Bye bye 100%

Newtothis

Seasoned Expediter
I got hit with my first refusal and it felt so good! You might say hey what took you so long or so what, but as a new expeditor with only 86 days in service this is a monumental breakthrough moment for me.
I've been ridiculed in the past
( rightfully so) for mentioning my 100% acceptance rating and knew in the back of my mind that was in fact an impending issue but today is a new start. I said NO!

Yes, I finally said NO to a load offer and knew that there were no reasons I could use as an excuse for doing so this time (DH over 40%, dispatched more than 8 hours etc.) nope, notta, it was just a mini...
I had just gotten fed up, coming off a dry run and with other times before not getting any miles by starting my clock on little hardly profitable nonsense and then left sitting after. I've turned down many other load offers but always knew I could do so without hurting my percentage or losing my board position. Today I plain didn't care about those statuses and wasn't afraid to get stuck sitting or deadheading home for the weekend if it came down to it.

I needed this ding in my so called acceptance rating, the next needed turn downs to come will be that much easier. That 100% acceptance rating hasn't been paying my bills, I have. Sure I sailed down to position 12 on the board like a chutes and ladders game board but I climbed right back up and got an over 450 mile run just a couple hours later going 30 miles from home! Win.

I'm a contractor, not a company head with paid benefits and a 401k
Its time to make decisions that are smart and profitable for me also.
It's a new day! I'm learning a lot within my first months. I thought I had it all figured out before I started but everyday has thrown me a new curve ball... I just gotta start being quicker at trying to catch.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Congrats!

Near the end of my OTR carrier (I do dash and back now) I wore out my 'reject' button. I had an amount per mile I had to have to be "profitable" at the rate I wanted. Anything less for all miles on the load I'd reject or counter if we where close. Many times my counter was accepted so if that is a option for you give it a shot. You have nothing to loose by saying you'll do the run at a higher rate. If they take it great, if not oh well.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can remember my first turn down as well....there was silence on the other end for a few seconds..LOL....
Congrats on this step up.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Good for you!! That is the first step in becoming a real expediter. By the way, when you finally become a 'real expediter' please post how you did it. I need to get there! ;)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Roughly 90 days having taken all loads offered is a good time frame, because now you know both the good and bad of many different types of loads. Generally speaking, unless they will pay your plenty extra for doing them, the loads which can be turned down legitimately (40% DH, more than 8, etc.) should be turned down, because they are unprofitable. There are some cases where taking one of those will get you to a better area, so that needs to be considered, as well.

One thing, if you hang around the fringes and get load offers like that, you are more likely to get decent bonus money to run them. For the 40% loads, figure about 90 cents a mile all miles and shoot them that figure for all-in. It's a fair rate with Panther, all things considered, most of the time.

FWIW, I spent most of my time at 100% when I was with Panther. Rarely did I get below 90%. Then again, I hung out around the fringes. When I was in Midwest Hell, my acceptance started to drop, rapidly.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Good for you!! That is the first step in becoming a real expediter. By the way, when you finally become a 'real expediter' please post how you did it. I need to get there! ;)

Go to Landstar.

No wait don't do that, it is already flooded with Purple stuff all over the parking lot in Rockford, wait until they clean it up.

Newtothis, you have to understand that refusing a load should not by any means followed by a move on a virtual board, a punishment of any sort and no one should say you are "cherry picking" - it is all about you and your business, not some made up crap. Your clock is your clock and if you go to a real company where they don't look at clocks but depend on you to say "I don't have time" and accept it, then you won't know what it is like to be a real business person.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
MMM? Is LandStar the Ron Paul of expediting companies? Sorry, don't believe in the 'only my way works for all' plan.

Thanks, OVM. Just wait, still on the first cup!

To the original poster. Good for you. As you are in this business you will develop a plan what works for you with the carrier you are with. You still have a lot of mistakes to make and lessons to learn. That is a big part of the fun in starting this business. Good luck and enjoy the ride!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
MMM? Is LandStar the Ron Paul of expediting companies? Sorry, don't believe in the 'only my way works for all' plan.

Thanks, OVM. Just wait, still on the first cup!

To the original poster. Good for you. As you are in this business you will develop a plan what works for you with the carrier you are with. You still have a lot of mistakes to make and lessons to learn. That is a big part of the fun in starting this business. Good luck and enjoy the ride!

I owed you big time for the other day.....OVM remembers....

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Congrats New!! If it ain't profitable, turn it down...good job ..and the learning continues all the time..just go with it and you will be ok!! :)

Layout, I thought you WORKED for YOURSELF and were "Contracted to FedEx...I mean "working for" implies you are an "employee" and i know for a fact most here especially greg as told people over and over that those that are "contracted to a carrier" are NOT employees of the carriers....:)

Newtothis

Seasoned Expediter
I can remember my first turn down as well....there was silence on the other end for a few seconds..LOL....
Congrats on this step up.

Yes there was silence with my dispatcher as well, a sort of shock and awe quiet then he practically hung up on me. Guess Im not teachers pet anymore:eek:

Newtothis

Seasoned Expediter
Go to Landstar.

No wait don't do that, it is already flooded with Purple stuff all over the parking lot in Rockford, wait until they clean it up.

Newtothis, you have to understand that refusing a load should not by any means followed by a move on a virtual board, a punishment of any sort and no one should say you are "cherry picking" - it is all about you and your business, not some made up crap. Your clock is your clock and if you go to a real company where they don't look at clocks but depend on you to say "I don't have time" and accept it, then you won't know what it is like to be a real business person.

Ya I got sent to detention hall awhile but its alright. As my confidence is increasing Im not afraid to go to the bottom of the line if a load isnt right for me. If Im sitting nearest the next shipper they will come crawling back to the bottom to find me :) I fiqure if I can play by these rules without losing my mind first anywhere else may seem too boring after and maybe make too much sense. Im just getting warmed up to becoming one with the stupidity awhile.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
One of the first things I tell people talking about working with me is I expect them to not have a 100% acceptance rate after the first few weeks because if they do it means they are taking bad loads. Running smart and profitably doesn't mean running 100%.