Bolt

canesman07

Seasoned Expediter
I am looking for an honest assessment of what it is like to drive for them. I am contemplating contacting them. I have heard conflicting stories so I could use some straight talk about their operations.

Any info would be great.

I drive a CV but moving up to a Box Van.

Thanx in advance.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
There are better companies out there, I wouldn't risk my future on them. They reach deep into your pockets for income and I think they are rather dishonest. I'm still waiting on my escrow to be returned which they said I should have on Monday so I will see if they are able to handle this with any integrity.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
I've been told their name is what you should do. BOLT! looks like the stories I have heard match the other posters.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
There are better companies out there, I wouldn't risk my future on them. They reach deep into your pockets for income and I think they are rather dishonest. I'm still waiting on my escrow to be returned which they said I should have on Monday so I will see if they are able to handle this with any integrity.

You left already? where ya going next? how long were you there?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
You left already? where ya going next? how long were you there?

I went back to driving TT for a company called Cutts Specialized Transportation running an RGN. I was with Bolt for 7-8 months and they were a good company in the beginning but their fees went up and the rates went down. I had one offer to go to Laredo for .42/mile. My average per mile rate dropped by about .20/mile and the fees were just eating up the money that I was getting from only getting 1 run a week. I hope they lose enough people and get the message so that they will at least change back so they will be a company that I would recommend to beginners.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
.42 in and they offer .48 -.50 out....gee whiz....

sounds like it is about time to throw them out of the Alliance just for their cut throat way they operate.....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If she's reading this thread, she must be hiding her face with shame...

Not really..she believes the company line....I would imagine she tells recruits...."there will be times when dispatch asks you to take a lower rate, you can turn it down"....that covers about the whole thing...

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I can only speak to the almost 4 yrs i was with them...

1st Anne in recruiting will NOT lie to you..she is a honest good person.

2nd when i left is was not because i wasn't making money (and i know people there that have been there for yrs that are still making money) and if I left Load 1 (not a chance in hades), I'd go back there as my 1st choice. I never Grossed less then $90,000 other then my 1st yr which started in July.

3rd You will learn the business from a company and dispatch crew that knows how to do it....

4th Paul above was there after I had left and what he posted, I have heard from a few others...I wouldn't try to dispute it as i know Paul to be honest and likeable also...That being said, I also know others that are doing fine and getting miles and making money...The key for them is like it is with others, learning their system and working it to your advantage....

Again, my experience was good, but i stayed out a minimum of 21 days at a time. I had no problem running empty on my own dime to put my self in a better place to get loaded (an example of that is after i was at home and out of service, when i went back in service...9 out of 10 times, i would head towards Chicago...most times i would get dispatched after i got into Indiana.....). I also turned down very few runs..you need to beaware of just what you need to be profitable and make decisions on that and most important, WHERE IS THAT LOW PAYING RUN GOING TO LEAVE ME......it might be smart to take a lower paying run to get you to a better freight area, and you will learn those areas over time.

One very important thing... you need know that they will TRY to get you to run cheap...once you take that really low paing run, they will try it everytime.....don't go there...and when you do (to get to a better freight area) make sure you tell them not to get use to it.

As I said Pauls info is newer then mine (i got my escrow back within 10 days, all of it) If "RLENT" doesn't post on this thread, (you usually doesn't get into this type of stuff) you might message him...he has been there for yrs and does very well....

If you call, DO NOT talk to anyone in recruting other then ANNE.....and Tell her Chef said "HI"

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Things have changed a lot there even in the short time I was there I noticed a downward slide. I was doing very well with my per mile rate but it dropped considerably as the only load offers would be for .75/mile on Friday after getting nothing all week. The dispatch crew isn't very steady anymore since it was like a revolving door. We left officially in December and they claim the escrow check is in the mail which they say I should have on Monday so the 10 days was passed a long time ago. I would say both chef and OVM are right about Anne, I don't think she is lying intentionally but is just not aware how much is being earned. I think the biggest problem is the company has been to concerned with growth but forgotten you need to keep the people you have and keep them happy otherwise quality takes a dive. I think they can recover from this problem but they need to act fast before their reputation takes more of a hit than it has. This was a company I recommended people go to and would do so in the future if they ever decided to get their fees under control and kept their hands out of the contractor's pay.

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
I can only speak to the almost 4 yrs i was with them...

1st Anne in recruiting will NOT lie to you..she is a honest good person.
3rd You will learn the business from a company and dispatch crew that knows how to do it....

One very important thing... you need know that they will TRY to get you to run cheap...once you take that really low paing run, they will try it everytime.....don't go there...and when you do (to get to a better freight area) make sure you tell them not to get use to it.

As I said Pauls info is newer then mine (i got my escrow back within 10 days, all of it) If "RLENT" doesn't post on this thread, (you usually doesn't get into this type of stuff) you might message him...he has been there for yrs and does very well....

If you call, DO NOT talk to anyone in recruiting other then ANNE.....and Tell her Chef said "HI"

Can I double quote Chef's advice?
Do Not Take the Cheap Load Offers. DO give counter offers. When offered a load, tell them what rate you need for the load. Very often you will get the load for a decent rate.
Anne is the one to answer your questions.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Plausible denieability?

No, not on anne's part....This is the lady that saved me hundreds of thousands of dollars as i was ready to sign to by a brand new ST 3 months after i signed with bolt in a CV..she brought me in and showed me that the way i worked I was making as much or more then alot of their ST's..yea, i would have been at the top of the income level based on how i worked, but my expenses would have gone up also and not in proportion...

Anne is honest, she won't hide a thing and will tell you right up front what is what and let you know if this is even the right business for you...she doesn't simply want you add you to the fleet just to add you, she wants her recruits to make it...That s why I tell people to ONLY talk to ANNE, no one else in that office will be as up ft as her....and no she isn't my sister..:D

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Can I double quote Chef's advice?
Do Not Take the Cheap Load Offers. DO give counter offers. When offered a load, tell them what rate you need for the load. Very often you will get the load for a decent rate.
Anne is the one to answer your questions.

They will raise it usually by $50 and I was told no when I asked for $100 because I wanted at least $1/mile to go to Minnesota from Tennessee. I'm not sure if those increases are the same for you guys on the ST.