Become an Expediter, See the Country

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Seeing the country is a reason cited by many people for entering the expediting business. Of course you have to run a profitable business to make a long-term go of it, but as far as seeing the country goes, you can certainly do so as an expediter.

To provide readers with a visual of the ground Diane and I cover, I added these trip maps to my web site. We got into expediting in 2003 partly to see the country and have not been disappointed. Indeed, we continue to delight in the travel and tourism this business involves.

Note that a lot of the country seen is seen as we drive through it at night while on a long run or during the day when the freight does not provide the freedom to stop. Still, even through the windshield, it is fun to see the country, and there are plenty of layovers that provide tourist opportunities.

Note that we haul freight for a particular division with a particular carrier. Market areas vary by carrier and truck type and by individual expediter load acceptance and deadhead strategies.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Great timing, this coincides with the up coming new service "Vacations In Trucks" being offered to the public by some entrepreneur truckers.

I always liked the saying - if you want to be a tourist, get an rv.

I do like the last paragraph
Note that we haul freight for a particular division with a particular carrier. Market areas vary by carrier and truck type and by individual expediter load acceptance and deadhead strategies.
Nice disclaimer.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Greg wrote:

I always liked the saying - if you want to be a tourist, get an rv.

Ok, but why!? Why not do something you like and get paid for it also?? While i work a hard as the next guy or gal, I could have bought a RV, but hauling freight lets me make money AND see the country....:rolleyes:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Chef, business first, play later.

Promoting the obvious seems to step away from reality. Let's say it is an added bonus but not a reason to become an expediter, that is a foolish and rather dumb reasoning - to enter a business when you are putting in a bunch of money into a truck and equipment then go through the hassle to learn a business just to be a traveler. You know what I mean?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Sure business needs the attention to continue. But there are people here in this industry that are retired and that haul for rate that most wouldn't touch, thatusually is the cost of the fuel needed for each run. Their trucks are paid for and they only ask that the business pay for itself, not their day to day expenses.

This reminnds me of the "Regulate the van" complaints. I think it is nothing more then those that can do, and those that can't whine.....

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sure business needs the attention to continue. But there are people here in this industry that are retired and that haul for rate that most wouldn't touch, thatusually is the cost of the fuel needed for each run. Their trucks are paid for and they only ask that the business pay for itself, not their day to day expenses.

And they just f--- it up for the rest of us, don't they?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Highway wrote:

And they just f--- it up for the rest of us, don't they?

Lifes a B*tch ain't it... There are people in every profession that do things that tick off others doing the same job...like non-union workers...people working under the table.....people working in right to work state that can either join a union or not , bith in the same shop....But....if its really that bad for you....Maybe barry will "spread the wealth" around for you....:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Promoting the obvious seems to step away from reality. Let's say it is an added bonus but not a reason to become an expediter, that is a foolish and rather dumb reasoning - to enter a business when you are putting in a bunch of money into a truck and equipment then go through the hassle to learn a business just to be a traveler. You know what I mean?

And to quote Phil when he clearly says that he didn't get into expediting just to be a "tourist".

.....but as far as seeing the country goes, you can certainly do so as an expediter.

We got into expediting in 2003 partly to see the country and have not been disappointed.

.....there are plenty of layovers that provide tourist opportunities.

Same old years long Greg doesn't like Phil rhetoric, that's all.

My opinion. Don't like it, tough.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If someone wants to use the business of expediting as a means to the end of seeing the country, I think that's fine. Saying "business first, play later," that assumes business isn't play. I got into expediting because I like to drive and see the country, and expediting allows me to do that. There's something to be said for being able to see the snow capped Rockies from up within the altitudes of the Rockies, wild elk and antelope, bald eagles, falling stars in the night sky of Wyoming and Montana, seemingly endless deserts, spectacular waterfalls and river gorges, the vast farms of the plains coming to life in the Spring, and the palm trees and snowy egrets and alligators of Florida, all of which I've seen in just the last few weeks. I would hate to have been oblivious to all that because I was concentrating on business first and play later. I don't go to work to work, I go to have fun. Life is what you make it.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
If someone wants to use the business of expediting as a means to the end of seeing the country, I think that's fine. Saying "business first, play later," that assumes business isn't play. I got into expediting because I like to drive and see the country, and expediting allows me to do that. There's something to be said for being able to see the snow capped Rockies from up within the altitudes of the Rockies, wild elk and antelope, bald eagles, falling stars in the night sky of Wyoming and Montana, seemingly endless deserts, spectacular waterfalls and river gorges, the vast farms of the plains coming to life in the Spring, and the palm trees and snowy egrets and alligators of Florida, all of which I've seen in just the last few weeks. I would hate to have been oblivious to all that because I was concentrating on business first and play later. I don't go to work to work, I go to have fun. Life is what you make it.

And finally here is something I agree 100% with when it comes to what Tortoise has to say.

All my years of OTR, I was not 100% "all business" when I had a load on my truck. I was able to see sights just as mentioned above loaded and unloaded, sights I may never have been able to see working a 9 to 5 Mon-Fri same building every single day gig. OTR is not just a "Job", a "Career", a "way of life", it also provides an adventure that many may never ever get to experience in their lifetime.

I applaud Phils outlook and insight on this issue and believe others may also consider this added "Perk" (Paid Tourist) when making their decision on whether to give expediting a try or not.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Well said turtle. As for business 1st...which business?? There are more then a few right here on EO that run more then 1 business from the seat of their truck...I believe Phil is doing "Day Trading" from their truck....Me calls and set appointments, schedule employees, set menus, and do follow up with clients, all from the seat of the Van. All while i also haul freight.....

As Turtle said, I like to drive. I drove my dads trucks when i was younger, got away from it for yrs, found expediting and decided i could do it and see the country.

The key is doing it in a way that works for all involved...some can, some can't....

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Most careers offer some type of side benefit. One could:

Join the Navy and see the world.
Enter politics, lie and get paid for it.
Become a gynecologist, practice medicine and meet women.
Buy a van, become an expediter and tick people off.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Interesting... I agree with most of what is said, I took the opposite point of view for a reason, which had little to do with Phil - surprisingly.

In the past five months, I have noticed more questions to do with the who, what, whys and hows than to do with travel coming from newbies in the past 6 months or so. The fluff pieces seemed to have wained for a while.

BUT the other thing is just because I seem to want to regulate the van - which I really don't - I think vans are the place to be to accomplish the tourist thing. The van allows the flexibility and actually most if not all places someone would go to in order to spend a say or two, van fit. Trucks on the other hand, seem to be an issue for a number of camp grounds and even a few parks.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Seeing the beauty of this great country is a great perk of this biz. I would never run just for fuel money to do it. Ever. That's the part I take issue with. When shippers get a taste of shipping their freight that cheap, they think it should always be so. Yeah, it goes on. I know there's nothing I can do about it, and I don't lose sleep over it. It just makes it tough on the folks that wanna earn a living.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Since I became a truck driver, over 30 years ago,before expediting,and since,I have been places and seen things most people don't get to see in a life time.I get paid to be on a constant vacation.
In the beginning I was like a tourist,from pictures of the state line markers,to carrying my bowling balls,and golf clubs,and used them many times.It would take to long to tell all I've seen,from the stars in the Western sky's to Mt Rushmore,Niagra Falls,Been to most all the Nascar tracks,the list goes on and on.
Been in both Canada and Mexico,How can you not love this business

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
Chef, business first, play later.

That is strictly your opinion. I know and have known a number of folks who, aside from needing to make a living, felt they could kill two birds with one stone, myself included, by hauling freight and seeing the country at the same time. Most of these particular people are glad they did it, even the ones who have since moved on to something else...

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
How can you not love this business

Let me count a few ways:
When ya let it become a job.
Flat tires.
The truck next to ya hauls it for a $ after you said no.
Traffic.
Snow,Ice,Driving rain.
Phone on hold,no concact # or address for p-up.
I could go on,,but I like my job.

And the part I Hate most of all,Coming on up on dead and injured people on the interstate.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Yep it sure is my opinion, it is that same opinion that seems to be behind the help to others who have fallen for the same BS line that this is an easy way to make a living.

I wouldn't go so far to say Most who say they are glad they did this, maybe some but not most.

But put into context of what I and others seem to be saying - it isn't about the seeing the country but rather the problem when that becomes the one and only goal.

I think Highway seems to be saying it a different way but nonetheless - most seem to b*tch about cheap rates and while a lot of us hold the line on rates and struggle with rates that seem to be lower than they should be, a lot of others accept it as part of the great big vacation concept and enable the companies to continue to lower the rates. Just enough to pay the insurance and gas and that's it - who cares if the run is for 50 cents a mile, it is getting me to where I want to go - see the USA in my Chevrolet, literally.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's pretty amusing to think that a really small percentage of expediters who are in it for the vacation angle are so powerful and ubiquitous so as to be able to allow companies across the board to continue to lower rates.