Bye bye 100%

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I am leased to FedEx. I am not yet an employee there.

You are if you think like that. Your company is do it by my plan company - no exceptions ... sorry.

Don't get my wrong Layout and other purple people, I am not saying it is a bad thing for all and you can't make money with them - just that they are the way they are.

Ya I got sent to detention hall awhile but its alright. As my confidence is increasing Im not afraid to go to the bottom of the line if a load isnt right for me. If Im sitting nearest the next shipper they will come crawling back to the bottom to find me :) I fiqure if I can play by these rules without losing my mind first anywhere else may seem too boring after and maybe make too much sense. Im just getting warmed up to becoming one with the stupidity awhile.

It is the detention thing that is where the problem sits, if you refuse a load, it should be you refuse a load and nothing else. If you are handed some crap about acceptance rate and so on, you are dealing with a company that doesn't see you as an independent business but as part of their employee pool. The problem is say in Layout's case, FedEx down in Green needs an electrician, they don't tell the guy/gal that they don't like the price because it doesn't fit their business model, they have to either accept the price of getting something done or not. If they decide in the middle of the work to take the work away from the guy/gal or to renegotiate the price, they will end up with the bill and nothing completed.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
And the same could be said for Landstar.

Actually no it can't be.

There is a lot to be said that no company is perfect but a package company is not a trucking company and worried about getting there on time at any cost.

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
Actually no it can't be.

There is a lot to be said that no company is perfect but a package company is not a trucking company and worried about getting there on time at any cost.

If you don't follow their rules, they will show you the door, same as FedEx CC.

As far as the whole trucking/package company, in essence, does it really matter? Both take items from point A to point B.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you don't follow their rules, they will show you the door, same as FedEx CC.

As far as the whole trucking/package company, in essence, does it really matter? Both take items from point A to point B.

They both pay money and people do well at both carriers. Some even thrive at both.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
It is the detention thing that is where the problem sits, if you refuse a load, it should be you refuse a load and nothing else. If you are handed some crap about acceptance rate and so on, you are dealing with a company that doesn't see you as an independent business but as part of their employee pool. The problem is say in Layout's case, FedEx down in Green needs an electrician, they don't tell the guy/gal that they don't like the price because it doesn't fit their business model, they have to either accept the price of getting something done or not. If they decide in the middle of the work to take the work away from the guy/gal or to renegotiate the price, they will end up with the bill and nothing completed.

uploadfromtaptalk1331418860847.jpg

--

You know the problem with bad cops? They make the other 5% look bad.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I hope that the original poster does well. His post was a good one. He shared his lessons and, with any luck, some newbie will gain a bit from him. Thank you for a good post. That is what EO is all about.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
True that each company follows their own rules but here is what I have found out, with one company purple, there are rules and then there are rules and sometimes you can't find someone willing to share those with people who don't participate in the fun stuff but want to work. Not knocking the company, but it comes down to control and that's about it, control.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
True that each company follows their own rules but here is what I have found out, with one company purple, there are rules and then there are rules and sometimes you can't find someone willing to share those with people who don't participate in the fun stuff but want to work. Not knocking the company, but it comes down to control and that's about it, control.

I hope that the original poster does well. His post was a good one. He shared his lessons and, with any luck, some newbie will gain a bit from him. Thank you for a good post. That is what EO is all about.

HINT HINT!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
No hint hint, I understood what you said, I am adding more stuff because he may want to hear it or need to hear it.

Please don't decide for people what we do to help others because it seems to be a theme of this site of late.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
He, and anyone else, would do better to learn about FDCC from those who currently are leased with them. If they wish to learn about Landstar they can ask you.

Newtothis

Seasoned Expediter

Thank you. I think I'll make it.
I figured if I can get just one other person to "just say NO"...
LOL

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Anyone that saw "Planet of the Apes" knows what happened after the first ape said "no".

We're gonna rule the world people!!!!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I fiqure if I can play by these rules without losing my mind first anywhere else may seem too boring after and maybe make too much sense. Im just getting warmed up to becoming one with the stupidity awhile.

Excellent Newt! You are well on your way to embracing and becoming one with stupidity. That first step is the hardest. Next time, instead of refusing the load, first ask for a bonus or a flat rate, especially with minis. Why are you losing your board position for refusing a load? That practice was done away with some time ago.

Newtothis

Seasoned Expediter
Excellent Newt! You are well on your way to embracing and becoming one with stupidity. That first step is the hardest. Next time, instead of refusing the load, first ask for a bonus or a flat rate, especially with minis. Why are you losing your board position for refusing a load? That practice was done away with some time ago.

No practice seems to still remain... Detention and slap on wrist for all who say no depending on the dispatcher maybe. I even called contractor relations and they would not restore my position ( had a 1st out from a dry run earlier same day)
There are ways to turn down and always keep position (deadhead over 40%, have in for hometyme and loads going opposite direction, 2nd mini in a row, or load being dispatched 8 hours or more in advance etc) I turned down a 35 mile run with 9 miles of DH that would have totally blew my clock for prime time. I lost 20 percentage points just from this one turn down since I only had 3 loads for the week. Boo hoo.

I have tried for bonus for running minis or high dead head miles but only lucked out once so far there but I will keep trying.

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
He, and anyone else, would do better to learn about FDCC from those who currently are leased with them. If they wish to learn about Landstar they can ask you.

Layout, the only way to learn about FedEx is by signing on with them and learning. There is nothing that prepares one for their type of attitude and type of work other then experiencing it first hand.

The same goes for LS.