Bolt

greg334

Veteran Expediter
In this business a business plan always works if it is allowed to work.

This stuff isn't rocket science nor it has changed in the last 7 years. What has changed is the lack of evolution in this niche market for both the owner and company from blurring of the lines of what and where the frieght is to the lack of the use of technology to the trust of the owner/driver by the company.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have about 11 Januarys and Febs. to compare to....LOL Last year I couldn't miss....this year...wrong place, wrong time....says it all....still had a reasonable 2 months tho....

I don't wanna put words in your mouth, but it almost sounds like you're saying there's some luck involved.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't wanna put words in your mouth, but it almost sounds like you're saying there's some luck involved.

My bad....I have failed to maximize my load opportunities in positioning myself incorrectly according to the collected data...:eyesroll:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
In this business a business plan always works if it is allowed to work.

This stuff isn't rocket science nor it has changed in the last 7 years. What has changed is the lack of evolution in this niche market for both the owner and company from blurring of the lines of what and where the frieght is to the lack of the use of technology to the trust of the owner/driver by the company.

Even if they did, you of anyone knows what freight was there today may not be there tomorrow...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Even if they did, you of anyone knows what freight was there today may not be there tomorrow...

But see that's the problem with the thinking that many have, the frieght isn't anywhere where it is dependable enough to count on. The problem is with the company, they fail the truck when they don't use the resources or trust the owner enough to find work.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
But see that's the problem with the thinking that many have, the frieght isn't anywhere where it is dependable enough to count on. The problem is with the company, they fail the truck when they don't use the resources or trust the owner enough to find work.
You talking booking own loads?Having access to load boards?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You talking booking own loads?Having access to load boards?

Part of it.

See the thing that hasn't changed is the trust issue, most companies do not treat the owner as part of the service chain and as a child. Even yours has problems like that. IF there was the trust, it means that the owner/driver has more latitude to judge loads and be part of the process. How many times have you had a 'dispatcher' ask stupid questions because they wanted you to justify something you did?

The other part of this is the data of what the company has done, I only know of one where you can actually see more than the number of trucks in a given area while at the same time knowing what is going into that area. See to me it is simple, historic data tied with live data is needed to perform as a business, not guessing if the freight may be here or there. Without knowing things like if the loads are being "dispatched" (I'm beginning to think that is the wrong word to us in this market) are internal or external customers or if it is truly expedited freight or just the stuff forgotten or overflow from another shipment, one can not make a good informed decision about how to operate. Most companies don't embrace technology well enough to actually give an owner that info, many just get by.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Part of it.

See the thing that hasn't changed is the trust issue, most companies do not treat the owner as part of the service chain and as a child. Even yours has problems like that. IF there was the trust, it means that the owner/driver has more latitude to judge loads and be part of the process. How many times have you had a 'dispatcher' ask stupid questions because they wanted you to justify something you did?

The other part of this is the data of what the company has done, I only know of one where you can actually see more than the number of trucks in a given area while at the same time knowing what is going into that area. See to me it is simple, historic data tied with live data is needed to perform as a business, not guessing if the freight may be here or there. Without knowing things like if the loads are being "dispatched" (I'm beginning to think that is the wrong word to us in this market) are internal or external customers or if it is truly expedited freight or just the stuff forgotten or overflow from another shipment, one can not make a good informed decision about how to operate. Most companies don't embrace technology well enough to actually give an owner that info, many just get by.

Got it.....Thanks

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
I don't THINK anyone SAID anything ABOUT running 30 PERCENT of THE time. THE person SAID they ONLY took OFF three WEEKS during THE seven MONTHS that HE was SIGNED on WITH the COMPANY. THAT is ABOUT 10 PERCENT of THE time.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
People and their use of capitalizing entire words. Do some of you think we're so stupid that we need you to tell us which words are important?

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
That was just one load, Jim...I am speaking for the whole ball game...maybe for myself or you getting a great rate going in...what would you take to get out?
If they gave me a normal to good load rate going into Laredo and told me they needed help with a cheapo coming back out I would see if the two combined would equal my minimum rate. if so sure. If they offer me it once there I'm not sure I would take it, probably not.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
People and their use of capitalizing entire words. Do some of you think we're so stupid that we need you to tell us which words are important?

That's the point I was trying to make. Actually, I think all the words in a sentence are important or it's just nonsense. Right?

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Part of it.

Thank you for your expert evaluation of my company. :rolleyes:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
John Elliott wrote:

Thank you for your expert evaluation of my company. :rolleyes:
Where is the D*am "LIKE" button!?!?

LOL, you got to love there being a "resident expert" on most every topic posted....