Bye bye 100%

fastrod

Expert Expediter
Layout, I thought you WORKED for YOURSELF and were "Contracted to FedEx...I mean "working for" implies you are an "employee" and i know for a fact most here especially greg as told people over and over that those that are "contracted to a carrier" are NOT employees of the carriers....:)

Most on here are "contracted to a carrier" but are treated by the carrier as employees.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Excellent Newt! You are well on your way to embracing and becoming one with stupidity. That first step is the hardest. Next time, instead of refusing the load, first ask for a bonus or a flat rate, especially with minis. Why are you losing your board position for refusing a load? That practice was done away with some time ago.

I would agree with Moot. You should maintain your board position whether you turn something down or not. My personal opinion is acceptance ratings are worthless and a wedge between the contractor and carrier. I really don't care what they are as what we accept or decline is based on a variety of factors, rather than someone sitting in a cubicle that is clueless as to what costs are involved in a particular run. Their job is to cover freight, not to determine the profitability of a run for a contractor.

As for the "purple", they are what they are. The good news is most of the crazy myths have been exploited and debunked. The flowery cheerleading and such have pretty much subsided.

Newtothis

Seasoned Expediter
I would agree with Moot. You should maintain your board position whether you turn something down or not. My personal opinion is acceptance ratings are worthless and a wedge between the contractor and carrier. I really don't care what they are as what we accept or decline is based on a variety of factors, rather than someone sitting in a cubicle that is clueless as to what costs are involved in a particular run. Their job is to cover freight, not to determine the profitability of a run for a contractor.

As for the "purple", they are what they are. The good news is most of the crazy myths have been exploited and debunked. The flowery cheerleading and such have pretty much subsided.

I wish the maintaining board position no matter the load were true. However it was explained on a handout during my December orientation that there are only the ways I mentioned in prior post to keep position while turning down a load offer and they certainly upheld this rule with me. I'm quite surprised no one else here has had similar experience though so I may just call in and clarify again.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
I wish the maintaining board position no matter the load were true. However it was explained on a handout during my December orientation that there are only the ways I mentioned in prior post to keep position while turning down a load offer and they certainly upheld this rule with me. I'm quite surprised no one else here has had similar experience though so I may just call in and clarify again.

I this something the fed is trying with the newbies ? We have been with Fedex 10 years, and we do not lose our board position let alone a dry run status for turning down a load or twenty loads... if we did, we would never be at the top of the board.

Newtothis

Seasoned Expediter
I this something the fed is trying with the newbies ? We have been with Fedex 10 years, and we do not lose our board position let alone a dry run status for turning down a load or twenty loads... if we did, we would never be at the top of the board.

I'm with Panther not FedEx but their system sounds tempting where related to board positions. I know it's more location that matters most times but when you don't know all the spots position sure helps.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Looking at it realistically, I think the acceptance issues are more problematic for van drivers just because there are so many of them. If companies are throwing thousands of dollars out for recruiting straights and tractors, the acceptance probably doesn't mean much.
Still a foolish policy all around practiced primarily by the large carriers. This is the result of a operations/dispatch department not working in concert with their recruiting. The age old battle of one group "trying to screw the pooch" and the other scratching their heads, throwing thousands out the door to recruit drivers and wondering why their contractors have left.
It is amazing how some try so hard to complicate the simple.

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
I'm with Panther not FedEx but their system sounds tempting where related to board positions. I know it's more location that matters most times but when you don't know all the spots position sure helps.

I don't know how vans are dispatched at FedEx, although I assume it would be the same as it is for us straight trucks (we are in a White Glove, "D" straight for FedEx). As far as I know, we have no access to what our actual "position" is on an express center board. (If this is incorrect, please let me know)

We can call in (to the computer) and find out how many trucks our size ("D") and 1 size larger ("E") are checked into our express center. This would exclude "B" (vans) and "C" (smaller straights), so I am not convinced of its usefulness. The most trucks we have ever had in front of us when we have called in was recently in North Carolina, where there were 6. We got a load within an hour of calling in.

Since August (when we started), we have seldom had to wait, as we are usually pre-dispatched, and simply move onto our next load. I am sure every carrier does things differently. Maybe knowing our actual position on a board would help.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Newt, there is something wrong if you are losing your board position for turning down a load. I'm sure it has been well over a year since Panther did away with that practice, unless they reinstated it for newt sign-ons. You will lose a F.O. for a refusal, but shouldn't drop to the bottom. You should get this clarified. Something ain't right.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It is a way for a company to enact "forced dispatch" while denying they operate on a forced dispatch system. The cheerleaders can claim no there is no forced dispatch and technically there isn't but then if you know you are being forced to move from first out to seventh or eleventh in line if you say no that's fairly forced.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Eddie, cut him some slack! He's a Canadian and doesn't have a mastery of the English language. Tarzan often referred to himself in the third person: Tarzan and Cheeta go look for Jane. Bob Dole also referred to himself in the third person: Bob and Cheetah go look for Liddy. Moot go look for food.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah, Moot forgot. Moot will certainly try and deal with the fact that OVM is Moot's next door neighbor.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Eddie, cut him some slack! He's a Canadian and doesn't have a mastery of the English language. Tarzan often referred to himself in the third person: Tarzan and Cheeta go look for Jane. Bob Dole also referred to himself in the third person: Bob and Cheetah go look for Liddy. Moot go look for food.

Steady always wonder why he spelled Labour but Steady can't understand why he will not spell Amour? Steady wonders. eh

leezaback

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
there is no rhym or reason to fedex dispatch-dispatch will say the computer picks the winner of the load, more to the story than whats being told, do you own? work for fleet owner ? or red kw's
it makes alot of difference . you're new-glad you are running good-glad I am no longer in that pit

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
there is no rhym or reason to fedex dispatch-dispatch will say the computer picks the winner of the load, more to the story than whats being told, do you own? work for fleet owner ? or red kw's
it makes alot of difference . you're new-glad you are running good-glad I am no longer in that pit

There probably is a rhyme or reason, they just don't want you to know what it is.