Buffet's

HoosierHllyBlly

Seasoned Expediter
My Co-Driver and myself were having breakfeast this morning at the Flying J in W. Memphis Ar this morning. We noticed a lady walking by the buffet and she reached over and grabbed a sausge link from it with her bare hands. Before we could say anything to anyone she done it again as she left. We reported this to the manager and you would think they would pull that tray but the done nothing about it. How do we know were her hands have been and did she just come from the bathroom without washing them. Makes you wonder. Really makes us wonder about eating off them now. I know we wont eat off that one anymore.

Be Safe...Brad

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I'm sure they change the food daily. :7

I know what you're saying. Unfortunately, we can't watch food being prepared till it's placed in front of us. There's no telling if the cook washed his hands. Personally, I would've made a stink about it as the lady did it. A simple "Ma'am... I know you didn't just pick up that sausage with your hands!" in a voice so the restaurant could hear. Make a scene, and the manager will have the tray replaced.

I don't care for the W.Memphis area too much. The truck stops all seem slobby to me, except the Petro isn't bad. Then there's Snowflake, or whatever his handle is, who sells drugs on the cb every night I've passed thru. Just a dump IMO.

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Nope Never eat from a buffet for that reason and food heated by a heat lamp reminds me to much of fast food.

Owner/Operator since 1979
Expediter since 1997
B Unit Semi Retired
Somedays are Diamonds and Somedays are Stones
Home is Wherever you Park.
The Price of Freedom is Written on the Wall.

lanier1

Seasoned Expediter
Buffets are always a question mark but in a rough area truck stop doubly so. Makes that bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios in the truck sound pretty good.

West Memphis is horrible. I like the Pilot on the other side a little better but its just a bad area. The Pilot on 78 is even worse. I was there last summer and saw police cars going in and out. I found out later some fine citizen trucker had been stabbed in his cab by two ladies of ill repute while he was trying to close a $2000 crack deal. The guy that was telling me was lamenting how unsafe it was. I told him perhaps if he hadn't had two prostitutes and attempting to buy drugs maybe, just maybe mind you, he wouldn't have gotten stabbed. Good grief... Geniuses...

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Next time YELL WHAT IN THE HECK ARE DOING!!!! One does not have to be polite, heck you will probably never see another one of those poeple again. But you will humilate the VIOLATOR......

Did this with a kid in a Chinese restaurant at lunch about 4 years ago. I was laughing all the way to my vehicle and so was the rest of the patrons.

PS I no longer do chinese all you can eats....

buckeyewildman

Seasoned Expediter
that is why i don,t like to eat truckstop buffets i once followed a man out of the restroom that had not washed his hands went to the restaurant ordered buffet reached into pan off chicken with his bare hands he probaly moved at least a half a dozen pieces befor making his selection i very loudly said next time you go to restroom please wash your hands before you touch the food or at least use tongs that was the fastest i ever seen anyone pay for his meal and leave the restaurant

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
This isn't just a "truckstop" problem. Watch what goes on at your local Golden Corral, Old Country Buffet, etc. :(

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
When ever I layed over in Memphis I would hang out in Southaven MS.It is off I 55 exit 1 in TN or the next one down in MS.Decent safe area,lots of places to park with no hassle. Also good location as everyone is over in W Memphis so you are closer for Fedex trips and all the industrial parks that are on US 78.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
they remodeled the Flying J in West Memphis so now it isn't nearly as bad as it was. It seems cleaner too. I've really not had much luck with my company getting loads out of that area so I avoid it as much as possible. Besides, it's not exactly a vacation paradise.

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Good job! We need more folks who step up and call some of the antics and lack of manners! I'm for several truckers grabbing the next guy who hasn't showered in a week, with dirty clothes that could stand in a corner by themselves. Like a poor homeless guy, and dragging him into the shower, kicking and screaming... If truckers want more respect, they need to join the human race.
However, what one eats anywhere can be suspect. My rule of thumb is; if it don't taste right, I send it back. I ate at the pilot in Seville last night, and the cod tasted awful. It must be the frozen hockey pucks, as I have run into that before. I sent it back, ate a hamburger instead.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I think most buffets are without a doubt the most unsanitary way to get a meal.

How often do you see in a restroom when some guy comes out of a stall - blows past the sink and soap and makes a beeline for the grub on the smorgasbord?

Brrgghh.

Bacon Bits anyone?

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Music soothes the savage beast - unless it's polka.

Going to church makes you a Christian about as much as standing in the garage makes you a car

You can build a man a fire and keep him warm for a day or you can set a man on fire and keep him warm for the rest of his life.

ACHTUNG!!! Das machine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfuseen und corkenpoppen mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch das blinkenlights

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Buffets were invented by pharmaceutical companies as a way to ensure the public gets sick to sell medicine.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
well there is one named eightball,candyman, and there is now mo chedda. i used to work at the cb shop at the petro in w.memphis.
eightball's line goes something like this.
do you want that good green smoke, that white smoke, them party favors or that buckeye high. kick on over to channel 32 for that eightball come on.
another word of advice he is a cop. he has to be. he's been selling there for close to 10 years and hasn't been busted once.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
pepto bismol made a few dollars off of me the last time i ate buffet at the petro in effingham,ill. it took three bottles and four showers to take care of that deal. needless to say i was late on delivering and don't eat there anymore.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Not me, mon - I get mine to go, lol:p
One of the best things about driving a van, instead of t/t, is the freedom from the limitations of truckstops, but I'm wondering: can you go to restaurants, like Ryan's, in a C or D unit? I've never seen any there...

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Way back when I did have a "D" Unit If there was room in the back of the lot I stopped Wherever to Eat.

Owner/Operator since 1979
Expediter since 1997
B Unit Semi Retired
Somedays are Diamonds and Somedays are Stones
Home is Wherever you Park.
The Price of Freedom is Written on the Wall.