Bolt

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I agree Paul but as long as there are drivers willing to run at those rates it puts you in a tough spot.

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
Probably safer to say that some need to say no to load offers rather than condemn the company.
As independent contractors it is up to each of us to make the best decisions for our business.
After 3 years at Bolt I will say that I have been offered loads below a rate that makes sense. I make the choice of whether to accept or counter offer. That is the way I choose to run my business. Most of the Bolt dispatch team knows better than to waste their time with lowball loads.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Randy, why you want to photoshop anything from Fleet Vision?? I just light mine up and show the pages...there are a few members here that seen the last 6 months for themselves right on the Fleet Vision screen down in Laredo last week.....nothing to hide...its all right there....:D

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Randy, why you want to photoshop anything from Fleet Vision??
Because the report I would post contains certain info - like Travel Order and Pro Numbers, Shipper and Consignee Names - that is, AFAIC, proprietary info of Bolt Express.

That stuff doesn't really belong to me, and don't consider it totally mine to do whatever I want with - most particularly in terms of permanently uploading it to someplace on the internet.

So I would redact that info.

I just light mine up and show the pages...there are a few members here that seen the last 6 months for themselves right on the Fleet Vision screen down in Laredo last week.....nothing to hide ... its all right there ....
Yup - I probably wouldn't have much of a problem with doing that and letting someone have a quick glance at it either (no note taking though :eek:)

;)

(Jeez ... can we the old smilies back ?)

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Here's the numbers for the last full month (November) that I ran - so-so on the loaded miles, deadhead a little higher than I'd like, pretty decent on revenue:

Trips: 14
Total Deadhead Miles To Pickup: 1212
Total Loaded Miles: 5376

Total Revenue To The Truck: $7284.41
Rate Per Mile, Loaded Miles: $1.3549
Rate Per Mile, All Miles: $1.1057

I was doing well and I had an average of $1.12/mile all miles and I believe it was $1.28/mile loaded. I posted this before and I had no trouble recommending Bolt before the decline. It just got to a point where it was run for less or pay them for the privilege of being signed on with them. Your numbers work for you so that is great, I hope others there are doing as well and that Bolt helps their contractors become stronger so that the industry becomes stronger.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
If we ever got an unsolicited offer of $.50 a mile, we'd go to work for a new company immediately. Any company with the conscience (lack) willing to offer $.50 a mile is a company that doesn't seem to care if there owners make it financially, and, in addition, they are willing to support a market price that also does not care if owners make it. Say no to stupidly low rates!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It would be a little different say a van got $1.50 going in....and say takes that.50 outbound....total $2.00 or $1.00 ALL miles...it is the only way to rationalize it.....

I repeat..would you not take $1.00 a mile?...ALL miles for a round tripper? Remember we are always advising people not to look at this biz load by load but what your monthly average is..just saying....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If I read it correctly Paul said that the $0.42 was for a load going to Laredo.

That was just one load, Jim...I am speaking for the whole ball game...maybe for myself or you getting a great rate going in...what would you take to get out?

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I repeat..would you not take $1.00 a mile?...ALL miles for a round tripper? Remember we are always advising people not to look at this biz load by load but what your monthly average is..just saying....

No, we would never take $0.50 a mile, not even balanced by all the loads we ever took in our lifetime! Those sorts of rates do not serve the industry or the owners or the drivers. They ONLY serve to hurt us all to profit someone who doesn't give a rip about you! Let their loads rot on the dock!

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Let their loads rot on the dock!

The won't rot, someone will take them. Most (not all) offering that low of a rate also expect slow boat to china service. Someone will take it to fill out their load, or to cover some fuel costs to get where they want to be.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have been with BOLT for 7 months now and I DON'T live in the CORE AREA ( IA. ) so i don't get HOME as much as some of you. BUT i knew that GOING INTO this business. I have had 5 weeks since i started that WERE what i considered BAD , with that MEANING LESS than 1200. loaded miles for the week, with the worse being 750 loaded miles. I 'M HAPPY with 6000 loaded miles for the month. Like O V M and others have stated you need to look at the BIG picture , MONTHS miles not this WEEKS miles. I just DEADHEADED home for my wifes birthday and LATE valentines day celebration and a few days off. The last 6 weeks out were very GOOD to me , with just a little over 11,200 LOADED MILES and that includes the 2nd week of January being only 900 loaded miles. MOST deadhead was less than 75 miles and the worst being 135 miles. LOWEST RUN PAY was 90 cents a loaded mile and the average of the 6 weeks loads was almost $ 1.00 a loaded mile . NOW for this time of year I'M HAPPY . And yes i said NO to a few LOAD OFFERS that I felt were TOO LOW for where the load was going, the lowest being 85 cents . I 've been to TEXAS 4 times in the 7 months I've been here and have been back out LOADED within 4 days or less, 3 loads paid $ 1.00 a mile and one I took was on a SATURDAY morning for late Sunday night drlivery at 75 cents a mile for 1450 loaded. NOW I've talked to ALOT of different DRIVERS with different companys and I THINK YOU MAKE YOUR OWN FUTURE ( loads) in this business by where you take loads to and TIME SPENT ON THE ROAD instead of running HOME every weekend. IF YOU ARE AVAILABLE FOR LOADS and ONTIME for pickups and deliverys , and REMEMBER where the HONEYHOLES are then BOLT will take CARE of you. SORRY just MY long 2 CENTS werth.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh yeah last i knew BOLT had a FREEZE on cargo vans, but that was as of 2 weeks ago. I see Panther is looking for any TYPE of cargo van, so you better go THERE. ( smiling to self )

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
We've NEVER taken a LOAD for less THAN $0.90 a mile AND never plan to. But then AGAIN, we run a LOT MORE miles than that. Good LUCK!

Last edited:

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
YES i have RUN alot more miles in the first 5 months with BOLT , SEVERAL 2,500 loaded mile weeks. MY POINT was JAN. and FEB. are usually VERY SLOW and by being AVAILABLE for loads I feel has helped ME through the tough times. AS has been STATED on EO before several times WHAT works for some drivers DOESN'T work for others, and that includes DIFFERENT companys. FIND your HAPPY PLACE ( company ) and be available for loads, instead of being HOME 30 % of the time. ITS kind of like comparing DEPARTMENT STORES, some shop HERE and some shop there. NOT every store suits everyone the same.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
YES i have RUN alot more miles in the first 5 months with BOLT , SEVERAL 2,500 loaded mile weeks. MY POINT was JAN. and FEB. are usually VERY SLOW and by being AVAILABLE for loads I feel has helped ME through the tough times. AS has been STATED on EO before several times WHAT works for some drivers DOESN'T work for others, and that includes DIFFERENT companys. FIND your HAPPY PLACE ( company ) and be available for loads, instead of being HOME 30 % of the time. ITS kind of like comparing DEPARTMENT STORES, some shop HERE and some shop there. NOT every store suits everyone the same.

I have about 11 Januarys and Febs. to compare to....LOL Last year I couldn't miss....this year...wrong place, wrong time....says it all....still had a reasonable 2 months tho....

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
OVM thats kind of my point. In this business, A BUSINESS PLAN may work this month but NOT next month , you need to keep your wheels ROLLING to make MONEY. OH YEAH OVM i unloaded in Romulus, by airport 2 weeks ago today and was starting to DH out of Detroit (bolt had 18 vans there ) and I STUMBLED past the LOAD 1 office, so i quickly turned around and went in the LOT looking for A SPRINTER with South Dakota PLATES , BUT didn't see one so I quickly LEFT. Didn't want to get TOWWED OFF.