Book Reviews

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator

I thought it would be fun to post about books you have read or listened to you have enjoyed. I down load books from Audible.com to my IPOD and would highly recommend the site as they have a huge selection of audio books.
I am presently listening to the Wal-Mart Effect by Charles Fishman which is about ten hours of listening. The book starts with store number one to the year 2005 and how Wal-Mart has grown but the philosophy has stayed the same always the lowest prices at any cost. What I have found interesting is the purchasing power of Wal-Mart and basically forcing companies to move operations overseas and reduce the quality of their product or they can choose to quit selling to Wal-Mart. One of the companies the author profiles is Snapper Lawnmowers who chose to remove their product from Wal-Mart rather than cheapen their product. One of the ideas the book discusses is that as we are saving money on one hand, in the long run we will pay more in other ways such as what we are doing to the oceans to produce more farm raised salmon. There are also reports on what Wal-Mart does to cities it moves into by putting other businesses out of business and how far away the ripple effect is. Wal-Mart is becoming its own worst enemy though as it moves into the future with their philosophy. I am really enjoying this book and it sure is will make you look at Wal-Mart in a different way.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Linder recommended Audible to me awhile ago, and I've become a regular junkie, lol. Lacking an iPod, I download, then burn to CD, (now there's a Garmin Nuvi on my list, that plays Audible books) and they sure make the miles fly by. (Note: try not to get so engrossed in the story that you miss your exit, as I have done:eek:)
The last one I downloaded is Alex Haley's "Roots", though I generally choose something a little lighter, like PG Wodehouse. And I can't say enough good things about Bill Bryson, the funniest travel writer on the planet, IMO.
Have you heard any good books lately? :)

greg334

Veteran Expediter
This really has little to do with Audio books but it has to do with Walmart. They are forcing the suppliers to redesign packaging so to fit more on trucks and reduce shipping costs.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Wal-Mart has been doing that to suppliers since about day one as the supplier has to package their product to also fit the shelves. Really an intertesting book to listen to.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't do audio books but I like books. Lately I've been rereading some Conan Doyle as well as stuff I haven't read previously from Robert Parker, Dale Brown, Bill Pronzini and others. I've also got a couple of photography books for non-fiction time. If I were to make a move from print I'd be more inclined to go to the Kindle. Maybe when they have a V.2 model.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
And I can't say enough good things about Bill Bryson, the funniest travel writer on the planet, IMO.

I can't either! Cheri and I have traded books on cd and one of the books she gave me was "The Thunderbolt Kid"; by Bill Bryson. If you grew up in the 1950's it is a must read. Even if you weren't alive then, it is still hilarious.

Another source of books on cd is my local library. I can check out books for 3 weeks and renew them on-line for another 3 weeks.

I have been listening to audio books for years, beginning with books on tape (cassettes). Definitely a great traveling companion.

Leo, be careful with those Kindle format books while driving!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I only need one eye to read. That still leaves me one eye for the road. Kidding aside, I don't read while driving. That's XM/Sirius time.

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
I just got this book called "planet walker." It's about this guy who takes a vow of silence for 17 years and walks different parts of the planet for 22 years. All this was due to the oil spill in San Fransisco Bay in 1971. He decided to do his part for the environment in an unconventional way. While doing this, he managed to earn college and graduate degrees and a Ph.D. in land resources. A very interesting man.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Kindle is an electronic format through Amazon. It uses wifi and books can be beamed into it once purchased. You can also get newpapers and other materials for it too. I like the idea of a few dozen books in only a couple of pounds of device/charger/etc.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Planet Walker sounds like a very interesting book to read. Do you have that in audio or hardback?

Has anyone read any of the books by Larry Winget? He is an in your face type of inspirational writer and speaker. Love all of his books and someday hope to attend one of his speaking engagements.

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
I have it in hardback. The guy's name is John Francis, in case you're interested in looking it up or anything. I got it at Barnes and Noble.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
About audio books. Never download from I tunes. Reason if for any reason your book is lost or corrupted, you are screwed. (like when my hard drive went out) I lost my copy of "The WAl-Mart Effect this way.

With Audible.Com you can download again and again as long as you are a member.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I have also noticed redytrk that ITUNES books cost more than audible.com books. I share an account with my daughter which is a great cost savings. We subscribe at a higher level to get more free books. She pays one month and I pay the next and we can share whatever books the other orders. I have had to talk to Audible when I had a problem with my IPOD and they are aware of what we are doing and did not shut our account off. When I have had to call Audible about my problems with my IPOD I have been very happy with their knowledge and how helpful they have been, great company. I was disappointed though that Audible does not have the Harry Potter series only ITUNES has it and I will not order from them.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Atlas Shrugged by Ann Rand

Everytime I see someone post that something has to be done about the fuel prices, the hours of service, or our way of life I think of that book and my blood runs cold. Anyone that thinks we need more government control needs to listen to that book

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
I have just finished a two volume set of Sherlock Holmes. Nice thing about Sherlock is that the stories are short. I will start on volume four or five of Harry Potter sometime this week. I also like John Grisham stuff. While scrounging through my stash of stuff I found a harmonica. Went online and down loaded a couple tunes for harmonica. I expect the local symphony orchestra to come calling at any time now. Either that or the neighbors.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Or the cops....:eek:
BTW, if you like John Grisham, try Scott Turow, he's even better, I think.
I like the annual collections of prize winning short stories, or science fiction, or whatever genre - it helps to find authors that you like. :)

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
cheri, I don't quite understand your signature line: "JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE ONE, YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE ONE" I've inserted anything I can think of, wife, Chevrolet, arm, brain, house, harmonica and I can't quite figure it out. "Friend" doesn't make any sense either. Help??

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Prof...I think she means "the backside of a mule" ;)

I am finally reading "Marley and Me". Anyone with a dog will appreciate the humor. I love it!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I do not know if I could have survived having a dog like Marley my gosh he cost them a fortune in everything he tore up and also the training classes they went to. I laughed at so many parts of that book though on the things that darn dog did! Cried at the end though so be prepared.
Good Book!