lesson I learned from my late uncle (my mom's brother) who told me that when he left his cushy job with a big electronics company he fell flat on his face 3 times and picked himself up and wiped off the dust and persevered again until he succeeded and became a success having founded his own electronics company which he was the first to create the micro chip used in night vision goggles used by the military and in the scanners at the grocery checkout lanes. So I have failed one time so far in my attempt to succeed in my goal to establish my expedited trucking company. But using the guidance of my mentor I have learned alot from reading posts on here and have taken the best qualities and advice that these veterans and business professionals have offered, so that when I'm ready to do this again, I will not make the same mistakes I made in the past. So in the meantime, I ended up taking a breather from trucking and took a job as a security guard. Not the most glamerous job in the world, but it is a steady paycheck to help me get back on my feet and try to save some money to help me build my trucking business again someday, when I feel I'm ready and when the time is right. So now I'm still wiping the dust off, but I still keep up with all the up to date info on EO I haven't given it up just because I'm not on the road anymore. Plus with taking a job with a steady paycheck, I've established a pattern of job stability.

Ok so with all my babbling, hopefully you've gotten my advice to you. As someone on here made a good point. You are not ready to get into expediting with no cash reserve. You should consider a not so glamerous job to save up some money and get a steady paycheck, then when you have some money saved up, approach that fleet owner and then drive for them and not worry about not being paid for 3 weeks. Gain your experience and then follow the dream of being your own boss as an owner operator! It's never a good thing when you have to borrow on money you have not yet earned, ie. cash advances.

Rob, Good Luck with your future endeavor whether it be driving for the FO for C&M or maybe taking a job in a warehouse. Or use that CDL and take an OTR job with one of the major TL carriers where they provide the truck, pay for the fuel, and repair costs and you'll be bringing in a steady paycheck. without the headache of expenses.

Take Care, God Bless, and Drive Safely.

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
I think i am going to be taking a look at eclipse and c&m when i get back to the states..after 10 months i still have a nasty aftertaste of the cat......